Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Over-Tightening Blade Retention Screw  (Read 963 times)
Arendsdale
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 9

Hello There!

« on: January 27, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »

Not sure if there's a thread about this already, but I was wondering if it's possible to over-tighten the blade retention screw?

Saber Arsenal:
Archon v3.1, Guardian Blue, V4 Sound (January 2020 Raffle Entry)
Dominix v2, Blazing Red, Stunt (January 2020 Raffle 4th Prize)
Dorinian, Arctic Blue, V4 Sound

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »

I think you can, especially if the blade isn't Heavy grade. I've heard it can compress the blade, and even on Heavy grades it causes an indentation on the polycarbonate.

-

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »

Most of the sabers i receive come over tightened.  I just loosen them and turn the blade then tighten them to a more appropriate level. Then use the saber.
I heavy duel with the local Saber Legion group and there is no need to over do it. It damages the blade over time and it doesn't stop them from loosening and rattling with hard hitting. Tightening just snug will preserve the blade integrity and allow retightening as needed without over stressing the threads.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 06:00:07 PM »

I'm planning on replacing all my retention screws with thumb screws (mostly for aesthetics), so over-tightening shouldn't be an issue

-

Arendsdale
Knight Sergeant

Hello There!

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »

Thanks for the responses! I’m awaiting my Archon v3 so thumbs screws are out lol. I did have them add a second retention screw opposite the original, so I think with two I really shouldn’t have to tighten too much

Saber Arsenal:

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:22:50 PM »

Part of the strength of the blade retention comes from having the blade cradled in the curve opposite the screw. Having a second screw directly opposite the first weakens that cradling and allows the blade to rattle lateral to the screws, often making them loosen more quickly.
To help a second screw should be inline with the first on the same side or up to 90 degrees ofset from the first, not 180.

Offset around the emitter. This is one of my heavy duelers. I rarely need to tighten mid-fight.

In line. This is my daughter's heavy dueler. We haven't had to tighten since installing that blade.
She added the screw and the windows herself.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 06:33:29 PM »

That's why I like the V2s, as they have 2 screws on the same side, but also why I want to sue thumb screws to add to the aesthetics and make it easier to remove the blade without needing the allen wrench all the time

-

Arendsdale
Knight Sergeant

Hello There!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 06:35:36 PM »

Part of the strength of the blade retention comes from having the blade cradled in the curve opposite the screw. Having a second screw directly opposite the first weakens that cradling and allows the blade to rattle lateral to the screws, often making them loosen more quickly.
To help a second screw should be inline with the first on the same side or up to 90 degrees ofset from the first, not 180.

GOOD CATCH!! Thanks, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! I just emailed Marlena to have the additonal screw placed below the original and hopefully they’ll be able to change it in time!

Saber Arsenal:

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 06:39:47 PM »

On a few hilts I put one or two windings of electrical tape around the blade bottom and at the height of the retention screw. Helps keeping the blade in place, helps against rattling and a little bit against the dents of said screws.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 06:44:40 PM »

GOOD CATCH!! Thanks, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! I just emailed Marlena to have the additonal screw placed below the original and hopefully they’ll be able to change it in time!

Hope they get that worked out.
That's why I like the V2s, as they have 2 screws on the same side, but also why I want to sue thumb screws to add to the aesthetics and make it easier to remove the blade without needing the allen wrench all the time

-

Thumbscrews are great for show sabers. For dueling they tend to get hit and eventually bent. This can make them hard to get out or sometimes damage/deform the threads and holes they go into. I have seen it happen.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »

On a few hilts I put one or two windings of electrical tape around the blade bottom and at the height of the retention screw. Helps keeping the blade in place, helps against rattling and a little bit against the dents of said screws.
I won't be able to do this for my Sentinel v5 when it arrives (very generous windows will get blocked), but for all the V2s I've got on the way, I think I'm going to take this idea if they seem too lose.

-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: