Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Mad Scholar's Tale  (Read 13635 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »

"The female of the species is deadlier than the male."

I believe that this is an axiom that Kiath is about to learn ad nauseam.  Funny how these training scenes make for such excellent story settings, and this chapter is no exception.  Again: I like the fresh perspective coming from the Sith along with the deeper characterization of Lady Ricane.  Interesting in that she seems so much more...invested in Kiath than would most Sith Masters (of course, we have yet to see a POV from her perspective so her exact motives remain obscured). 

I'm reminded of The Old Republic where the lines separating Jedi from Sith were VERY tenuous much of the time, where Jedi could be violent hardliners as dark as any Sith while Sith could express compassion even love, blurring the lines between "Black and White" morality.  THIS story evinces me of just that temperament: we have NO idea what is driving Racine, only that she and Kiath share a very...complicated relationship.  PS, I'd love to see more of the interplay between these two!

Glad to see that you're continuing this story, PS.  I hope that the next chapter is forthcoming  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 08:54:28 PM »

Small update: Chapter V is progressing smoothly and I've fully finished the outline for all 10 chapters so I should be able to crank these out a bit faster Smiley

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 06:00:12 PM »

Small update: Chapter V is progressing smoothly and I've fully finished the outline for all 10 chapters so I should be able to crank these out a bit faster Smiley
No worries; Real Life seems to have asserted itself vehemently this year  Wink

Whenever you can post^^

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2021, 05:40:49 AM »

No worries; Real Life seems to have asserted itself vehemently this year  Wink

you dont say, lol. Ive got the chapter in my head ive just gotta type it out

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »

V

The acolyte’s eyes snapped open as he lurched forward, sitting upright. His stomach lurched and his head spun, prompting his falling back to where he laid. Kiath’s head made a quiet rustle meeting soft fabric, though to him, it may as well have been duracrete. Groaning, he gently propped himself to his side, letting the dizziness subside and observed the room around him. It was small, personal quarters craved from stone, flat shelves sculpted into the walls held up a few of Kiath’s personal items; his battered armor, comlink, and his lightsaber. Something else nearby tested the limits of his extrasensory perception. Kiath took inventory of the situation.

Well, I’m not dead. Kiath winced at the pain seemingly pushing against his skull. As if those tricks could kill me. With some effort, he lifted himself to his feet. His body screamed in rebellion, his lungs burned, his vision blurred, but he stood nonetheless. Kiath closed his eyes and steadied on his breathing, commanding his flayed nerves and scarred skin to obey his focus. The pain subsided to a tolerable level as he opened his eyes to the being he had sensed outside the doorway.

A girl, scarcely younger than the acolyte himself. She was human, taller than Kiath, with light blonde hair and amber eyes, and wearing a coarse cream-colored tunic. A large, seemingly damaged lightsaber hilt hung at her waist. But it wasn’t what Kiath could see that struck him. He could feel it, palpable in the force, like a javelin from her eyes to his core. Judgment. An unmistakable resentment, and an ephemeral sense of curiosity – no – it was harsher than that; he could feel her mind scouring his, looking for anything and everything she could gleam. For a moment, Kiath felt fear, but only for a moment. He quickly brought his mind and body into unison gathering a presence, a root, to the moment. He spoke first.

“Normally, I understand why someone might take irritation to me, but I cannot honestly say what I have done to slight you. Nor why I should care.”

“You haven’t slighted me.” Her voice was flat and cutting, without accent. Though the response acknowledged Kiath words, it was said so quickly the acolyte was left with disbelief if she had even fully understood the meaning, “Not yet. But you will. It’s written all over your mind.” She walked out of the doorway and down a hall, “we’re expected, I believe.”

Kiath stood a moment, processing the bizarre exchange before quickly clipping his lightsaber to his belt, following the strange woman at a distance. The halls appeared carved from a type of sandstone, too smoothly for hand-tools, yet tiny imperfections in the angles of the walls, doorways whose entrance was just shy of parallel, and the lack of harsh angles discounted the idea of modern machinery. Faint etchings depicted curving patterns that repeated at odd intervals, producing a sort of visually dissonant cycle. Light was present enough, but seemed to emanate from the air itself, no source making itself known. Kiath reached the end of the hallway, reaching a large chamber Kiath instantly recognized – and the associated man kneeling on a raised section of floor in the center of the chamber. The unfamiliar woman stood before Vansi, arms crossed, glaring at the acolyte from the edge of her vision. Kiath kept his distance. An upbeat voice boomed.

“Acolyte, welcome. You’ve nothing to fear here, please come closer.” Vansi stated, his hand outstretched. Kiath approached out of curiosity as much as obedience. “I apologize if our first meeting left you pained, but you needed to provide me answers that you were unlikely to divulge with words.”

Kiath sighed, more riddles from a madman, “Well I’m happy that pathetic excuse for a beating brought you your precious answers.” His sarcasm elicited another icy look from the strange woman. Vansi answered the look first.

“Indeed it did. I see you’ve met your newest compatriot. Czeq Kiath, Rilee Amorte. Rilee has rested here for a short while now, but I am giddy to accept you into my home as well.” An uncomfortable silence permeated the chamber, Kiath pondered on his situation, his original purpose here becoming more complex by the moment. He thought on this woman, and her lingering yet clear animosity; he wondered of the source nearly finding some kernel of truth, until his thoughts were broken by Vansi’s unsettling laughter.

“Yes, Acolyte, your senses serve you well,” Vansi said, rising from his perch, “Rilee, your new compatriot, is indeed a Jedi…that will not be a problem for you, will it?”

Kiath scowled. He had entertained this vague game long enough, his time, his body, and now his mind had been at the mercy of this puppeteering. He focused his built rage from his chest and into his vocal cords, producing an inhuman timbre as he spoke. He made his declaration.

“Enough!” A fine layer of dust shook from the walls, the sound echoing, Rilee’s face twisted in disgust as Vansi’s head tilted curiously at the enraged Acolyte, “Not one more riddle, duel, half-truth, or unspoken judgement! Too long have I tolerated subtext and manipulation from so-called masters and Darths. I demand the whole truth. Spoken plainly. Do you hear me wizard!?”

The room quieted and the dust settled. Rilee’s disgust had turned to guarded curiosity, and Vansi walked to the acolyte, facing him directly from an arms-length away. Kiath could only see his warped reflection in Vansi’s mask as the man spoke. He could not feel emotion from the man’s spirit, but Vansi’s motions spoke of pride.

“Indeed Acolyte,” Vansi spoke deliberately, “you, more so than most perhaps, deserve clarity. Sadly, no such thing exists. However, I can give you some small reprieve.” Vansi walked back to his perch and sat, gesturing Kiath and Rilee to sit before him. Kiath exhaled and approached the man, kneeling as indicated. Rilee followed suit, Kiath could feel the tension in her being.

Do the Jedi truly fear us this much? He mused to himself. He focused attention to the enigmatic man as Vansi spoke once again.

“You both sit here before me because you have been lied to. You have been twisted and directed by the wills of uncaring masters.” He regarded Kiath, “I tell you acolyte, your Master sent you here to die. For the world to ravage your body and leave your mind alone to shatter. The fires and winds day brings have surely left your vessel irreparably damaged and it is questionable if your Master even suspected you would be able to find me. She surely suspected that even if you did discover me, I’d be of no help to you.” Kiath gritted his teeth but said nothing. Vansi continued, “However, she underestimated you. Your connection with the force is an unfocused dissonance, but undeniably strong. Stronger than she accounted for.” Vansi turned to face Rilee.

“Padawan Amorte, fresh from your trials and already questioning the word of your elders. Your Master was perturbed by your unconformity and sought to correct that. He travelled with you to this desolate place hoping to “teach” you of the Dark Side. In truth, he did not hope to teach, he hoped to terrify you. He hoped your fear would galvanize you to the light - how hypocritical of those who claim their fear does not control them, no? And what did that bring you?” Kiath noticed as her expression turned pained, absently touching the saber at her waist. Vansi stood and outstretched his arms.

“Acolyte. Padawan. I strip you of these titles and of the shackles of manipulation forced upon you. No longer do you answer to dogma and games. Today, you are for the first time, free. And while I cannot provide the means to leave this place, nor can I replace your grand temples, I can lift the fog of the world around you. I bestow upon you only the title of ‘Student’.” His arms turned inward, “I am no master but I would be humbled if I could be called your Teacher.”

The room turned dead silent, and the two students turned their thoughts inward, searching for some insight and wisdom in the chaos the universe had thrust upon them. They raised their heads to greet Vansi.

“Yes, Teacher.”

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2021, 10:32:51 PM »

Nice there are all kinds of games going on here, even in Vansi's 'explanation' of callous masters you can tell amidst the undoubted truth there much not being said - he frees them - emphasis on the fact it is Vansi assuming the authority to do so - then asks to be their teacher...very round about and subtle.  I like this conniving take where everyone has an deeper agenda, except perhaps these two young pawns. 

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2021, 02:18:10 PM »

Nice there are all kinds of games going on here, even in Vansi's 'explanation' of callous masters you can tell amidst the undoubted truth there much not being said - he frees them - emphasis on the fact it is Vansi assuming the authority to do so - then asks to be their teacher...very round about and subtle.  I like this conniving take where everyone has an deeper agenda, except perhaps these two young pawns. 

Glad you enjoyed! And dont worry - there's plenty more mind games where that came from  Grin

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2021, 04:47:43 PM »

LSG actually hit upon a point that I was thinking about when reading: how EVERYONE has their own singular motive where, at least for the moment, they have a common target.  That said, I can also see how even a slight deviation could set up further conflict when Kiath's, Vansi's, and Rilee's agendas turn to cross-purposes.  But this also opens up the question: what kind of relationship do/will the three of them have?  We have two (obvious) Sith who (I THINK) are NOT of the Banite mindset of "Only 2" AND a disenfranchised Jedi whose grievances are still ambiguous.

In other words: and EXCELLENT mix of pathos for conflict in this story  Smiley

I have to admit that the way that I read Vansi, he sounds more akin to a "benevolent Sith" from SWTOR, that and I've always found such...shall we say, "morally cryptic" characters a pleasure to write/read^^ 

I cannot wait to hear more about all of this group; there's SO much potential for storytelling with them  Grin

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2021, 04:38:54 PM »

LSG actually hit upon a point that I was thinking about when reading: how EVERYONE has their own singular motive where, at least for the moment, they have a common target.  That said, I can also see how even a slight deviation could set up further conflict when Kiath's, Vansi's, and Rilee's agendas turn to cross-purposes.  But this also opens up the question: what kind of relationship do/will the three of them have?  We have two (obvious) Sith who (I THINK) are NOT of the Banite mindset of "Only 2" AND a disenfranchised Jedi whose grievances are still ambiguous.

In other words: and EXCELLENT mix of pathos for conflict in this story  Smiley

I have to admit that the way that I read Vansi, he sounds more akin to a "benevolent Sith" from SWTOR, that and I've always found such...shall we say, "morally cryptic" characters a pleasure to write/read^^ 

I cannot wait to hear more about all of this group; there's SO much potential for storytelling with them  Grin

Good to hear! Sorry theres been a lull but i do hope to continue this in short order. But to address the morality point i can only say that i have a personal distaste for moral "black and whites". The universe both real and fictional is so much more complicated than that, and GOOD guys and BAD guys do the fascinating complexities of life a disservice.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: