Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Feedback on Jedi character will ALL the colors  (Read 5668 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: January 14, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »

Typically. my Jedi character has been a Consular with paired green sabers.  As I anticipate the arrival of my first Ultrasabers, I've started thinking deeper in his backstory and how he may have owned lightsabers of at least 5 canon colors: Yellow, Green, Blue, Red and Violet

What I'd like feedback on is the order in which those colors were obtained within the current SW canon.
Here what I'm thinking: Starts with Blue as a Padawan, but becomes a Senitnel sometime before Order 66 (so has a yellow saber-pike)

After Order 66, he survives but turns temporarily to the dark side and converts his original Blue to Red. He quickly realizes that he's in over his head with the larger events in the Galaxy and pulls back to the light and his saber somewhat "heals" to a Violet (but not fully pure like Asoka's white sabers).

As he grows older and wiser, but eventually loses the Violet saber, he remakes a saber based on his old Sentinel staff but the crystals turn green.  So he finally settles on a pair of short sabers that can either be paried or coupled as a short staff.

Thoughts?
Oh, and BTW, I plan on actually having sabers that reflect these.  A Phantasm V2 in CG with 24" blades and a fancier saber with sound/FoC in VA with color discs to make it Blue or Red

-

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 05:31:13 PM »

Hey Galef!

Overall I like your progression, but I would add a wrinkle - when he builds his Sentinel saber pike, he keeps his original padawan saber as a backup. Then, during Order 66, his pike is destroyed but he survives in part because he has that backup.

That would give you a wrinkle, explain why he has a new saber and color, and why he reverted to his original. (Which then goes red).

One note:  I would be a little afraid of filtering AV to blue or red, just because it will likely dim it quite a bit. It should work, but you'd basically be removing half the light for either primary color.  For your primary VA/Blue/Red saber you might instead look into either getting a Diamond controller, or get a hilt that can be equipped with quick disconnects so you can swap out the LED module when you want to change colors.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »

Hey Galef!

Overall I like your progression, but I would add a wrinkle - when he builds his Sentinel saber pike, he keeps his original padawan saber as a backup. Then, during Order 66, his pike is destroyed but he survives in part because he has that backup.

That would give you a wrinkle, explain why he has a new saber and color, and why he reverted to his original. (Which then goes red).

One note:  I would be a little afraid of filtering AV to blue or red, just because it will likely dim it quite a bit. It should work, but you'd basically be removing half the light for either primary color.  For your primary VA/Blue/Red saber you might instead look into either getting a Diamond controller, or get a hilt that can be equipped with quick disconnects so you can swap out the LED module when you want to change colors.
I appreciate the feedback. I'll certainly incorporate that into the background

Regarding the diamond controller: I doubt I will ever invest that much into a glorified glow stick (and I mean that in a good way).  Adding Emerald, Diamond or Obsidian options just take these out of my price range for a single purchase.

I've got a pair of Aeon V2s in VA with color discs on the way for my boys.  I plan on testing it out on those to check vibrancy and brightness.  My Tri-CG V2s are where I'm focused on brightness for me.  Even if VA + discs is kinda dim, I'll still probably get my sound saber in that color since it's great on its own and doesn't sacrifice brightness for FoC (like Tri-cree does).

If my boys don't like the Blue/Red option for their sabers from VA, we can get them Tri-cree Blue and Red later on.

-

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 06:39:56 PM »

I appreciate the feedback. I'll certainly incorporate that into the fluff

Regarding the diamond controller: I doubt I will ever invest that much into a glorified glow stick (and I mean that in a good way).  Adding Emerald, Diamond or Obsidian options just take these out of my price range for a single purchase.

I've got a pair of Aeon V2s in VA with color discs on the way for my boys.  I plan on testing it out on those to check vibrancy and brightness.  My Tri-CG V2s are where I'm focused on brightness for me.  Even if VA + discs is kinda dim, I'll still probably get my sound saber in that color since it's great on its own and doesn't sacrifice brightness for FoC (like Tri-cree does).

If my boys don't like the Blue/Red option for their sabers from VA, we can get them Tri-cree Blue and Red later on.

-

Sounds like a good plan!   Being able to test it out will help a lot. I know from my own experience with filters that the closer to a monochromatic color I get (red, blue, green) the darker the blade was, because you're blocking more light to get the desired color.  This way you can test it and make sure its not to dark.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »

My thinking with VA is that unlike White that has RGB in it, thus you have to block 2 colors to get a pure version of the third, VA only has RB. So if I want Blue, I only need to block the Red and vice versa. Shouldn't be as dim as trying to get Blue or Red from white, hopefully.
And having a white FoC should be interesting with the color discs

-

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »

My thinking with VA is that unlike White that has RGB in it, thus you have to block 2 colors to get a pure version of the third, VA only has RB. So if I want Blue, I only need to block the Red and vice versa. Shouldn't be as dim as trying to get Blue or Red from white, hopefully.
And having a white FoC should be interesting with the color discs

-

That's a good point. Smiley I have a VA saber, I may have to give that a try...

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »

Typically. my Jedi character has been a Consular with paired green sabers.  As I anticipate the arrival of my first Ultrasabers, I've started thinking deeper in his backstory and how he may have owned lightsabers of at least 5 canon colors: Yellow, Green, Blue, Red and Violet

What I'd like feedback on is the order in which those colors were obtained within the current SW canon.
Here what I'm thinking: Starts with Blue as a Padawan, but becomes a Senitnel sometime before Order 66 (so has a yellow saber-pike)

After Order 66, he survives but turns temporarily to the dark side and converts his original Blue to Red. He quickly realizes that he's in over his head with the larger events in the Galaxy and pulls back to the light and his saber somewhat "heals" to a Violet (but not fully pure like Asoka's white sabers).

As he grows older and wiser, but eventually loses the Violet saber, he remakes a saber based on his old Sentinel staff but the crystals turn green.  So he finally settles on a pair of short sabers that can either be paried or coupled as a short staff.

Thoughts?
Oh, and BTW, I plan on actually having sabers that reflect these.  A Phantasm V2 in CG with 24" blades and a fancier saber with sound/FoC in VA with color discs to make it Blue or Red

-
I really love how you employ each color's provenance in your character's backstory, Galef!  Even in just a short excerpt, there is an interesting character study at work; I'd enjoy reading more!

And your choice of Sentinels is a fantastic choice, either as separate hilts or as a saberstaff (I own several Sentinels and they are a favorite of mine  Wink).  Question: are both shotos or just the V2 with the 24" blade?  As you know doubt have guessed, we here in the Forums love details  Grin

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 05:31:28 PM »

Thanx for the interest Dutchman.  My V2 stunt staff will be made from Initiate hilts, however I'll be adding some length with PVC custom handles.
I really need a quicker method to change from staff to paired, and since V2s are not MHS compatible, I've made my own "quick release" coupler out of a female/male PVC twist connectors.  One hilt uses the female end as a pommel, the other uses the male end

Not as quick as the MHS QR coupler, but 1 single action to couple and uncouple, instead of the follow 4:
-unscrew hilt A from couple
-unscrew hilt B from couple
-screw on pommel A
-screw on pommel B

With the PVC attachment each hilt will be just over 12 inches, so even though they are Initiate V2s, they'll be the same length as Aeon V2s and thus a combined staff length of 24".  With 24" blades (22" realized on either side) that brings the total length to ~68" or 5'8'.  Since I am 5'10, this should put that at a very comfortable height for me.
I also like the shorter blades as they look similar to the Jedi Sentinels' saber pike, even though mine will be green

And on the story side of things, I really like the character arc of being a brash young Guardian as a Padawan, becoming an off-world Sentinel upon knighthood, briefly succumbing to the Darkside after Order 66 before turning back to the Light and finally settling into the role of Consular as a fully formed Jedi master

-

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 09:02:28 PM »

So slight update: I've had my Phantasm V2 for a while now and my sons VA saber worked great with discs to be Blue or Red
So whenever my saber with sound arrives, I know it will work with my back story
I've decided that while my character became a Jedi Sentinel upon knighthood, he was given the Yellow saber pike per ceremonial tradition, and so did not build that himself. He lost the saber pike during Order 66, but only escaped because he had his Padawan blue saber with him at the time

So the progress of saber colors build by my character would be:
Guardian Blue as a Padawan
Turned to the Dark side shortly after Order 66 and bled his saber Red
Not long after, he realized this path would not end well and turned back to the light, somewhat "healing" his saber to Violet as he helped the innocent from the shadows
Eventually he decided to build another saber since his current one was his Padawan saber.
As a master, he created a Consular green staff that can be split as paired shotos

-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »

So slight update: I've had my Phantasm V2 for a while now and my sons VA saber worked great with discs to be Blue or Red
So whenever my saber with sound arrives, I know it will work with my back story
I've decided that while my character became a Jedi Sentinel upon knighthood, he was given the Yellow saber pike per ceremonial tradition, and so did not build that himself. He lost the saber pike during Order 66, but only escaped because he had his Padawan blue saber with him at the time

So the progress of saber colors build by my character would be:
Guardian Blue as a Padawan
Turned to the Dark side shortly after Order 66 and bled his saber Red
Not long after, he realized this path would not end well and turned back to the light, somewhat "healing" his saber to Violet as he helped the innocent from the shadows
Eventually he decided to build another saber since his current one was his Padawan saber.
As a master, he created a Consular green staff that can be split as paired shotos

-
I really like how you worked the technical logistics into your character creation, Galef.  Like I said: I'd enjoy reading more  Smiley

If you're stuck, might I suggest that you peruse any (and all!) story(ies) by Karmack, Lord_S_Gray, Taegin Roan, TheDrunkenConsular, and Lady Revan's.  They ALL have EXCELLENT works right here in the Forums.  And should you feel so inclined ***shameless plug*** I've written a few myself... should you be interested   Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »

I really like how you worked the technical logistics into your character creation, Galef.  Like I said: I'd enjoy reading more  Smiley

If you're stuck, might I suggest that you peruse any (and all!) story(ies) by Karmack, Lord_S_Gray, Taegin Roan, TheDrunkenConsular, and Lady Revan's.  They ALL have EXCELLENT works right here in the Forums.  And should you feel so inclined ***shameless plug*** I've written a few myself... should you be interested   Wink
Thanx. Part of what I am waiting for is my VA Sentinel v5 to arrive that I ordered in January.
Then I will add pictures slightly altering my costume to reflect the character's journey. So mostly white tunic as a padawan/knight with blue saber; black tunic, mask & cloak as a Dark Sider (maybe as an Inquisitor?) with red saber; then finally in a mixed black & white outfit with the purple saber.

-

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »

As promised, here are the character shots of my Jedi with the different blade colors:

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 05:10:31 AM »

Nice montage, and that mask for the 'Red phase' freaky definitely freaky...the whole mirror thing that when in a fight they are looking at their own face in reflection would be a definite psychological hit from the get go.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »

As promised, here are the character shots of my Jedi with the different blade colors:

Galef, I love it!  I really like the mirror mask.   :-)

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 10:21:02 PM »

Got another story update.

To recap, my character starts out as a Guardian Padawan (blue saber) and during the Clone Wars, was promoted to Sentinel (but not Temple Guard) and sent on an off world mission in the outer rim.
That's how I survived order 66 because I wasn't near any clones at the time, although when I did encounter a small group it did cause me to lose my Yellow pike as I escaped.
Hearing about the desolation of the Jedi order is what caused my eventual turn to the Dark side, and I donned the black cloak, mask and turned my original blue saber red.

It was an encounter with an Inquisitor months later and the loss of my left hand that made me turn back to the light.
I realized that the dark side only offered 2 paths: become an Inquisitor myself or death.
So I meditated and slowly healed my saber to purple.

Less than a year later I would create a new saber to symbolize my final transition to Jedi Consular.
This green staff had shorter blades than a typical saber as they were meant for defense.
During the rule of the Empire my character stayed in the shadows protecting the innocent like a vigilante. Always avoiding the attention of the Empire if possible.

-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: