Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Phantom LE V3 review  (Read 2852 times)
Arcadius
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -12

Without emotions, we are powerless.

« on: December 23, 2011, 07:14:42 AM »

I've wanted a Saber-staff for a long time now, and finally decided to spring for one. Anyway, it arrived two days ago, and I've played around with it enough to give a proper review:

I opted for Pyrestone Orange as my color - worth the extra cost, as I wanted a proper orange, and Fire Orange is just too yellow for my liking. Anyway, the first thing I did when I pulled out my sabers was to see if US had been able to give me Pyrestone Orange... in short, they did, and it looks beautiful. The pic below doesn't quite do it justice:

Shot without flash, in the dark (the flash has a tendency to wash out the color of the saber)

By the way, that's the standard mid-grade blade... I'm sure with an ultra-edge the color would be a little brighter, but I want the darker tone.

The hilts of the phantom are interesting. Visually, the silver on black of the LE style is quite cool, but I've found it to have too much silver. I'm sure its been seen before, but pics are always good in my mind:

Again, darkened room with no flash.

Room with lights on

Finally, when put together as a staff, the saber looks incredible. It can be a little tricky to get the second saber properly on the threads of the connector, but with time I'm sure I'll get better with that. Anyway, more pics:

Full length - it's a little over 6'5" or so when together, just a few inches taller than me.

Close up of the handle of the staff.

Mostly, I'm very happy with the sabers. The choke points (both top and bottom are useful for different situations) are very handy, and make using the saber (in separate form and staff form) fairly easy. I find that the top choke point is ideal for solo spins, while the bottom is good for power strikes and staff spins. The weight is very good - heavy enough to make the saber substantial, but not so heavy that its hard to control.

I do have two issues with them though. First, as is the battery packs move around too much for my liking, and tend to bounce around in the hilt a bit (mostly when spinning/striking with some force). I've found a way to mostly mitigate this, but I'll need to perfect it. The second issue is with the silver groves - I kinda wish they were slanted inward, and not cut straight down. Perhaps it's because of how I grip it, but they tend to dig into my hands a little. I've solved this problem with the first step of my customization (although I also need to perfect that).

I wonder if the battery issue wouldn't be coming up if I had opted for sound (I may decide to get it added at some point, and thankfully I have the Li-ion setup already). The sound wasn't a critical need, and money is tight enough that I would not have been able to afford this if I had wanted it from the start.

The only other thing I might change would be to pick up a different pommel for them while in separate form. The standard pommel is nice, but I'm thinking of putting a dark catalyst on them instead.

Oh, and one other annoyance. I didn't realize that US had changed the size of their blade retention screws, or I would have ordered one... the one that I have for my Omen is too large to fit into the hole.

The Jedi speak of freedom, yet know nothing of true freedom. They speak of knowing the force, but know nothing of the true power of the force.

Dark side points please!

Sabers:
PO Phantom LE V3 Staff
GB Blue Liberator (fiancee's)
AS Omen w/filters (dead)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »

Very good review, you get a point.

The sabers look really nice.

Will you be opting for Staff or Dual wielding?

Also not to be a turd but have you only seen pictures of Fire Orange? Because, like most pictures, they never do the color justice.

I know for a fact that the PO is friggin awesome in person but it's fruitless trying to get the saber to not overwhelm the camera with light.

Also, that battery pack issue can be solved with some tissues or toilet paper. I use little pieces of pool noodles, they work really well. Grin

Getting sound in would have stopped this because the board fits in snugly with the battery pack.

Away ways happy sabering. Grin
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:29:25 AM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Arcadius
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 07:44:36 AM »

I'll probably be doing a bit of both - I've done LARP combat before, and dual-wielding was my primary form of combat there, with some staff work.

I've only seen pictures, so Fire Orange is likely a great color. The fact remains that everything I've heard about it touts it as a brighter color, and I wanted something darker - and the PO definitely delivers there. Good to know that sound would fix the battery issue - I might pick that up when I can afford to. Until then, might some wrapped leather do the trick? I may try the tissue/tp idea though - the stuff is cheap enough that is will be a cheap fix.

The Jedi speak of freedom, yet know nothing of true freedom. They speak of knowing the force, but know nothing of the true power of the force.

Dark side points please!

Sabers:
PO Phantom LE V3 Staff
AS Omen w/filters (dead)

SOTJ
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

Serenity, the way of the Jedi is serenity.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »

I'm loving that saber-color combination. Anyways.... IS THAT A NIGHTWISH POSTER I SEE?! Grin

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »

I'll probably be doing a bit of both - I've done LARP combat before, and dual-wielding was my primary form of combat there, with some staff work.

I've only seen pictures, so Fire Orange is likely a great color. The fact remains that everything I've heard about it touts it as a brighter color, and I wanted something darker - and the PO definitely delivers there. Good to know that sound would fix the battery issue - I might pick that up when I can afford to. Until then, might some wrapped leather do the trick? I may try the tissue/tp idea though - the stuff is cheap enough that is will be a cheap fix.

FO - More Light Side.
PO - More Dark Side.

IDK why I'm thinking of it now, that's a great way to help people decide.

Since there is more red in the PO but not so much it looks BR.

Wrapped leather is fine, so long as you can remove it easy enough when you need to charge up.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Arcadius
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »

I'm loving that saber-color combination. Anyways.... IS THAT A NIGHTWISH POSTER I SEE?! Grin

Not quite a Nightwish poster - its a cloth banner/flag type thing that got on their most recent full tour through the states. That's not the really cool piece I have though - I was one of the lucky 50 or 100 who got to meet them/get their autographs the year before (the very year the lead singer got sick and they needed to cancel a bunch of stops on their tour)...

Indeed, the color combination is awesome... I first found something similar with my AG Omen, when I stumbled upon a similar orange through the use of the disc filters. The PO is really close in color tone to the one I made, but much brighter (Yay dedicated LED not losing any light to the filters).

Dark side points please!

Sabers:
PO Phantom LE V3 Staff
AS Omen w/filters (dead)

Arcadius
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:52:14 PM »

FO - More Light Side.
PO - More Dark Side.

IDK why I'm thinking of it now, that's a great way to help people decide.

Since there is more red in the PO but not so much it looks BR.

Wrapped leather is fine, so long as you can remove it easy enough when you need to charge up.

I'm sure I can find some way to keep the leather on the pack strongly, yet make it easy to take off (like snaps or cord to tie it on).

Dark side points please!

Sabers:
PO Phantom LE V3 Staff
AS Omen w/filters (dead)

SOTJ
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

Serenity, the way of the Jedi is serenity.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »

Not quite a Nightwish poster - its a cloth banner/flag type thing that got on their most recent full tour through the states. That's not the really cool piece I have though - I was one of the lucky 50 or 100 who got to meet them/get their autographs the year before (the very year the lead singer got sick and they needed to cancel a bunch of stops on their tour)...

Indeed, the color combination is awesome... I first found something similar with my AG Omen, when I stumbled upon a similar orange through the use of the disc filters. The PO is really close in color tone to the one I made, but much brighter (Yay dedicated LED not losing any light to the filters).

I've never gotten to see them live, but for me, they lost a bit of awesomeness when they lost Tarja. So now I'm still a fan, but I'm not as big of a fan of them as I am of Epica or Atargatis. PO seems to look great in any of the black hilts with silver accents, so one of my friends might be getting a PO Dark Shock Grin

mooski95
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

HELLO

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 02:14:44 AM »

I ordered  a Phantom v3 le with dva and ab  Both heavy grade 32in blades

I was wandering if they are good for two handed use  Smiley thanks

Light side points please

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:55 AM »

The Dominix and Aeon make a fine 2 handed sabers !

dark side points please

mooski95
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

HELLO

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »

Thanks for the reply

Light side points please

Darth Bane
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »

does anyone know how VA and CG would look in a normal Phantom V3 with HG blades. also what blade size do you recommend seeing as i am fairly new and this would be my first professional saber.  i am thinking of getting the 32" or 24" but i don't want the blades to be too short in comparison to the hilt.

Dark side points please.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: