Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wall Mount display - revisited  (Read 1571 times)
Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -50

DS points please :)

« on: February 22, 2020, 04:53:12 AM »

Hello!

I have searched on this topic and have found some basic wall mounting ideas so far, but let me bounce this idea off of everyone and see if it's plausible :

What I would like to do is, mount two sabers in a sort of crossed blade X orientation, one Light Side blue (or green, maybe) and the Dark Side red saber clashing with it.  The thing I have a question about is, what if I wanted to have them lit up on demand like a neon bar sign in a man cave?  I'd use stunt sabers of course, but the hurdle is, how would I power the hilt/blades externally?  Wire in some sort of transformer like a wall charger?  Ideally something that could power both hilts.  And what of the issue of the LED heat sink?  Would heat build up keep me from having the display powered on for longer periods? 

Any thoughts?  The blades need to look energized like they are clashing, so I'm not planning on trying to dye or make the blades appear red or blue (or green) without power, as was suggested by a family member  lol

Thanks!

Spectre, pro build, NEC Igniter 3, NPxl
Grand Master, Azure, pro build, GHv3, NPxl
Empress (dark), Pro ffie2.2, NPxl
Dark Apprentice LE V5, Xenopixel core 30 fonts *woot*
Sentinel LE V5, Xenopixel core, 30 fonts

rosaferri
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -16

Darth Lamia Octavia [Dark/Grey Force Assassin!]

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 05:23:01 AM »

Hello!

I have searched on this topic and have found some basic wall mounting ideas so far, but let me bounce this idea off of everyone and see if it's plausible :

What I would like to do is, mount two sabers in a sort of crossed blade X orientation, one Light Side blue (or green, maybe) and the Dark Side red saber clashing with it.  The thing I have a question about is, what if I wanted to have them lit up on demand like a neon bar sign in a man cave?  I'd use stunt sabers of course, but the hurdle is, how would I power the hilt/blades externally?  Wire in some sort of transformer like a wall charger?  Ideally something that could power both hilts.  And what of the issue of the LED heat sink?  Would heat build up keep me from having the display powered on for longer periods? 

Any thoughts?  The blades need to look energized like they are clashing, so I'm not planning on trying to dye or make the blades appear red or blue (or green) without power, as was suggested by a family member  lol

Thanks!
It would be super cool to do this! You'd definitely have to fight off the issues of LED heat sink and whatnot, but I think the rest would be easy. Changing the power source is just a matter of wiring the LEDs to an external source as opposed to a battery pack.

I'm curious to see what you'd come up with!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Arsenal:
"Padawan's Fire" - CG D Initiate V2
"The Holy Relic" - BH Grand Master LE

Wishlist:
D Apprentice V5 SY
D Mantis AV
Consular SRD
Azure Fallen FO

DarthSyronimus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -40

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:02:34 AM »

have you checked out day blades?

a recharge port with 1.2A charger should allow you have it on indefinitely (according to UltraSabers)

Dark Side here, Grey in RPGs
(Order#1 - Ordered 1/27/20 - Arrived 3/12/20)
* Diamond Dominicide for me (died 4/2/20, sent back 5/23/20 for repairs, back in hand and working 6/4/2020)
* Diamond Dark Apprentice LE v5 for the 10yo Padawan
* Stunt Aeon LE v3 - Blazing Red (FreeMysteryBox) for the missus
* Stunt Initiate v2 - Guardian Blue (FreeInitiate) for the 7yo Youngling
(Order #2 - Ordered 5/17/20 - Arrived 9/13/20)
* Stunt Dark Overlord - Consular Green ($75 Mystery Box)
* Yari (Pike) Extension with 16" UEHG
* Silver Vented QR Coupler

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:44:54 PM »

have you checked out day blades?

a recharge port with 1.2A charger should allow you have it on indefinitely (according to UltraSabers)

"Day" blades?  Intriguing!  I've never heard of such a thing !  what are their characteristics?

Also, thanks for the tip on the 1.2A charger !  Being that I would be using stunt sabers, how would the wiring go?  I would be bypassing the battery pack of course, and running power to the LED's.  How easy would it be to wire a recharge port into the hilts? Would the same 1.2A charger be enough to power both of the sabers or just one?

About the LED heat sink issue...  Not really sure what the heat dissipation of the LED's are or what the intended duty cycle of the MLS' standard heat sink.   Would there be a way to shunt the LED heat to the hilt itself and make it one huge heat sink?  I would isolate the hilts in the wall mounts to help keep the wall paint from blistering lol

Thanks for the feedback thus far!

ANAKIN0211
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 11:17:54 PM »

Hello!

Thanks!
I love this idea! Im not sure how it could work just yet but even trying to sync it up with amazon alexa or google home would be insane!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 03:20:45 AM »

Ok update I have my first wall mount candidate -- my first Mystery Saber order came today and it is a Sentinel V5 (no sound) with RED blade  Smiley  I know, it's not the dark hilt but the vented emitter looks really good in red. 

DarthSyronimus
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:52:58 AM »

Ok update I have my first wall mount candidate -- my first Mystery Saber order came today and it is a Sentinel V5 (no sound) with RED blade  Smiley  I know, it's not the dark hilt but the vented emitter looks really good in red. 

congrats!!! (update your .sig with your new acquisition Cheesy)

* Diamond Dominicide for me (died 4/2/20, sent back 5/23/20 for repairs, back in hand and working 6/4/2020)

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 04:02:04 AM »

I will do that!  Thanks!

jonpluc
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 05:24:47 AM »

bizzarly enough i had this exact same idea and im just waiting to get my next saber order to execute it. My plan was to just use some wide L brackets for the hilts to rest on and maybe small wooden dowels with screws on end to go around the perimeter of the entire blade to stabalize it and i was just going to plug both hilts into wall full time with 2 1.2a charge plugs and i was just going to use each saber switch to power them up individually when i wanted it on and off. But this was just my intiial thoughts and im sure your set up will be way better. I know knothing about LED heat sinks nor about thier nessesity and i just intended to only keep them on for a few hours at a time. Does anyone think this will be an issue? (and mine will not be stunt sabers so i want to be able to take them down from the wall to use them, then put them back up in x formation when im done., so i dont want them wirelooped around to the wall or anything, unless you wirelooped the blade only  and left it so you could easily unmount the hilt, remove it seperatly from the blade, then just have backup blades to play with once detached)

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 03:02:26 AM »

bizzarly enough i had this exact same idea and im just waiting to get my next saber order to execute it. My plan was to just use some wide L brackets for the hilts to rest on and maybe small wooden dowels with screws on end to go around the perimeter of the entire blade to stabalize it and i was just going to plug both hilts into wall full time with 2 1.2a charge plugs and i was just going to use each saber switch to power them up individually when i wanted it on and off. But this was just my intiial thoughts and im sure your set up will be way better. I know knothing about LED heat sinks nor about thier nessesity and i just intended to only keep them on for a few hours at a time. Does anyone think this will be an issue? (and mine will not be stunt sabers so i want to be able to take them down from the wall to use them, then put them back up in x formation when im done., so i dont want them wirelooped around to the wall or anything, unless you wirelooped the blade only  and left it so you could easily unmount the hilt, remove it seperatly from the blade, then just have backup blades to play with once detached)

Yes that was my way of thinking too -- attach a 1.2A charge to both. Though in my case, with using stunt sabers, I would not have a recharge port to plug into, nor would I have a vented pommel with which to route power wires in, anyway.  Would have to change the whole battery setup to either bypass the battery packs altogether, or ..?    In my case they would stay as display sabers, as I have a couple others a bit nicer to wield should I need to lol.   I was planning on attaching or suspending the pommel ends using a covertec wheel and a wall mount concocted of monofilament line and camouflaged (painted the wall color) screws in close proximity such that they are hidden behind the pommel to some extend (at least when viewed from the front).  The blades would then be pivoted from below and tied together with a loop of that fishing line  lol would have to see how it looked and how stable the whole arrangement was, and go from there.

In regards to the heat sinks, I know they are very small in some of the LED housings I have seen. I guess the key might be if the heat sink is mounted to an aluminum sleeve (or plastic as I have seen in some cases).  There might then be some small heat conductivity from the LED sleeve into the hilt itself (Ultrasabers, correct me on this)?  UPDATE: further research on the Forum has revealed in a thread of basic DIY that yes, the modular LED is designed to heat sink by slip fitting into the hilt and having the hilt bleed off heat in extended (25+ minutes ON time).  Will definitely have to ensure that the wall mounts are heat resistant (say if the heat builds such that even the pommel end will melt the wall mount), and that I don't leave the wall display on when I leave the room.

So right now the hurdle for me is the wiring of a wall charger/power supply into the sabers' battery packs (and as such, voiding the warranty I'm sure ! )

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 04:07:12 AM »

I love this idea! Im not sure how it could work just yet but even trying to sync it up with amazon alexa or google home would be insane!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

yes !!  that would be too cool!  I guess once I figure out the power issue (how to wire a 1.2A recharger into standard battery pack stunt sabers), I could then just plug the charger into a smart outlet that can link to the Alexa  lol

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 02:51:09 AM »

speaking of updating the .sig , have any of your orders from 1/27 been completed yet?

DarthSyronimus
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »

speaking of updating the .sig , have any of your orders from 1/27 been completed yet?

I just updated my .sig a few hours ago Smiley

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »

I just updated my .sig a few hours ago Smiley

Sweet! Yup, right around the 6 week lead time huh ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: