Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Same new buyer. Decided on a double blade. Are Adegan Silver discs worth it?  (Read 1247 times)
Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

Sith rejecting the dark side. Light points here.

« on: January 15, 2020, 12:01:38 AM »

So I've decided on a double bladed saber. I also want Arctic Blue as the colors, but is it worth it to order the Adegan Silver + color discs instead?

Waiting to get: Apprentice v4 staff: Sentinel Yellow (both sides), Stunt
Planning to get: Empress LE Adegan Silver and Discs, LITE sound, no FoC
Wishlist:
Crimson Menace Fire Orange Obsidian v4
Crimson Fallen Fire Orange, Obsidian v4

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:17:56 AM »

I don't have a saber yet, but I've been doing tons of research both on this forum and on YouTube.

From what I've gathered, AS + discs is only recommended if you like AS by itself and treat the discs as a bonus.
They seem to be very pastel in hue and some colors need multiple discs to get the color you want, which dims the color greatly

That said, one of the colors AS+discs seems to make very well is Arctic Blue.  The dark blue color disc only tints the AS slightly, which makes a nice crispy AB.  So if your choice is between AS+discs or AB, I'd go AS+discs to get both
And while you are at it, make sure to get the Tri-cree for a brighter blade to "cut" through the discs and counter balance their dimming affect

That will get you the AB you want, with the versatility to also get a nice green, lavender, magenta and a surprisingly rich Orange/Yellow
The only colors AS+discs doesn't make well are deep Blues, Reds and Purples, at least that's what I've read/seen on review videos

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:21:54 AM »

If you end up going w/ the silver, check out Lee filters. You can get a sample pack for a few dollars and just trim them to fit your saber. MUCH better saturation.

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:39:05 AM »

That said, one of the colors AS+discs seems to make very well is Arctic Blue.  The dark blue color disc only tints the AS slightly, which makes a nice crispy AB.  So if your choice is between AS+discs or AB, I'd go AS+discs to get both
And while you are at it, make sure to get the Tri-cree for a brighter blade to "cut" through the discs and counter balance their dimming affect

That will get you the AB you want, with the versatility to also get a nice green, lavender, magenta and a surprisingly rich Orange/Yellow
The only colors AS+discs doesn't make well are deep Blues, Reds and Purples, at least that's what I've read/seen on review videos

-
Those seem to be all the hues I would've liked anyway, and I like AS on its own anyway. For a first saber, it's good for me. It's not my wishlist sound FoC saber anyway.

Wishlist:

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:49:18 AM »

I've had several AS sabers and just about every other color US offers over the years.   For me, AS is great as silver or if you want to do a yellow or golden color, which just seems to work better with filters for some reason.   Beyond that lighter, mixed colors (like AB) work pretty well with filters.   "Pure" colors like red, blue, or green generally do not however.   

There are quite a few threads about using filters with AS in the Gallery forum, but this one is still the best:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38175.0

Check it out, it will help your decision-making process I think.   :-)

As a side: You can get what's called a "swatch book" from Lee Filters online for a minimal fee.  Its a collection of sample LED filters for theatrical lighting, but each sample strip makes two saber-sized filters pretty easily and can give you a VERY wide range of color options.   Most of the pictures in the thread I linked use these filters instead of the color disks.  If you go with AS, you will want to consider getting a swatchbook of your own.   :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:15:35 AM »

I've had several AS sabers and just about every other color US offers over the years.   For me, AS is great as silver or if you want to do a yellow or golden color, which just seems to work better with filters for some reason.   Beyond that lighter, mixed colors (like AB) work pretty well with filters.   "Pure" colors like red, blue, or green generally do not however.   

There are quite a few threads about using filters with AS in the Gallery forum, but this one is still the best:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38175.0

Check it out, it will help your decision-making process I think.   :-)

As a side: You can get what's called a "swatch book" from Lee Filters online for a minimal fee.  Its a collection of sample LED filters for theatrical lighting, but each sample strip makes two saber-sized filters pretty easily and can give you a VERY wide range of color options.   Most of the pictures in the thread I linked use these filters instead of the color disks.  If you go with AS, you will want to consider getting a swatchbook of your own.   :-)

So I want a heavy grade but tri-cree and UE, so I might get the Lee Filters as soon as possible because the discs might be even dimmer due to the heavy grade, unless the lighter yellows lavenders greens and blues that it can make aren't too dim.

Wishlist:

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »

Hey there, Galef. I have a saber or two rocking the Adegan Silver blade and use Lee Filter's Swatch Books. There are two different versions, the Designers and Numeric editions, I recommend getting both if you're going the AS blade route

https://shop.leefiltersusa.com/LEE-Swatch-Books_c4.htm

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »

Oklahoma Yellow is probably the best shade of yellow. I also had a silver blade before so. I need another one again Tongue Also try bright blue and moonlight blue together, makes a nice blue color =] Golden Harvest Yellow is a good one too

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 01:07:02 PM »

^^ Agreed Smiley

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 02:38:49 PM »

My concern with Lee Filters is that they might melt or warp with a Tri-cree AS.  I was a theatre major in college and often worked with the lighting and gel fixtures, which are exactly what Lee Filters are.  I've seen my share of melted/warped gels.
Granted that was with theatre lights, but still, I'm not willing to risk a melted filter getting stuck to the LED

But even if that is a minimum risk of happening, for my purposes, I am just wanting light-side/dark-side balanced saber that is a rich Purple first and foremost, but can occasionally be Blue or Red for photos and showing off.
I've already seen several proofs of concept that show this is possible with VA + either a dark green disc or orange disc (but I'll get to test is for myself whenever my stunt sabers arrive).

Another concern with the Lee filters is that I cannot just go to a store a get them, otherwise I would have done so already. I'm already at the edge of my patience waiting for my sabers as-is. I don't want to be waiting for other stuff too.

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »

You KNOW I have to say it.

PATIENCE, young Padawan!

The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:59:28 PM »

My concern with Lee Filters is that they might melt or warp with a Tri-cree AS.  I was a theatre major in college and often worked with the lighting and gel fixtures, which are exactly what Lee Filters are.  I've seen my share of melted/warped gels.
Granted that was with theatre lights, but still, I'm not willing to risk a melted filter getting stuck to the LED

But even if that is a minimum risk of happening, for my purposes, I am just wanting light-side/dark-side balanced saber that is a rich Purple first and foremost, but can occasionally be Blue or Red for photos and showing off.
I've already seen several proofs of concept that show this is possible with VA + either a dark green disc or orange disc (but I'll get to test is for myself whenever my stunt sabers arrive).

Another concern with the Lee filters is that I cannot just go to a store a get them, otherwise I would have done so already. I'm already at the edge of my patience waiting for my sabers as-is. I don't want to be waiting for other stuff too.

-

I've been using Lee filters for years on my sabers, including tri-cree AS, and while I have seen some minor warping I've never had one melt or wrap around and stick to an LED. 
As for waiting for them...   My last book came in 5 days.   Right when they said it would.   :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 09:57:53 PM »

The LED housing UltraSabers uses has an aluminum body with a metal heatsink screwed into it. Which also can use the hilt as a heat sump. As shown below:

I've yet to see melting in any of my plastic lenses in the lightsabers I have with tri-cree LED's, but with gel filters, I suppose it can happen after prolonged use. I only have 1 AS tri-led lightsaber though, so I'm not a good judge to go by.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »

Fair enough.  I'm still going to wait on my sabers to arrive to test our the discs before I dig around for a way to order and wait for the Lee's filters.  I'm still a bit old school in that I prefer to physically get stuff at a store when possible (which ultimately is why I didn't get an US years ago).
Any ideas on how to make the filters not so flimsy and hard to work with? The videos I've seen people messing around with them don't look too promising, but maybe they are just clumsy? It doesn't seem very smooth to swap them out

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 10:16:53 PM »

I "think" it's Racona that does a lot w/ the Lee filters? She might be the one to ask.

The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: