Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New Motorbike: First Ride Report  (Read 3195 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 01, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »

So after getting my full motorcycle license on Thursday, I got home in the evening to find a delivery truck waiting for me with my new bike, a 2013 Triumph Bonneville with only 1397 miles on her! I have named her Penny. Friday was payday, so I paid the road tax, sorted out her insurance and got her ready for her first proper ride today.

Despite forecast of showers, the weather was beautiful; sunny and mildly warm. Only thing that could have made it perfect was less wind (there were some stretches of road that were a little gusty).

So, after doing a 130 mile round trip to visit my family, what have I discovered?

1- Penny is comfy, nimble, smooth and fun. Such a stark difference in power and power delivery to my 125cc.

2- It may have been a mistake wearing an open face helmet with the gusty wind (think I'm gonna have to invest in a full face mask for future long trips like this and keep the open face just for riding inside London)

3- I think a screen would probably be a good idea as well for long trips. I didn't mind the wind hitting my chest, but it was getting inside my mask a little. Will see how I feel after doing the same journey with a full face mask.

4- New handlebars are going to be needed, just to lower my arm position a wee bit. Wasn't uncomfortable, just more of a personal preference

5- It's fun accelerating away from traffic lights and leaving cars behind, especially when you have drivers who previously tried to block you filtering or are inching forward trying to get ahead of you while the lights are still red.

6- The front brake is nowhere near as bad as some review videos have made out. Yes, they don't have the stopping power of the T120's twin disc or a sports bike, but for the kind of riding I was (and will be) doing on Penny, they are more than good enough

7- Going through farm country roads and being able to truly appreciate the natural beauty of the English countryside will never get old

8- Heated grips are not essential, but were nice to have. My fingers were getting a little nippy due to the wind chill. The grips really took that out of the equation and I arrived at both destinations with slightly sweaty hands! Cheesy

So, Penny's first ride was a joyful one. I did today's journey last year on my 125cc and it took me almost 3 hours. And at one point I thought my bike was gonna have an asthma attack! Lol. No such issues today. I can definitely see many a day and weekend trip in my future, especially as the weather starts to warm up. After an awful start to the year I am going to grab hold of these nuggets of happiness when and where I can.

Ilowarith
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -16

Dark leaning, but will allow the Force to choose.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »

Congrats on the MC license and the purchase of Penny. I also ride & have a 2007 Suzuki GS500. I havent ridden in a while though b.c of some parts that need replacing.

Just some unsolicited advice from a fellow rider. Take with a grain of salt -

My preference is a full face helmet. It's not just for the wind, but also preventative to avoid eating kicked up pebbles and bugs at 80 mph. Not fun.

Even a small screen can prevent things from hitting you, and will take away some of that wind out around the bike if it's a proper fit.

I dont know how UK drivers are, but where I live in the US, a lot of drivers dont see us riders. I almost get hit everytime I ride. Invest in some fall protection clothes with kevlar plating, as well as something reflective and/or bright in color, if you dont already have any. It's been my experience, that there are 2 types of riders. Those who've fallen, and those who will.

Get a good pair or 2 of leather gloves to keep those digits from freezing.

Happy Riding! Keep the black round thingies down.

Good is a point of view.

My sabers : Aeon v4 - CG - OBS LITE  - Green-silver AV - catalyst pommel - |w| ~ $75 MB upgraded
Electrum Wind - Diamond - VA - SY FoC
Sentinel v4 - Stunt - BR - Silver AV  ~ $75 MB
Dark Apprentice v4 - Stunt - BR
Aeon v4 - Stunt - AB - Silver AV ~ 2020 Spring raffle 4th place
Aeon v3 - Stunt - CG - Silver AV ~ $75 MB

Wishlist : Raven SS, Crimson Butcher, Crimson Savior, Emperor's Hand, Menace SE staff, Crimson Scorpion, Manticore, Flamberge v2, Dark Graflex, Lost Grey, Guardian, Dark Standard Issue v3, & Dark Apprentice LE v5

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 04:53:58 PM »

Beautiful bike, Knox.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »

Just some unsolicited advice from a fellow rider. Take with a grain of salt -

My preference is a full face helmet. It's not just for the wind, but also preventative to avoid eating kicked up pebbles and bugs at 80 mph. Not fun.
I wear a face mask to protect my mouth, chin and neck from bugs.

I dont know how UK drivers are, but where I live in the US, a lot of drivers dont see us riders. I almost get hit everytime I ride. Invest in some fall protection clothes with kevlar plating, as well as something reflective and/or bright in color, if you dont already have any. It's been my experience, that there are 2 types of riders. Those who've fallen, and those who will.

Get a good pair or 2 of leather gloves to keep those digits from freezing.
I have thermal waterproofs for cold and wet weather. They have knee, hip, shoulder, elbow and back protection in them. For warmer weather I have either my Belstaff jacket or my leather jacket (again with shoulder, elbow and back protection) and various kevlar jeans. And I have fully waterproof boots for Winter, some splash proof boots for Spring/Autumn and some motorcycle trainers for Summer. Add to that winter gloves with full protection and summer gloves with palm and knuckle protection, I kinda set for any involuntary dismounts. However, after cycling in London for 9 years and then riding my 125cc for 2 years, I am so good at predicting when drivers might do something stupid (so I'm going slow and keeping out the way) that on the off-chance they haven't seen me I'm still safe. Penny, my new bike, is so loud that drivers will hear me before they see me.

In the 11 years I have been on two wheels in London I have only come off twice (going round a roundabout during icy weather and wheels went from under me). Never had an involuntary dismount on the motorbike. Drivers over here will still occasionally make a move without checking behind then. However, as most of central London is 20mph limit, and I always ride sensibly, I have never had any issues, especially as I always give myself plenty of room when I pass cars just in case the decide to turn just as I get level with them.

Ilowarith
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -16

Dark leaning, but will allow the Force to choose.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »

I wear a face mask to protect my mouth, chin and neck from bugs.

I have thermal waterproofs for cold and wet weather. They have knee, hip, shoulder, elbow and back protection in them. For warmer weather I have either my Belstaff jacket or my leather jacket (again with shoulder, elbow and back protection) and various kevlar jeans. And I have fully waterproof boots for Winter, some splash proof boots for Spring/Autumn and some motorcycle trainers for Summer. Add to that winter gloves with full protection and summer gloves with palm and knuckle protection, I kinda set for any involuntary dismounts. However, after cycling in London for 9 years and then riding my 125cc for 2 years, I am so good at predicting when drivers might do something stupid (so I'm going slow and keeping out the way) that on the off-chance they haven't seen me I'm still safe. Penny, my new bike, is so loud that drivers will hear me before they see me.

In the 11 years I have been on two wheels in London I have only come off twice (going round a roundabout during icy weather and wheels went from under me). Never had an involuntary dismount on the motorbike. Drivers over here will still occasionally make a move without checking behind then. However, as most of central London is 20mph limit, and I always ride sensibly, I have never had any issues, especially as I always give myself plenty of room when I pass cars just in case the decide to turn just as I get level with them.

My apologies Bro. You're clearly an experienced rider. I made a false assumption you may have been a little newer, based on my thought you had made your first purchase, not just a new purchase. Also, you'd said you just got your license. Sorry for that!  Lips sealed

Good is a point of view.

My sabers : Aeon v4 - CG - OBS LITE  - Green-silver AV - catalyst pommel - |w| ~ $75 MB upgraded
Electrum Wind - Diamond - VA - SY FoC
Sentinel v4 - Stunt - BR - Silver AV  ~ $75 MB
Dark Apprentice v4 - Stunt - BR
Aeon v4 - Stunt - AB - Silver AV ~ 2020 Spring raffle 4th place
Aeon v3 - Stunt - CG - Silver AV ~ $75 MB

Wishlist : Raven SS, Crimson Butcher, Crimson Savior, Emperor's Hand, Menace SE staff, Crimson Scorpion, Manticore, Flamberge v2, Dark Graflex, Lost Grey, Guardian, Dark Standard Issue v3, & Dark Apprentice LE v5

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 04:03:35 PM »

Congrats on your new license and with the purchage of Penny, she looks great!

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:58:49 PM »

My apologies Bro. You're clearly an experienced rider. I made a false assumption you may have been a little newer, based on my thought you had made your first purchase, not just a new purchase. Also, you'd said you just got your license. Sorry for that!  Lips sealed
No harm, no foul. Been riding my 125cc every day for 2 years. Funnily enough, my examiner commented on the fact that I seemed extremely comfortable on the road around traffic.

Congrats on your new license and with the purchage of Penny, she looks great!
Thank you. Morning ride to work today used to take 30-35mins on my old bike. Did it in 15 today! (although, to be fair, the traffic lights were very kind)

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 07:14:03 AM »

Thank you. Morning ride to work today used to take 30-35mins on my old bike. Did it in 15 today! (although, to be fair, the traffic lights were very kind)

You're welcome. But except fot the traffic lights, was the difference due to Penny being a motorcycle and you used to ride a bicycle? Or will you be having a speeding ticket very soon? Wink

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »

You're welcome. But except fot the traffic lights, was the difference due to Penny being a motorcycle and you used to ride a bicycle? Or will you be having a speeding ticket very soon? Wink
The difference is that my old bike was a 125cc and Penny is 865cc. So, even though I can't speed in central London (due to traffic lights, speed bumps, pedestrian crossings, speed cameras, buses and other traffic) the journey is still faster because I can much more easily overtake when the opporutntiy arises.

I did use to cycle in London for 9 years though. But cycling 50 miles a week on top of going to the gym 4 days a week was too much and began to take a toll. So I upgraded to something with an engine. The plan was always to eventually get my full licence and a bigger engined bike (I have a thread about what you need to do in the UK to get your full licence. Read it here (http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=43339.0)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: