Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My general cosplay questions thread  (Read 1948 times)
rosaferri
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -16

Darth Lamia Octavia [Dark/Grey Force Assassin!]

« on: February 12, 2020, 09:07:52 PM »

Hello! I should preface this by saying I’ve never cosplayed before.

Many of the worries I have are pretty easy for me to take care of (how I’m doing the helmet by getting a mandalorian helmet and spray painting/regular painting), but one of the biggest worries I’m having is armor design. I’m going to be using eva foam simply because it’s the easiest for me to do, and many of the undergarments will be simple stuff like basic clothes slightly modified to work better with the outfit.

A bit of background information, since it can be helpful in assisting (and partly because I like bragging on my stuff):
- The Character is an OC of mine that’s in a SW AU i’m working on (there’s a lot of stuff to it)
- Her outfit is entirely created by stuff stolen from victims like trophies (i.e the mandalorian helmet, armor, cloak, boots, belts), and are vaguely mismatched due to it.
- on a technicality this is crossplay (trans woman here), so there’s some dimensional things I need to adjust in the cosplay, and any crossplay advice is greatly appreciated!
- she’s a variant on a Sith Lord (technically an entirely separate force religion known as the Augustian Sith)
- I’m looking at a budget around $300-350, but I can adjust where necessary

Anyways, back to the topic at hand: eva foam.

Do any of you have experience with eva foam? Any particular tips? I don’t wanna just wing it and end up with wasted materials.

I’ll post updates as I work on this!

Arsenal:
"Padawan's Fire" - CG D Initiate V2
"The Holy Relic" - BH Grand Master LE

Wishlist:
D Apprentice V5 SY
D Mantis AV
Consular SRD
Azure Fallen FO

Biofreak659
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:59:24 AM »

Ooooooh, sounds like a fun character!

EVA foam is tricky, and I can't claim to have any experience with it, but this video is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3NHy7Asqc
There are lots of EVA armor patterns out there. Etsy is a good place to look, and Simplicity has a funny boob armor pattern:

I don't know if you wear makeup, but contouring really helps with crossplay (it can only go so far though—I have far too many photos of me dressed as hysterically babyfaced men). You might want to look up drag tutorials too—try the term 'fishy' for more subtle ones though.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

rosaferri
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »

For a breastplate I’m planning on designing it based off of other female stormtrooper/bounty hunter cosplays I’ve found as well as some art design guides for female breastplates.

In terms of makeup (I do plan on wearing it, since I’m not gonna be wearing the helmet the entire time lol), I’m already planning out a palette and will be looking toward contour as well. Thanks for the video! I’ll check it out later.

Arsenal:

Wishlist:
D Apprentice V5 SY
D Mantis AV
Consular SRD
Azure Fallen FO

rosaferri
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:31:01 PM »

Part 1: Helmetry

Now, I should preface this by saying that I've hardly acquired all of the funds I'll be seeking, but considering how things are going, I'd like to plan ahead.

Firstly, my character's helmet. I won't be wearing this *all the time* but I'm going to be wearing it a considerable amount (I don't wanna carry a helmet everywhere).

I considered buying a pre-made mandalorian helmet for cheap, but considering the rampant inconsistencies of Amazon's offers, I've decided to go ahead and just make it myself out of EVA foam.

I know i'll need the EVA foam, contact cement, primer, spray paint, etc.. but I'm wondering right now where I could find a decent mandalorian helmet. This doesn't have to be a fett/mando style, but really just any standard mandalorian look with the T visor being visible enough.

The second question is getting the translucent plastic I would need to shroud the visor. I'm thinking of just getting a yellow or brown (because in my concepts that looks pretty nice), but a black would be more accurate to the design.

Any tips on figuring out a good way to get what I need built? I'm not too worried about getting the foam or materials necessary.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Arsenal:

Wishlist:
D Apprentice V5 SY
D Mantis AV
Consular SRD
Azure Fallen FO

rosaferri
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 06:50:22 AM »

Update: thank the Force! I found exactly what I needed from a youtube video recommendation.

https://youtu.be/BSuEIMpj_S4

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Arsenal:

Wishlist:
D Apprentice V5 SY
D Mantis AV
Consular SRD
Azure Fallen FO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print