Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Choose one: VA + color discs or Tri-AS + Lee filters  (Read 670 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: January 21, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »

Preface: As much as I like the idea of a single saber being any color of the rainbow I want, I also like the idea of a saber being only 2-3 colors with a story background.
So for me, VA + either a dark green disc (for Blue) or orange disc (for Red) is the best choice as my Jedi character would have started with a Blue saber as a Padawan, temporarily turned dark side after Order 66 and corrupted his saber to Red, but then turned back to the light and partially "healed" his saber to a nice Violet.
VA also gives me an option for AS FoC, which is a nice feature.

But if you had to pick between VA+ discs as I described, or Tri-AS with Filters, which would you choose?

-

haydendavid380
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 04:31:49 PM »

If color change was a primary necessity, as in this case, I'd strongly consider saving a bit more for emerald drive.

I don't think the AS is going to give the richness that you're looking for. The VA might get closer, but that's only in theory. I've never seen what the color discs can do to VA in person.

Lover of the light side

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 04:56:15 PM »

Preface: As much as I like the idea of a single saber being any color of the rainbow I want, I also like the idea of a saber being only 2-3 colors with a story background.
So for me, VA + either a dark green disc (for Blue) or orange disc (for Red) is the best choice as my Jedi character would have started with a Blue saber as a Padawan, temporarily turned dark side after Order 66 and corrupted his saber to Red, but then turned back to the light and partially "healed" his saber to a nice Violet.
VA also gives me an option for AS FoC, which is a nice feature.

But if you had to pick between VA+ discs as I described, or Tri-AS with Filters, which would you choose?

-

Based on the desired colors - Red, Blue, and VA - I'd probably go against my normal inclination and get a VA saber with filters for red and blue.  VA is an amazing color and its hard to get a nice vibrant purple with filters in my experience.  And it is VERY hard to get a bright blue or red that isn't very light or washed out.

So, based on the red/blue aspect, I'd go with the VA choice.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »

Based on the desired colors - Red, Blue, and VA - I'd probably go against my normal inclination and get a VA saber with filters for red and blue.  VA is an amazing color and its hard to get a nice vibrant purple with filters in my experience.  And it is VERY hard to get a bright blue or red that isn't very light or washed out.

So, based on the red/blue aspect, I'd go with the VA choice.
Yes, this was my thinking as well. I'll have paired/staff Consular Green sabers soon, but for my sound saber I'd like a few choices, but not a ton.
Getting equivalents of GB, DVA, BH & BR all in a single VA package has some very appealing cost efficiency for me and gets all the colors I'd ever want that AS+discs/filters cannot get as vividly.

And besides, Amethyst is my birth stone, so the primary color being VA is great for the 95% of times I'll be using it. The 5% blue or red will be for backstory and photos

Regarding Emerald/Diamond options: Those are a bit pricy for my taste and they require being plugged into a computer.
I'm a man of simple tastes and that just seems a bit extravagant.  I'd rather have an Obsidian-Lite saber and a handful of stunt sabers for that price of a single decked-out one

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »

Regarding Emerald/Diamond options: Those are a bit pricy for my taste and they require being plugged into a computer.

To be fair, they require being plugged into a computer only to CREATE and ASSIGN the colors.  Once those changes are saved to the saber, switching between the colors is done completely on the fly.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 08:04:58 PM »

Yeah, but I'm still not comfortable spending over $250 on a single lightsaber, no matter how good of quality it is.
That pretty much eliminated Diamond and Emerald options for me. Which I am fine with as I quite enjoy simplicity too

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »

Hey, it’s your money; spend it in a way that makes YOU comfortable.  if you’d rather buy sabers with the exact set of features you know you want instead of buying sabers that cost more with features you are really unsure if you want or not, far be it from me to tell you you’re spending your money the wrong way.  I’d rather see you happy with your purchase than not.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: