Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Is the Mantis ideal for dueling?  (Read 2220 times)
Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

Sith rejecting the dark side. Light points here.

« on: February 01, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »

I've been considering on whether to get the Crimson Mantis or the Crimson Fallen (I put that I plan to get the Fallen but I can still change my mind). Would the Mantis be ideal for dueling if any of my duel-willing friends want to go heavy or if I get into the dueling community or is it more of a show-off trick saber that is better for light combat but not full duels?

Waiting to get: Apprentice v4 staff: Sentinel Yellow (both sides), Stunt
Planning to get: Empress LE Adegan Silver and Discs, LITE sound, no FoC
Wishlist:
Crimson Menace Fire Orange Obsidian v4
Crimson Fallen Fire Orange, Obsidian v4

Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

Sith rejecting the dark side. Light points here.

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »

Couldn't edit my post to say this because the time frame passed but if it is too heavy for flow arts and practicing the forms of lightsaber combat, as well as dueling, which I'll do less, and I have to use both hands even with a midgrade blade, I might pass for the crimson scorpion (without claw/claw taken off) if it isn't too heavy, the crimson/azure fallen, or the azure grand master, both depending on weight.

Waiting to get: Apprentice v4 staff: Sentinel Yellow (both sides), Stunt
Planning to get: Empress LE Adegan Silver and Discs, LITE sound, no FoC
Wishlist:
Crimson Menace Fire Orange Obsidian v4
Crimson Fallen Fire Orange, Obsidian v4

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:54:33 PM »

Would the Mantis be ideal for dueling if any of my duel-willing friends want to go heavy or if I get into the dueling community or is it more of a show-off trick saber that is better for light combat but not full duels?
Personal Opinion: Neither. If you're expecting it to be the slim, agile Count Dooku hilt, it's not. Due to space requirements for electronics and such, it's a much bigger, bulkier saber. Due to the bend, I don't find it comfortable to use with two hands, and about the only place I can grip it to use it one handed is right at the bend, and it just doesn't move right in my hand. Weight wise, it's not any worse than any of the other US sabers, so it can easily be used with one hand and a heavy grade blade. I'm just not a fan of the curved hilt.

As far as weight in general, all of the US sabers are aluminum, so despite their size, they weigh surprisingly little. Someone asked in another thread how fast you can swing a US saber, to which the best answer is "how fast can you move your arm?"

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

witcher8285
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »

Couldn't edit my post to say this because the time frame passed but if it is too heavy for flow arts and practicing the forms of lightsaber combat, as well as dueling, which I'll do less, and I have to use both hands even with a midgrade blade, I might pass for the crimson scorpion (without claw/claw taken off) if it isn't too heavy, the crimson/azure fallen, or the azure grand master, both depending on weight.
I have the fallen with sound. There is a metal box on the hilt. It is not screwed in. If you want a better grip you must use pliers. I nicked my hilt in the process but, it was necessary. It is a beast of a saber. Even without the soundboard it still has a bit of weight to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: