Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First saber: Dark Sentinel v5 Yellow, not an hour b4 weathering/customization  (Read 2629 times)
VennTahlis
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 43

The Force is beyond Light and Dark, as am I.

« on: January 31, 2020, 03:51:30 AM »

So this was the Ultrasaber Dark Sentinel v5 with sound, Yellow Sentinel and Yellow illuminated switch. I ordered this Monday (yes 4 days ago) on priority shipping (35 ish dollars to Canada), which arrived today, very surprised because I know average shipping times these days.

Picked it up. An hour later after eating, I started to weather it with sandpaper, a knife, and then leather wrapped with a racket handle grip tape, painted with acrylics (you can't really see the slight brownish dirt and rust look in the pics unfortunately) wiped off, varnished lightly with matte finish, tied a leather cord around the upper section. I know there's a lot of dark hilts being weathered haha but I'm really loving mine in its particular way!

It is a nice size thick enough to feel like a substantial weapon/saber and good to view on a belt, but also feels super light and well balanced with the blade. Spins and twirls like butter. Clash sound isn't too coordinated with strikes, and some delays on some swings but overall happy.

I did pay for covertec wheel install but it wasn't done. Will try to contact ultrasabers to get a refund on that since I don't want to send it in etc.

Ordering a black thumbscrew for easy blade attachment and removal. And might bring my Dremel to my place and give it some minimal battle scarring and chipping

Modular Saber Staff System Gallery: Dark Sentinel v5, Dark Apprentice v4, Yari Pike Extension, Vented Couplers x 2, Blades: Single 32", Dual 32" x 2, Staff 24" + 16", Pike 24"

Instagram | Youtube

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:57:00 AM »

Looks good.
That sort of work truly makes a saber 'yours'

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:55:30 AM »

This looks wonderful... I doubt I could do nearly as well.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:45:26 AM »

Simply beautiful!

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »

Beautiful job and quite authentic looking! Point!
What kind of leather did you use? I've heard goatskin is the best but your's looks thicker and yet still very, very nice!  I've been trying to get up the nerve to wrap one of mine but I'm so afraid of screwing it up.

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

VennTahlis
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 01:24:34 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Beautiful job and quite authentic looking! Point!
What kind of leather did you use? I've heard goatskin is the best but your's looks thicker and yet still very, very nice!  I've been trying to get up the nerve to wrap one of mine but I'm so afraid of screwing it up.

Yeah it's a bit on the thick side but it wasn't thick enough for me to mind haha, it was a racket /handle grip tape wrap from amazon, with adhesive backing. You can always fix it if you mess up if you have adhesive that comes off. I adjusted as I went and made sure it was fine before proceeding to the next circle. At certain check points mainly beginning and end I used a dab of hot glue. For example use double sided tape and then the dab of glue where you need it. Pull it real taut so it holds itself tightly together. Not too hard to go slow

Modular Saber Staff System Gallery: Dark Sentinel v5, Dark Apprentice v4, Yari Pike Extension, Vented Couplers x 2, Blades: Single 32", Dual 32" x 2, Staff 24" + 16", Pike 24"

Instagram | Youtube

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »

I like how you got the anodizing down in the choke point.  I've had a hard time getting that effect.

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »

The only criticism I have is that the V5s grip section is part of its appeal to me, so covering that up isn't something I'd want to do when mine arrives.
Having said that though, kudos on the weathering and general craftsmanship on this customization. It's look very well done.

-

VennTahlis
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 05:02:52 PM »

I like how you got the anodizing down in the choke point.  I've had a hard time getting that effect.

Had to fold up the sandpaper and really shove it in loll

The only criticism I have is that the V5s grip section is part of its appeal to me, so covering that up isn't something I'd want to do when mine arrives.
Having said that though, kudos on the weathering and general craftsmanship on this customization. It's look very well done.

-

Thanks! Yeah, I feel you. Before I weathered anything, I was pretty confident in sacrificing the grip section because it didn't appeal to me as much being not noticeable, but once I had sanded those ridges, it looked real good and was hard to let go. Still, I was going for a Jedi/Gray Jedi look rather than a Sith look, I feel that the grip section was still too Sith-y for me and that the ridges on the switch section was enough of a glimpse for me, so I just went with my original plan haha

Instagram | Youtube

VennTahlis
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »

Here are some details of the dirt/rust effect and so on

Instagram | Youtube

AAC85
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

Well hello there

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 11:34:46 PM »

Saw your video on YouTube countless times before purchasing my own v5 and joining the forum when I was browsing on v5sentinels great video and good job on your hilt it looks awesome.

May the force be with you
Always.

jsierra.ronin
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 04:36:23 AM »

Fantastic work! Truly an inspiration to see and it gives me so many ideas. Thanks for sharing this!!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »

excellent work! Simple mods are often more effective than the bigger ones. POINTAGE

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Malreyn
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 12:50:04 AM »

This looks great!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: