Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Shimmering advice  (Read 4365 times)
perkypatx
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 16

Life is good!

« on: January 26, 2020, 07:18:21 AM »

Hi all,

New to the world of US. Perhaps this question has been answered elsewhere, if so I apologize.
How does one create a shimmer effect on the computer? And what are good values to input?

Thanks!

“I know...”

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »

I do mine through the "Express Wizard".  Set your blade color then click on the "Idle" (very bottom block).  Then set your shimmer color.  Usually this will be a little lighter or a different shade than the blade color.  Once you have that set, adjust the pulse time to your liking.  After that it is just a matter up uploading it to your saber.  There might be others with a more complicated method that uses the "Advanced Editor" but this way is really easy. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

perkypatx
Knight Officer

Life is good!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 03:10:47 PM »

I do mine through the "Express Wizard".  Set your blade color then click on the "Idle" (very bottom block).  Then set your shimmer color.  Usually this will be a little lighter or a different shade than the blade color.  Once you have that set, adjust the pulse time to your liking.  After that it is just a matter up uploading it to your saber.  There might be others with a more complicated method that uses the "Advanced Editor" but this way is really easy. 

Thanks for the answer. It sounds easy enough. I just ordered the saber so will try the moment I have it. Thanks again!

“I know...”

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 11:56:56 PM »

I took a swing at a "more complicated" method a couple of years ago in this thread: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38377.0.  Sadly the screenshot no longer shows up as the hosting service I used went belly up but the description is pretty detailed and should still work.  It uses the advanced editor and sounds more complex than it is, but I remain very pleased with the results.  Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.  Good luck, have fun and welcome to the world of UltraSabers!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

DarthSyronimus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -40

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:04:28 PM »

if you want to be really tricky, zoom in on the soundwave and try to 'match' the color changes to the audio peaks and valleys.  It's subtle but might be nicer than a more repetitive simple pulse.

Dark Side here, Grey in RPGs
(Order#1 - Ordered 1/27/20 - Arrived 3/12/20)
* Diamond Dominicide for me (died 4/2/20, sent back 5/23/20 for repairs, back in hand and working 6/4/2020)
* Diamond Dark Apprentice LE v5 for the 10yo Padawan
* Stunt Aeon LE v3 - Blazing Red (FreeMysteryBox) for the missus
* Stunt Initiate v2 - Guardian Blue (FreeInitiate) for the 7yo Youngling
(Order #2 - Ordered 5/17/20 - Arrived 9/13/20)
* Stunt Dark Overlord - Consular Green ($75 Mystery Box)
* Yari (Pike) Extension with 16" UEHG
* Silver Vented QR Coupler

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:50:49 PM »

if you want to be really tricky, zoom in on the soundwave and try to 'match' the color changes to the audio peaks and valleys.  It's subtle but might be nicer than a more repetitive simple pulse.

I did that with my Captain America themed Diamond.  It worked great on the app but once I uploaded it to the board the sync between the sound and the color changes didn't keep.  They stayed at the beginning of the cycle but as it went along, the colors changed faster than the sound.  When I checked the file again everything looked fine and again worked great on the app.  I don't think the board could handle what I was attempting to do.  I haven't tried to adjust it in several months, but I might try it again some day.

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

haydendavid380
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 02:19:01 AM »

This is exactly what I'm currently trying to do. Mine pulses from arctic blue to blue about every 2 seconds, and I'd like it to be about every .25 seconds. I couldn't see a timing adjustment in the express wizard. Is it there?

Lover of the light side

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 02:43:30 AM »

This is exactly what I'm currently trying to do. Mine pulses from arctic blue to blue about every 2 seconds, and I'd like it to be about every .25 seconds. I couldn't see a timing adjustment in the express wizard. Is it there?

In the "Idle" tab, use the "Pulse Time" slider to adjust the rate of pulse/flicker to your liking. 

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:

Wife’s:

haydendavid380
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 03:14:49 AM »

In the "Idle" tab, use the "Pulse Time" slider to adjust the rate of pulse/flicker to your liking. 

Now I've screwed everything up, lol

I've got something like a jedi dance rave

Lover of the light side

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 03:16:31 AM »

The area you have for lighting is dictated by the length of the sound file you choose.  Smaller sound equals smaller space for the lights. In the advanced editor there are small magnifying glass icons. Use those icons to change your lighting space from 10 seconds to 5 seconds to 1 second and even smaller.

Use the m.g. icon and magnify the area to .25 second increment of time. Create your shimmer or pulse effect within that .25 second area. Look at the length of the sound file, say it's 6 seconds long. You want the light effect to play 4 times a second for 6 seconds. So 24 times total.  On the same line as the m.g. icon but all the way to the left is a number. That number signifies how many times your light effect plays. The arrows next to the number increase or decreases the number. Use those to change the number to 24 and your blade should shimmer for the same length as the idle sound plays.
 That's how I do it.

haydendavid380
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 08:26:39 PM »

Found the default color packages in this thread http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34478.0

If you download the color you want, once you unzip it there is a shimmer effect in there.

Works fantastic.

Lover of the light side

perkypatx
Knight Officer

Life is good!

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 07:06:02 AM »

Found the default color packages in this thread http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34478.0

If you download the color you want, once you unzip it there is a shimmer effect in there.

Works fantastic.

I totally forgot about this thread. Somehow I’m not getting notifications when there is a reply on a post. Anyway, I have been fooling around with the shimmer and have been found what Kaiser and others were saying by mimicking what the preset was on my diamond Lost Grey. It came with shimmer out of the box. So I tried copying what I saw in the idle hum. Now it all makes more sense. The only thing is I can’t get the violet amethist and consular green to shimmer. They just don’t work.
But, I’m going to check out the link you posted. Thanks!

“I know...”

DarthSyronimus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -40

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 07:34:22 AM »

totally forgot this thread also... caveat when mucking with your Diamond board... do not overload it with LED points...  I had a font I was making push past the 20 points and I think the app fried the hardware when uploading it to test... there doesn't seem to be any 'failsafe' on checking for potentially corrupted fonts.  be careful, because it's pretty difficult to get a response from US these days, to get it serviced.

Dark Side here, Grey in RPGs
(Order#1 - Ordered 1/27/20 - Arrived 3/12/20)
* Diamond Dominicide for me (died 4/2/20, sent back 5/23/20 for repairs, back in hand and working 6/4/2020)
* Diamond Dark Apprentice LE v5 for the 10yo Padawan
* Stunt Aeon LE v3 - Blazing Red (FreeMysteryBox) for the missus
* Stunt Initiate v2 - Guardian Blue (FreeInitiate) for the 7yo Youngling
(Order #2 - Ordered 5/17/20 - Arrived 9/13/20)
* Stunt Dark Overlord - Consular Green ($75 Mystery Box)
* Yari (Pike) Extension with 16" UEHG
* Silver Vented QR Coupler

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 07:29:20 PM »

Just drop the color you want down or up 15-20 in value and back with a .04 or so rest in between, and play it as many number of times as will equal the time of the idle.

I can explain better if necessary.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

ObitusDator
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »

totally forgot this thread also... caveat when mucking with your Diamond board... do not overload it with LED points...  I had a font I was making push past the 20 points and I think the app fried the hardware when uploading it to test... there doesn't seem to be any 'failsafe' on checking for potentially corrupted fonts.  be careful, because it's pretty difficult to get a response from US these days, to get it serviced.

I was making a font with about the same number of points, but instead of overloading my hardware, it just started deleting my oldest point whenever I made a new one.  I much prefer my scenario, but it's strange that the program doesn't always react the same way.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: