Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help with armor/padding.  (Read 4309 times)
Aaric90
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« on: February 14, 2020, 01:28:06 PM »

I have basic gloves for now, however I would like some suggestions on a helmet/face gear and chest gear. I was thinking of getting or making a standard Gambeson that would possibly double as a future SCA approved Gambeson. However, that might not bet the best route to go. If i don't do that, I would like to be able to fully duel while in character. Any suggestions for decent padding/armor that can withstand hits without taking major damage. The few people I do duel currently(with their sabers since I'm still waiting on mine to arrive) are very heavy hitters. I will be getting soccer shin guards for my arms- they seemed sturdy enough.
Thanks in Advance-

Aaric

P.S. I'm a bigger guy currently so suggestions for 3x-4xl are preferred that can be adjusted to 2x as i lose weight; if possible. Thanks again.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 12:30:40 AM »

See here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=41697.0 for a good start, as some posts that have even more links to other threads (especially this post: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=41697.msg734599#msg734599 ).

If you're dueling heavy hitters, I'm going to say you're going to want more protection that what you're currently looking at. You're certainly going to want face/head protection.

Also I'm not ashamed to admit I had to look up what Gambeson is. For everyone else who doesn't know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson . You can also google the term and get some very good picture results.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:44:29 PM »

Normally, for a newb, I'd say stick with light contact, get la crosse gloves, a fencing mask and a jock strap, about in that order.
Most people can take a nutshot or a whack to the head under light contact and not need medical attention. Nobody wants that, but the fighters are working to keep control and pull their hits. So your chances of injury while unarmored are lower.

But, once you said heavy hitters, you gotta do what the safety folks say. 

There's a few threads covering this topic already. moto-cross chestplate sounds cool, but it tends to leave the sternum open.

fingertip caps should be used (and stuffed into the gloves).

HEMA grade mask and other pads should be considered.  Skimping on protection with heavy hitters in play is asking for injury because of how much force is at play and that anywhere it hits can be an injury.

Aaric90
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:30:01 PM »

Thanks, I'll check these out. It woulnd't be a major concern if my main sparring partner didn't have a bit(read a lot) of pent up anger and let it out during dueling. He hits hard and fast. Thankfully the times we have dueled I've been able to parry the harder swings and haven't taken anything major and he does listen to 'HOLD' command to stop. I defintiely would not want to come against him in SCA heavy combat. The fact that hes fast worries me. I have a few ideas of what to get as far as face mask, I was looking to get a three blade grade fencing mask for headgear, but I'm not a fan of just the metal mesh, so maybe getting soemthing a little flashier to add to it later or finding a custom one that holds up to the same standards.
I already have a cup ordered that'll fit.
I'll check the other thread that was linked above. Thanks for the tips guys.

Aaric90
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »

See here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=41697.0 for a good start, as some posts that have even more links to other threads (especially this post: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=41697.msg734599#msg734599 ).

If you're dueling heavy hitters, I'm going to say you're going to want more protection that what you're currently looking at. You're certainly going to want face/head protection.

Also I'm not ashamed to admit I had to look up what Gambeson is. For everyone else who doesn't know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson . You can also google the term and get some very good picture results.

I've got the head gear covered, will be getting a 3 weapon grade fencing mask, not sure if I had mentioned in m previous reply, and a tad too lazy to read through it again. Just need to order it now.

My_karuba
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:19:04 PM »

A gambeson is a good start, kidex is great for protection too. Also, in the steel fighting community people often have motorcycle protective gear under their gambesons. It is sleek and well hidden but definitely protects well. I personally use crash pads and those soft football pad things under my armor (steel combat armor, very new to lighstaber combat). Hands and such can be protected by leather or plastic gauntlets. You can make those look in universe very simple.

Aaric90
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 07:51:43 AM »

A gambeson is a good start, kidex is great for protection too. Also, in the steel fighting community people often have motorcycle protective gear under their gambesons. It is sleek and well hidden but definitely protects well. I personally use crash pads and those soft football pad things under my armor (steel combat armor, very new to lighstaber combat). Hands and such can be protected by leather or plastic gauntlets. You can make those look in universe very simple.
Thanks for the tips. I need to get through my wedding first with the Gambeson, since thatll be my only one for some time.
I just need to find body armor to go under/over it that isnt bad for bigger guys like myself, which is where i've struggled finding anything for the body.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: