Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 7/8" blade adapters and Day blades question  (Read 1298 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: February 17, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »

I was looking on TCSS after getting my photon blades (which I love btw) and since i have a ton of cellophane left, I want to get Blue and Red day blades for my sons.
But they want thick walled blades and the tips for those colors are out of stock.

So I had an idea: get thin walled Blue & Red 1" OD blades including tips and 7/8" OD blades (either thin or thick walled) and just "sheath" the colored blade around the 7/8" since that is the ID of the 1" thin walled.
Boom! Same thickness as thick walled blade.

And of course, this idea lead to a plethora of others like getting 7/8" thick walled blades with 1" adapters just to have that 'Rebels' look. TCSS suggests using a 1" OD thin walled for this purpose, so they should be compatible for my idea.

Anyone have any experience with this? Will 2 thin walled blades stacked together be as strong as a single thick walled blade?

-

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »

It is a very very tight fit. I use small sections of 7/8  to adapt mid-grade blades to fit my Archon 3.1 emitter and those are almost too tight squeeze in far enough, 3/4 inch only. To get the whole length in there you will  need to sand it down some.

Also it will not add up to the full strength of a heavy-grade blade. The two tube can flex around each other, so while they will be stronger than either individually they will not match the strength of a thicker wall.

Third point unless you want to pad them the heavier and thicker their blades are the more likely they are to get hurt. I fight with an adult club and we use heavy grade blades but we also wear heavy graded fencing masks hockey gloves or equivalent, and some type of body and joint armor/padding.

When i fight with anyone else I use thin walled/mid-grade blades. They are plenty durable but they are lighter and offer more forgiving impacts than their thicker counterparts. The lighter weight also offer better balance and maneuverability for more precise control and better accuracy training.

Also i use the small ring of 3/4 or 7/8 tube in the bottoms of my blades to retain the film. It allows the film to still free float without falling out. Letting the film float keeps it from getting creases and wrinkles as it often did from blade movement when US and others still glued it in.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Plus, buying 2 thin-walled blades adds to the cost rather than just getting a proper thick walled blade.

So my secondary question would be: What do you recommend it the thick-walled tips are still out of stock when I go to buy these?
Could I buy a Blue thick walled blade and a thin-walled tip and just sand down the difference to fit?  That's less effort that sanding the whole blade to fit into another blade and doesn't compromise the durability. But it certainly would be hard to get an EXACT fit.

Could I get away with getting a clear thick-walled tip and use permanent blue marker on it?

-

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »

Sanding that center will be hard work and very hard to make even unless you find a way to mount it and spin the tip. If it was me, I would just get clear tips until the colored ones come available. Even when glued with something like E-6000 they are easy to pry off and change.

Also there is a company out there that does thich walled dayblades with a lifetime warranty. Maybe something to consider if you think they're going to be bashing that hard that they'll need thick walled anyway.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 07:14:05 PM »

Even when glued with something like E-6000 they are easy to pry off and change.
That doesn't match my experience.  I score the inside surfaces (trick I learned for plastic miniatures) and when I push-fit the tip of my photon blade, I had a really hard time getting it out even without glue. That's why I'm just using regular super glue.

But I'll probably take your advice about the clear tips as those are in stock atm. I could also use permanent marker to match the color.
Personally, I prefer thin-walled blades because of the brightness and lighter weight for spinning, but these would be for my sons who actually want to duel.
I was thinking of just getting HG blades with their sabers for dueling, and the day blades for show (as that is what I am doing) but my oldest really wants something 'all-in-one' for when he saves up for his Fallen.

I also thought about getting 7/8" blades and adapting them for my staff to give the shorter blades the appearance of being longer, but after I got my 1" OD blades installed, I decided they look good enough

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 07:34:09 PM »

I just pry them out with the blade of a knife. I have had most fit tightly when pressed in also. TCSS has really high standards. I have been dueling hard hard for over two years with the dayblades in my Zweihander and only recently have to reattach one tip on one of the cross blades.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »

Yeah the quality is pretty great, but what's impressed me most is how quickly they've shipped. Both my orders so far have arrived within 4 days of ordering. Just what I need to tie me over while I wait the 6+ weeks for my saber with sound to arrive.

-

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 08:03:43 PM »

That's the typical.  I ordered some parts to finish a build last Friday they'll  arrive tomorrow. I have a spare sound board that i think is going to wait for my next US order. But that will probably hold til summer.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff