Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Three Questions From a First Time Ultrasaber Buyer.  (Read 1548 times)
Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 25, 2020, 04:39:22 AM »

Gonna try and keep this short and sweet. I've never purchased a Lightsaber before and after a few days of research I decided that Ultrasabers was best suited to my wants but I have a few questions I need clearing up.

(Question 1): Saber Length.
I'm currently considering getting my hands on a Dark Apprentice V.4 (Dual bladed staff) with a standard coupler with 32" inch blades.

I was trying to do the maths to figure out how long it'd be (Albeit I'm awdul at maths.) and it comes out to be 6ft 10 inches...

Have I calculated wrong or is it really that massive? I'm about 6ft myself but that seems insane especially considering it's not the longest possible? Am I going to be smacking my ceiling or will I be safe from the fury of my fiancée?

(Question 2): Colour Discs.
Okay so are colour discs as God awful as I've heard? I tried watching videos showcasing them but obviously the colour doesn't translate the same over camera as it does irl.

If I go with a silver blade and colour discs will I be satisfied (Using normal midgrade blades) or am I best off just choosing a coloured LED?

(Question 3): Delivery Speed.
I'll be getting the second most expensive delivery service and it'll be shipping to the England. I do live in a major city but I don't know if that even makes a difference. Best and worst case scenario how long could I be waiting?

That's all I want to know,
Thanks for reading.

Keep on keeping on.

Arendsdale
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 9

Hello There!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 04:43:21 AM »

Well two 32 inch blades is 5.33 feet, and then you add the hilt of 10 inches, and the coupler of maybe an inch or two, so maybe around 6.25 feet total.

I don't have any experience with color discs so I won't comment on that.

As for wait time, US is really backed up right now, with the holidays+Ep. 9+Mandalorian+Jedi Fallen Order etc. so the lead time for orders has been hitting at almost 4 weeks, if not more. I'm not sure how much more time international shipping will add though.

Saber Arsenal:
Archon v3.1, Guardian Blue, V4 Sound (January 2020 Raffle Entry)
Dominix v2, Blazing Red, Stunt (January 2020 Raffle 4th Prize)
Dorinian, Arctic Blue, V4 Sound

Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 04:45:40 AM »

The Saber I'm getting is a dual bladed saber, are you talking about a single bladed?

Keep on keeping on.

Arendsdale
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 9

Hello There!

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 04:47:41 AM »

Sorry, misread your post!! I updated my first reply, but with some rounding I got about 6.25 feet

Saber Arsenal:
Archon v3.1, Guardian Blue, V4 Sound (January 2020 Raffle Entry)
Dominix v2, Blazing Red, Stunt (January 2020 Raffle 4th Prize)
Dorinian, Arctic Blue, V4 Sound

Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 04:52:49 AM »

Yeah that's about 190cm which is almost 2 metres. God knows how I almost got 7ft but it's reassuring to know it was just my crappy calculations.

I bought a cheap dual bladed staff off Ebay that's 175cm not too long ago which should arrive soon so it won't be too big of a jump in sizes but definitely an upgrade when I buy the Ultrasaber.

Thanks for the help!

Keep on keeping on.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »

Maybe this will help, an overview I made a while back. To get to the doublebladed length just double the size and substract 1 inch if you go for a standard flush coupler.
dropbox.com/s/3nqqidr6p95or8b/Wapen%20Overzicht%20Lightsabers.pdf?dl=0

AS is really bright! One of my students has one with color discs, wich look nice. I don't own them and alot of people here have more experience with them, so they can give a more in depth review/opinion. To my eyes the use of color discs is nice, but the color is a bit flat.

I live in the Netherlands and delivery was really fast, 8 days between me placing the order and me unboxing the sabers with a big smile on my face. And I used the sttandard international shipping method. I don't think it'll be that fast this time because US has a big backorder atm (has something to do with the holidays and som movie that came out Wink ) My guess now, based on the things I read on the forum, estimate of 4 week, maybe 6.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 12:06:00 PM »

Thanks man. All this really helps!

Keep on keeping on.

Reverie
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »

I ordered the 36 midgrade blades, and they're a great length for me. Not overly huge at all, and pretty comfortable. I'm not too terribly tall though (about average at best), so if your ceiling is low, it might be in danger of hitting? I've had absolutely no issues.

As for the colored disks, I've heard that they wash out the color a bit and aren't as bright as the singular colored LED's. However, I've seen a lot of people recommending Swatch Books (colored filters) and cutting out circles to fit over the emitters. Apparently, they let more light through and look better. This is all from personal research though, and I haven't tried colored disks or colored filters.

Hope that helps!

I'm one with the force, the force is with me

Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 12:11:14 PM »

Yeah I've heard that too. Its a bit annoying that there's better solutions out there and better colour discs but Ultrasabers still use the crappy ones. Thanks for your input!

Keep on keeping on.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 03:15:53 AM »

Yeah I've heard that too. Its a bit annoying that there's better solutions out there and better colour discs but Ultrasabers still use the crappy ones. Thanks for your input!

The color discs are pre-cut circles of a hard plastic that you drop in and go.  The Lee filters are (typically, from users on here) swatch books of theatrical filter gel/film.  Each super-thin piece of film is a rectangle about 1.5” x  2.5” (3.5cm x 6.5cm) in usable space, and you need to cut them yourself.  If you’re into theater lighting, know someone who is, or have a convenient way to order theatrical lighting supplies, and you already know the colors you want, you can of course obtain the full-sized films/gels instead of the swatch book most of us get. 

The discs are not crappy; they are easy to use, and they give a quick basic introduction to the world of coloring your light saber with subtractive color filters.  For those who need more, other options are available, but for pure colors, you’re going to do better with a colored LED no matter what you do, because none of the light is being blocked by a filter.  When you use a color filter, you’re blocking some portion of the light, so you will ALWAYS lose some brightness, no matter what.  The brighter the source light is, the more filtering you need to do to color it to the shade you want.  Again, that’s just physics.  And like Chief Engineer Scott says, “Ya canna’ change the laws of physics, Captain!” *

*Now I hear “Star Trekkin’” running through my head.  Thanks! Smiley

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Yoma
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »

Gonna try and keep this short and sweet. I've never purchased a Lightsaber before and after a few days of research I decided that Ultrasabers was best suited to my wants but I have a few questions I need clearing up.

(Question 1): Saber Length.
I'm currently considering getting my hands on a Dark Apprentice V.4 (Dual bladed staff) with a standard coupler with 32" inch blades.

I was trying to do the maths to figure out how long it'd be (Albeit I'm awdul at maths.) and it comes out to be 6ft 10 inches...

Have I calculated wrong or is it really that massive? I'm about 6ft myself but that seems insane especially considering it's not the longest possible? Am I going to be smacking my ceiling or will I be safe from the fury of my fiancée?

(Question 2): Colour Discs.
Okay so are colour discs as God awful as I've heard? I tried watching videos showcasing them but obviously the colour doesn't translate the same over camera as it does irl.

If I go with a silver blade and colour discs will I be satisfied (Using normal midgrade blades) or am I best off just choosing a coloured LED?

(Question 3): Delivery Speed.
I'll be getting the second most expensive delivery service and it'll be shipping to the England. I do live in a major city but I don't know if that even makes a difference. Best and worst case scenario how long could I be waiting?

That's all I want to know,
Thanks for reading.
I can try and add some specific things to the Q3:
My current order from 11th Jan (3MB +coupler) just shipped yesterday and is also going to England(not so major city). Estimated delivery : 31st .
And that is with the economy shipping so i'd maybe even expect a shorter wait once It's out!
Do remember that you have to pay customs though.

Hope that somewhat helps too.

dark side points, if any
Dominicide BR Obs V4
Aeon LE v4 GB Obs V3 (MB)
Standard Issue BR (MB)
Dark Apprentice V4 CG (MB)

Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

What do you mean you have to pay customs?
My current order from 11th Jan (3MB +coupler) just shipped yesterday and is also going to England(not so major city). Estimated delivery : 31st .
And that is with the economy shipping so i'd maybe even expect a shorter wait once It's out!

Keep on keeping on.

Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 01:17:55 PM »

Wait I know what you mean now. How much should I expect to pay?

Keep on keeping on.

Yoma
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »

Wait I know what you mean now. How much should I expect to pay?
There are some calculators for rough custom costs online, for us non US buyers, customs can be quite pricey .
For my 500$ order i think i had to pay around 75£ (FedEx )

dark side points, if any
Dominicide BR Obs V4
Aeon LE v4 GB Obs V3 (MB)
Standard Issue BR (MB)
Dark Apprentice V4 CG (MB)

Laptrico
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »

If you could let me know of a good site to use that'd be really appreciated. My order is $477 and that's already a lot so now with customs on top of that it's gonna be an expensive purchase.

Keep on keeping on.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: