Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Exerience/advise with custom staff with only 1 hilt with sound  (Read 846 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: January 16, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »

I like the idea of a staff with sound, but no so much the price to put sound in both hilts.  I also love the QR coupler.
What might be the downsides/affects of getting a single saber with sound and using a coupler to attach a stunt saber to it?

Obviously you won't get the activation sound for the stunt blade (unless you activate it simultaneously with the sound blade), but I've heard that the sound board is sensitive enough to make the "woosh" and "clash" even when it's the stunt saber that gets hit.

Also, what is your opinion on matching hilts, colors and even lengths? Would it be too odd to have a ~12" Silver hilt coupled with a ~10" Black hilt? Or to have a 36" blade on one side and a 16/24" on the other?

-

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »

I like the idea of a staff with sound, but no so much the price to put sound in both hilts.  I also love the QR coupler.
What might be the downsides/affects of getting a single saber with sound and using a coupler to attach a stunt saber to it?

Obviously you won't get the activation sound for the stunt blade (unless you activate it simultaneously with the sound blade), but I've heard that the sound board is sensitive enough to make the "woosh" and "clash" even when it's the stunt saber that gets hit.

Also, what is your opinion on matching hilts, colors and even lengths? Would it be too odd to have a ~12" Silver hilt coupled with a ~10" Black hilt? Or to have a 36" blade on one side and a 16/24" on the other?

-

I've had a staff with one hilt stunt, one sound, and honestly it made virtually no difference.  If you have Flash on Clash, then only the blade in the sound side will flash, but if you skip that option the card will do swoosh and clash sounds for the entire staff. 

I have also coupled dissimilar length hilts (Aeon with Initiate, for instance) and again, no issues. I personally prefer the blades to be similar length, but I've seen some dissimilar length staff setups that looked pretty cool.

On these, I think its totally up to you. Especially in regards to aesthetics.  :-)  Functionally, though, I've never had an issue coupling a shorter hilt to a longer one.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »

Cool, thanx.  I am thinking that for different length blades it really should be a noticeable difference. 32 & 24 for example wouldn't be enough difference and would just look a bit off.
36 & 16, otoh, should look more intentional.  All the better with a QR coupler to go to full Saber + shoto.

Of course, I say that, and my OCD desire for symmetry kicks in and my eye starts twitching  Wink

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:09:50 PM »

Of course, I say that, and my OCD desire for symmetry kicks in and my eye starts twitching  Wink

-

Yup, you're in trouble!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:22:48 AM »

Using only one hilt with sound 'can' work.
The problem I've found comes in the inconsistent quality of swing/clash noise from the 'mute' end as a result.
It can definitely work, though. My first staff is setup with one stunt and one with Obsidian lite sound

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: