Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Battery Pack Cushioning  (Read 2074 times)
SaberiusPrime
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

Live life on the edge, or not at all!

« on: January 14, 2020, 06:39:29 PM »

I've been thinking about doing a modification to keep my battery pack in with my sabers from sliding up and down inside the hilt during dueling. What do you guys use for cushioning? I've read somewhere you can use it like a c-clip/clamp?

Sabers Owned: Spectre in Arctic Blue with Obsidian V4, Fulcrum in Consular Green w/o Sound. Sold Sabers: Initiate V2 in Guardian Blue w/o Sound, and Initiate V3 in Guardian Blue with Obsidian V2.

Light Side points preferred, when warranted.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 06:48:44 PM »

I actually cut a circle of packing material and insert that between the pommel and the battery pack.  Makes a nice cushion.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

SaberiusPrime
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:54:22 PM »

I actually cut a circle of packing material and insert that between the pommel and the battery pack.  Makes a nice cushion.  :-)

What about between the battery pack and the power switch? I got a bunch of dead space there that my battery pack slides up and down in.

Sabers Owned: Spectre in Arctic Blue with Obsidian V4, Fulcrum in Consular Green w/o Sound. Sold Sabers: Initiate V2 in Guardian Blue w/o Sound, and Initiate V3 in Guardian Blue with Obsidian V2.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »

above the battery case is a bit harder, you need the center clear for the cables to be pushed up and come back down when the batteries are swapped.

How about some tagboard (a thicker non corrugated carboard), cut to size and rolled into a tube of a to-be-tested length. The length should be be figured out to stop against the activation switch to the end, minus the length of the battery pack.  My assumption is the activation switch has plastic/metal retention bits on the inside of the hilt, not just wiring (do not want to be bumping into wiring).

Wrap and slide that into the hilt, then let the battery pack push it into position.  That should end up in a nice place above the pack, so if the pack does slide up, it'll bump into the tagboard bumper cylinder.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 11:49:52 PM »

I've been thinking about doing a modification to keep my battery pack in with my sabers from sliding up and down inside the hilt during dueling. What do you guys use for cushioning? I've read somewhere you can use it like a c-clip/clamp?

I use a brand-new un-soapy kitchen sponge between the battery pack and the pommel, and I just (gently) push the batteries in as far as they go, then cut the sponge so that it has to compress a LITTLE bit when I tighten the pommel.  Why a brand-new un-soapy kitchen sponge?  Well, because it’s brand-new, it’s both dry and clean, never having been in the dishwater.  Being brand-new also means that it has plenty of “bounce to the ounce” because it’s not been worn down.  Because it doesn’t have soap put into it at the factory, I don’t have to worry about tiny flakes of soap working their way out of the sponge and into the electronics.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 12:20:02 AM »

doesn't that muffle the sound?

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:32:42 AM »

doesn't that muffle the sound?

Nope... I don’t use this in my Diamond saber (the only one I currently own that has sound), because the innards don’t move (and yeah, that would REALLY muffle the sound if I put the sponge there, you’re right).

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 01:00:13 AM »

I use AC foam on other projects, and if a sponge could work, AC foam should work even better as it is softer and just as easy to cut.  You can get all you need for a whoel collection of sabers for like $1-$2 at Wal-Mart in their hardware section

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 01:22:14 AM »

I use AC foam on other projects, and if a sponge could work, AC foam should work even better as it is softer and just as easy to cut.  You can get all you need for a whoel collection of sabers for like $1-$2 at Wal-Mart in their hardware section

-

Fair point, and thanks for the idea.  The sponge was under the kitchen sink, so I used it.  I’d have had to go buy AC foam (and now I just might, since I’ve used up the sponge now).

+1 point for the idea, by the way.  Smiley

SaberiusPrime
Knight Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 01:32:21 AM »

So here's the mod I did. I picked up a C-clip from Ace for 65 Cents in 1, and 1/8 diameter. Using a pipe wrench, I squeezed it until it could be pushed in. Using a screwdriver and a hammer, I tapped it down into place, and noticed that it left grooves in the metal as it seems to keep it's original shape. So I don't think it's going anywhere. Looking back on it I should have probably went with the foam route....it was a pain in the caboose to do.

SaberiusPrime
Knight Officer

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 04:47:42 AM »

Tried that on a non-Ultrasabers hilt to test and it works, but it's difficult to install. Not going to bother with my Ultrasabers hilts. Too much work for something so simple.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 11:57:17 AM »

I like that idea, good one SaberiusPrime. What side of the Force do you lean towards?

SaberiusPrime
Knight Officer

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »

I like that idea, good one SaberiusPrime. What side of the Force do you lean towards?

Light side, please!

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »

Maybe a bit oldschool, but I just wrap an extra layer of velcro strap around the batterypack. It's just loose enough to let it slide in and out (with a bit of help) but keeps it perfectly in place when spinning or duelling.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Cern
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 05:14:43 PM »

i found a pack of self-stick felt bumpers at the dollar store: