Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hilt opinions needed: Dark DSentinel v5 or Aeon v5  (Read 850 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: January 15, 2020, 12:10:54 AM »

My overall plan for collecting sabers is to have a few stunt sabers for show and spinning, and only a single saber with sound (at least that's the plan)

For that saber, I want it to have a very nice hilt and have narrowed that down to 2 options:
Dark Sentinel v5 LE with silver AV switch and some foil tape in the lower choke point below the switch
-OR-
Aeon v5 with claws flipped, black electric tape at both choke points and all the way down to the section before the pommel
Bronze painted at the "grenade" grip section between the claws

Those of you with either or both these hilts, please share which you prefer below

A bit of background behind the saber: my character was a Jedi Sentinel that had a blue saber when he was a Padawan, temporarily turned to the dark side, thus "bleeding" the saber Red, but eventually turned back to the light and the saber partially "healed" to a nice purple hue.
Note that this is different to the purifying process Asoka did to turn Red sabers into white

Regardless of hilt, the color for the saber will be VA with white FoC. Add a dark green color disc for Blue or an orange disc for Red

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:19:57 AM »

Galef, that's a tough choice tbh.

I have the DS v5 and i LOVE it. The windows are gorgeous (I had to gently file down a couple of spots that were sharp) and the round yet angled hilt fits my hand perfectly.

I got an Aeon v4 with windows out of a mystery box which has a wonderful grip also. I can't speak for the v5 but while I like the look of it a lot, what's stopped me from purchasing it is the claws. They just look like after 10 mins or so they would become quite uncomfortable.  I suppose gloves would solve most of that issue but I'm not a glove kind of woman. It IS sharp, though!

What else can I tell you about the DS? (It's my Emerald saber, btw)

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:37:11 AM »

Yeah, I originally fell for the DSv5 myself. it is quite a sleek and elegant model.  I'm very likely to get a stunt version of the Dark Apprentice v5 LE for my wife, which would default me to the Aeon v5

What is drawing me to the Aeon v5 is the pommel + claw combo, And once you flip the claws, it looks pretty cool and opens up the upper choke point.  And I've got files, so softening up any sharp edges will be simple for me.
Since I won't be dueling with this Saber, maybe just some occasional spinning, those parts sticking out shouldn't be too much of an issue.
But they really do draw in your eye towards the hilt design itself, which I like. The claws also give a slight dark-side hint, which works for my backstory

The DSv5, while gorgeous up close, doesn't really seem to "pop" from arm's length, aside from those great windows.  I'd upgrade the pommel if it wasn't such an upcharge.

Decisions, decisions....

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 01:50:33 AM »

Sounds like you've actually got it planned out! Your detailed description of why the Aeon v5 tells me that it's really "speaking" to you AND you didnt list any drawbacks to it.
You know the last thing I'm going to say...pics pics pics when ya get it!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:42:15 AM »

I have had both, and if you're planning to flip the claws anyway there are very few drawbacks to the Aeon V5.  Its gorgeous and as you said it POPS from any angle or distance.  The DSv5 is great, but it needs something extra.  Mine was an LE, Arctic Blue, and I has a Dark War Glaive pommel on it.   That worked very nicely but in the end I think the Aeon V5 still edges it.   And there are SOOOOO much potential there for multi-colored accents.

If you're already leaning that way in the first place I would go ahead and close the deal.   :-)

I will point this out, though: The Aeon V5, with switch upgrade, is about the same $$$ as the Dark Sentinel V5 (which has the AV switch upgrade as stock) with a pommel upgrade.   Just sayin'...   :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:28 AM »

All v5s have the switch upgrade. With all things equal (colors, FoC, LE version, etc) the Aeon comes up $10 extra.
But the one thing that is different for me is that the Aeon doesn't need the LE upgrade. Simple silver works great, especially since I plan to mod it with electric tape.
The either Sentinel variant needs to be LE, IMO to exsentuat the machining of the gripe.

I love them both, but I do think what I'll do is get the Aeon v5 for myself with sound & FoC and get a stunt saber DSv5 LE for my wife. The DS almost has a feminine elegance about it, so that works for her.
And besides, my wife isn't super enthusiastic about sabers anyway, so it will be like having the DSv5 for me too.

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 04:56:28 AM »

And besides, my wife isn't super enthusiastic about sabers anyway, so it will be like having the DSv5 for me too.

-

Uh oh... don’t let HER see this post.  It’s all well and good that you know this, but to let HER know that you know this?  <shakes head in dismay>

LOL

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 02:59:55 PM »

Ok, so having thought some more on it, there's a few options that I'm torn between

Aeon v5 for me, Dark Apprentice v5 LE for my wife as described above

-Or-

Sentinel v5 LE for me, DAv5 for my wife and swap the blade sleeve windows.
If I go this route, I get to take advantage of swapping those windows so that we have rather unique sabers.
Also, since I am not a huge fan of the Sentinel/Apprentice pommel (they are ok, but nothing special and for sound it's just a hole) I can get the QR coupler.  It's only $10 more than the cheapest pommel swap option and doesn't have the hole directly at the bottom.

That would solve two problems for me (needing a unique looking pommel and protecting the speaker). And there's two bonuses with this option:
1) I get the QR coupler I've been eyeing. That would also give me (or my wife) a double saber with sound.  If we go out in costume, I'll take my CG Phantasm and she can bring the VA Sentinel/Apprentice combo if she wants to
2) I can use the "female" end of the couple for my wife's Apprentice to give the hilt an inch more length. Not that she needs it, but I think longer hilts are better, but only to a point. A Sentinel with an extra inch might look too long, which is why I'd put the 'male' end on mine. Even though it's technically longer, it actually looks like the hilt ends sooner and then has the 'peg' off of it, rather then the entire hilt being longer

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Now here's an interesting idea I'd like some feedback on: Could I add claws to the Sentinel, using the longer middle window as an anchor to attach them.  If so, that becomes the best of ideas.  The couple can be the 'less boring' pommel I want, I get the beautiful emitter windows, and some claws to draw more attention to the hilt.
I have several ideas on how to attach them, but probably the best is to use O-rings in the top grooves and somehow 'thread' them into some home-made claws.  I can use hot-glue or epoxy putty under the claws to create the shape of the emitter window for them to sit in, not to adhere to the windows, but just to fill the gap perfectly and only be adhered to the claws

-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: