Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: does 40 inch blade have any difference in brightness than standard?  (Read 1144 times)
jonpluc
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« on: January 18, 2020, 06:42:08 PM »

Im a 6-4 guy so figured i could handle a 4 inch longer blade, any (non tactical) advantages disadvantages to longer blades in terms of brightness or performance? Is it brighter because its 4 inches more of a lightbar or is it less bright cause more surface area to energize with the same energy or is it the same?

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -168

Once you start down the dark path...

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 07:24:45 PM »

Because all UltraSabers are currently in-hilt LED, every blade will be less bright at the tip than it is at the emitter; regardless of length.

That said, the longer the blade, the more accentuated that gradual decrease in brightness will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »

What DPM said. But let me add something. You're a tall guy but if you're just starting out, don't discount the shorter blades. They have a place in your arsenal. If you're into spinning, a 24" or 32" allow you to spin inside the house w/o tearing stuff up too badly. A 36" might do well for you if you're practicing forms or sparring techniques. If you grabbed a 40" heavy grade blade, it quite possibly will make your saber fairly top heavy so you may want to grab a heavier pommel to balance things out a bit.

Just some thoughts and hope it helps!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »

Another thing to consider: for me, the length of the blade is more about hilt balance than my own height.  Some longer hilts like the 36" blades, shorter ones like 32" blades.  Really short ones (Initiate v2, for example) like the 24" blades.

But to your first question: Longer blades do dim a bit at the tip.  I can see a difference between a 32" and 36" in the same hilt.  Tri-Cree helps, but any long blade is going to be a bit dimmer at the end than at the base.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 10:26:56 PM »

Speaking from experience, I can tell you 40 inch blades have a noticeable dim on my stunt Renegade LE. I put a 36 inch in and it helped. I ended up cutting and using my 40 inch blade for blade plugs.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:37 PM »

Length will cause noticeable dimming. Extra diffusion will cause noticeable dimming.

Suggestion: Start with a non-UltraEdge heavy 36” blade. For a little more diffusion without costing you a lot of radiance in your blade, scuff up the outside of the blade (lightly but uniformly) and it will make the light look like it’s getting all the way out to the outer edge of that blade. Just my 2¢ and, as always, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »

Consistent brightness is an important factor for me, which is why I don't think I'd ever get a 40" blade and rarely even a 36".  32" is the sweet spot for both consistent brightness and reach.
My saberstaff has 24", and I'm 5'10', so not short. But the shorter blades, with Tri-cree CG should be bright as all heck.

I want my retinas to burn when I look at my staff.

Side question on length: Is there any reason a full grown adult would want an Initiate/Apprentice hilt when the upcharge to get a 32" or 36" blade makes the overall cost exactly the same as the Aeon/Dominix/Sentinel version of the same hilt?
Aside from using it as a shoto or paired staff in which case you'd keep the 24" in most cases?

I keep looking as certain default 24" models (because they look good) that I'd need to upgrade to 32" and realizing there's no reason I can think of to get that model when the default 36" version costs the same and you get more blade AND more hilt for the same cost

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:54 PM »

Good question. Now you have me wondering.

Possible that the hilts are different lengths or widths?

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »

Good question. Now you have me wondering.

Possible that the hilts are different lengths or widths?

Different lengths, yes, but widths appear identical according the Specs section of each saber.

For example, both the Apprentice models and Sentinel models are 1.45" width, but depending on the V, Apprentice models are ~10", while Sentinels are 12-13" and come with an additional choke point under the switch.
As much as I like some of the Apprentice/Initiate models, the additional length of the hilts and additional choke point just seems like a bargain when you realize that bumping an Apprentice/Initiate to a 32/36" blades ends up costing the same.

A longer hilt should reduce the possibility that the balance point of the saber it too close to, or enough at some point of the blade.
You really need the balance point somewhere in the hilt, preferably well below the emitter. A short hilt with a 36/40" blade, particularly a Heavy blade, would skew that balance into the blade.

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:26 AM »

The reason to get the shorter version of the hilt is because you like it.  The reason to get the longer version of the hilt is because you like it.  Some people (like you) want the longer hilt and the extra choke point.  Some people (like me) want the shorter hilt because we plan to use it one-handed.  (Okay, this doesn’t fit with my Aeon LE v3 or my Azure Fallen or my Frankensaber, all three of which are better suited to two-handed use, but it fits perfectly with my Dark Apprentice LE v5 and my two Initiate v2s sabers.).

Sometimes it’s the aesthetics of cosplay; sometimes it’s the physics of spinning or dueling; sometimes it’s the space you have to store or display the saber.  There are lots of reasons to choose the longer vs the shorter, or vice-versa.  In all honesty, for whatever reasons you have, it’s a really personal decision. 

You have outlined some of your criteria, so we have something to go on to give you advice that MIGHT actually be helpful to you, but I’m not going to try to tell you you’re wrong about any of this.  You like the extra choke point, the mass of the extra aluminum and the extra length?  Cool!  You’re going to favor the “big brothers” in these families, and that’s perfectly fine.  There isn’t really much I can think of to say that would persuade you to spend your money on the shorter versions of these sabers, especially since you want the longer blade lengths. 

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 03:10:19 AM »

The reason to get the shorter version of the hilt is because you like it.  The reason to get the longer version of the hilt is because you like it.  Some people (like you) want the longer hilt and the extra choke point.  Some people (like me) want the shorter hilt because we plan to use it one-handed
Sometimes you’re not sure so you get two stunt sabers and a few blades and see which side you land on. When in doubt, max the card out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: