Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: TCCS photon blade - diffusion  (Read 5066 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: February 05, 2020, 12:03:40 AM »

As I understand, we can talk about The Custom Saber Shop as they are not competitors of US, but have compatible parts.
If that's wrong, mods please delete this.

If this is ok, then I have some questions on the Photon blade. It looks like they sell a 40" blade without diffusion film or blade tip. They do sell the tip, but I don't see that they sell the diffusion film.
Any ideas where I can get some?

Secondary question: I've seen people use sandpaper/steel wool to scratch up the outside of the blade to add a 2nd layer of diffusion.
Is t better to go up/down so there are vertical lines down the blade, or side-to-side so there are horizontal lines?
Personally I think horizontal might catch the light better, but wanted some feedback

-

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 02:00:12 AM »

In my photon blade I used craft cellophane I got at Michaels. I mostly assemble my own blade so i bought a 40" by 100' roll. Its pretty much the same as US and other saber makers roll onto theirs.

Most of those sanded blades are done up and down. One noted saber maker has stated that the more inappropriate it looks when your sanding the blade the better it should look when finished.

My Photon blade with just cellophane diffusion in my Archon 3.1 emitter on a single diode Guardiann Blue:

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 01:54:22 AM »

Fire, have you ever sanded any of your's?

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 02:05:04 AM »

No. I have a sanded blade from the other guys that started it but I don't like it. I don't have any Photons done like that.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 11:39:19 PM »

I just sanded my sons' Heavy grades (non-UG) and I did a "cross-hatching" pattern by accident but it works.
I meant to go side-to-side and travel down the blade, but that made diagonal lines. When I went the other direct up the blade, it made opposing diagonal lines.

My son said it looks like the saber is not "locked in ice" which is cool
It gives the blades a bit more glow to the outer edges and also a kind of "vibration" look.  Not like a Kylo Ren unstable blade, but more of the "humming/pulsing" look of the OT sabers. So definitely a success that I would repeat on a Photon blade

About how much $ is cellophane from Michaels? How much do I need?
I plan on eventually getting the 40" Photon blade from TCCS and 2 round tips, cutting about 6-8" off the blade so I can get a 32-34" blade and a 6-8" "spear hear" So I can couple my Sentinel and my wife's Dark Apprentice and have a staff/spear

-

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 11:53:12 PM »

I think about $12 for a 100 foot roll. You don't need too much but I've never measured. I do mine by feel when i have a thickness i like. I ordered my last roll from Amazon because Michael's was out from holidays.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 12:03:48 AM »

I just sanded my sons' Heavy grades (non-UG) and I did a "cross-hatching" pattern by accident but it works.
I meant to go side-to-side and travel down the blade, but that made diagonal lines. When I went the other direct up the blade, it made opposing diagonal lines.

My son said it looks like the saber is not "locked in ice" which is cool
It gives the blades a bit more glow to the outer edges and also a kind of "vibration" look.  Not like a Kylo Ren unstable blade, but more of the "humming/pulsing" look of the OT sabers. So definitely a success that I would repeat on a Photon blade

About how much $ is cellophane from Michaels? How much do I need?
I plan on eventually getting the 40" Photon blade from TCCS and 2 round tips, cutting about 6-8" off the blade so I can get a 32-34" blade and a 6-8" "spear hear" So I can couple my Sentinel and my wife's Dark Apprentice and have a staff/spear

-

You know the deal...pics or it didn't happen.

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 12:15:53 AM »

You know the deal...pics or it didn't happen.

Oh don't worry, I have all day tomorrow off and will be taking several videos and pics.

In costume

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »

Good work, I like it

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 08:47:41 PM »

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on a few thin walled photon blades to cut to size, sand to diffuse the outer surface and I'll get some cellophane to put inside.

I now have 2 questions:
A) Will photon blades work with TriGreen? I know it doesn't really "glow" unless you use Blue, but would they be as bright as a standard Mid-grade blade at least? I'd like to cut 2 of them to about 26" to use as Day blades for my Tri-green staff.

B) Does anyone know the processing time for TCSS right now? I didn't see anything on their site

-

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 09:25:16 PM »

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on a few thin walled photon blades to cut to size, sand to diffuse the outer surface and I'll get some cellophane to put inside.

I now have 2 questions:
A) Will photon blades work with TriGreen? I know it doesn't really "glow" unless you use Blue, but would they be as bright as a standard Mid-grade blade at least? I'd like to cut 2 of them to about 26" to use as Day blades for my Tri-green staff.

B) Does anyone know the processing time for TCSS right now? I didn't see anything on their site

-

I don't know the answer to #1, but I ordered a day blade, a "Corbin style" show blade, and a 18650 battery holder on 2/1/2020 and I got a shipping notice Friday stating it would be here this Wednesday.  So, it seems to be a week (at least for my stuff).

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 09:42:09 PM »

Sweet thanx. Looks like they'll probably show before my late January US order then.

Gotta keep those sabers and saber accessories flowing.

-

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 01:49:20 AM »

The photon blades with green look a slightly more yellowish green. Kind of like Ahsoka's second saber is The Clone Wars. How its hard to tell if its green or yellow depending on the scene.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 02:14:12 AM »

The photon blades with green look a slightly more yellowish green. Kind of like Ahsoka's second saber is The Clone Wars. How its hard to tell if its green or yellow depending on the scene.
That works for me, thanks. I ordered 3 blades, 2 of which I'll cut down to 26-27 inches for my TriGreen staff just because I want them as Day blades but also because the 24" UEHG blades I'm using now are too heavy to comfortably spin. I just want the color to be nice, green and still as bright (or brighter) than they are in the UEHG. A little yellowing won't hurt and kinda fits as my Jedi character was once a Sentinel.

The 3rd blade I'm planning on cutting ~34" with a pointed tip for my sound saber, which is VA but can be made just blue with a dark green color disc.

Eventually I'll have to get a Tri-Blue saber (or maybe Tri-Silver with a color disc?) to get the full photonic effect.  
Any recommendations? I'm torn between an Aeon/Dominix V2, Apprentice V4 or V5. I want it to be as comfortable for spinning as possible.

-

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 12:46:55 AM »

Oh man that was fast! Made an order with TCSS on Sunday and it shipped Tuesday, so it might get here by next week.
I am very likely to make another order while I wait for my Sentinel V5 LE with sound. I wanna see how VA looks in a purple day blade

Guess I need to go get that roll of cellophane form Michaels to be ready when these arrive.

Quick question: What kind of glue do you recommend for the blade tips? Super glue, plastic cement or something else?

-

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: