Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Switch + glue = frustration  (Read 128 times)
neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« on: January 16, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »

So I wanted to slide the whole assembly out of my hilt and the switch is glued-in. This seems to make it tough (impossible?) to empty my hilt.

Question 1: Is there anything I can do to free this mess from my current hilt electronics?
Question 2: If I order a new saber, can I ask them not to glue all of that in, or would I have to buy an empty hilt and piece it together from there?

TIA!
-Marc

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1065

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 10:31:39 AM »

You have an AV switch? Those are always glued in. You could use a heat gun and carefully (!) heat the glue, unscrew the nut inside and then remove the switch. It's not easy, but possible.
Why they do that...no idea.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:32:51 AM »

You have an AV switch? Those are always glued in. You could use a heat gun and carefully (!) heat the glue, unscrew the nut inside and then remove the switch. It's not easy, but possible.

I was thinking that, but I have shrink-tube wires in a lot of that and I'm not sure how sensitive they'd be to heat

Thinking I might start with a blow drier on high just to see how the glue reacts to just a little heat. If it fares better than what's around it, I'll probably take the leap.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 984

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »

That sounds like a plan.  IF you can, document what you do and post it, there are no doubt many who would be interested in seeing how it goes (like me!)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Tazflyr
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »

That sounds like a plan.  IF you can, document what you do and post it, there are no doubt many who would be interested in seeing how it goes (like me!)

Yup, a short video would be great! (Even if it doesn't work, a video would be great---some of our greatest lessons can be learned from what DOESN'T work)

Thanks!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1740

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 03:41:22 PM »

So vibrations don't knock the nut loose, which will happen with a dueling saber after awhile. It was either that or locktite  Cheesy

-Ultra
Knob Creek Masonic Lodge #401
http://www.ultrasabers.com

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 984

Light side points please.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »

So vibrations don't knock the nut loose, which will happen with a dueling saber after awhile. It was either that or locktite  Cheesy

That's what I suspected.  :-)  Thanks for confirmation!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1065

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 06:12:54 AM »

Makes sense...and great that you didn't use locktite Cheesy Otherwise it would become even more difficult to remove the switch Wink

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: