Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Another "best hilt for spinning" thread.  (Read 2746 times)
Fashion
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 22, 2020, 06:39:20 AM »

Hello!

I already own a Sentinel LE v5 which is awesome for spinning. But I’m wondering if there’s a lighter and/or a faster one?
I know there are the small sabers such as the initiate or the apprentice but are they well balanced? Is a long saber like the arbiter good?
And about the blade : I have a 36" midgrade, is it too long for a very fast spinning?
Does the electronic change significantly the weight or I can choose whatever I want?

The different sabers I have in scope:
- Standard issue battle saber v3
- Aeon v3 or initiate v3
- Aeon v2 or initiate v2
- Liberator v3

I’m looking for the best one for spinning!

Bonus question:
The fallen is very beautiful and I will certainly take one one day, but is it good for spinning?

Thank you very much. I know there is a lot of topics about this exact same question but they seem old or not corresponding to me.

Raven SS Edition - Obsidian Lite - Blazing Red
Sentinel LE v5 - Obsidian v4 - Sunrider’s Destiny

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:22:48 AM »

My favourite is a stunt Aeon v4 with a War Glaive pommel and a 32"HG blade.
The balancepoint is exactly at the top of the chokepoint around the emitter.

I still haven't weighted it, but because of the balance it feels great and fast.
A forum user Samhain uses a Flamberge pommel to balance it out and it looks real beautiful.

Aeon v3 is real nice, a bit softer to the touch compared to a v4., looks great as well but I've grown a preference for the v4 chokepoints.

Unfortunately no experience in wielding the Standard issue of Liberator.

The top one has the War Glaive pommel, the bottom one a Catalyst pommel wich I think lookgs great but adds less weight and therefore the balancepoint stays a bit more then an inch in front of the hilt.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Fashion
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »

Thank you very much for your answer. The softer hilt is what appeal to me so much with the v3.
By the way, I would prefer a lighter blade. If I choose a MG 32" it means the balance point will be lower down the hilt?

Raven SS Edition - Obsidian Lite - Blazing Red
Sentinel LE v5 - Obsidian v4 - Sunrider’s Destiny

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:58:18 PM »

Yes, MG are about half the weight of a HG, wich wil lead to a balancepoint more down the hilt. My guess will be just above the on/off switch

I still haven't wieghted my blades and hilts so this is a rought estimate. But the Aeon combined with a HG is around 600grams, with a MG that should be around 450gr. But the MG will make your saber more hilt-heavy. So you'll probably will use a lower chokepoint to balance it out.

What I like about my setup is the fact that the balancepoint is right at the chokepoint I like to use, making it a very balanced saber for spinning. And that way the weight doesn't bother me that much.

Another example. I am the proud owner of a 'real' miaodao (in short Chinese version of the katana, Japanese stole the idea of the saber a very long time ago and made it what it is today), wich is a 117cm long and around 1400grams heavy blade. And i own several suburito's (large bokken) 116cm long and weighing 'only' around 800grams. But if it comes to handling the sabers I always prefer the miadoa due to it's superior balance and weightdistribution.  Don't get me wrong, I'll never spin with a large metal saber (something todo with safety Wink ), but it is a much nicer saber to wield then the wooden suburito wich is almost half the weight.

But as with everything. Every person has his/her own personal preferences. That's why they always taught me that a sword chooses its user  Grin

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »

The Fallen is a incredible saber but imo, it's not suited for spinning at all unless you're 6'4" with huugggeeeee hands. The grenade grip on it also is an issue. I LOVE it overall and it's a beast of a saber for dueling and quite comfortable for that purpose. I tried spinning and...nope, nuh uh. lol

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »

To me the Aeon/Dominix V4s are the best to spin for the best balance

Robyn_Goodfellow
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 155

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 03:03:06 PM »

Do any of you peps Spin with a Catalyst?
The design looks very ergonomic and perfect for spin practice.
I’ve never held one before but it’s something I’ve considered for spinning.... anything is better than my Flamberge... WHICH I LOVE. But it’s a bit of a beast Grin

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 04:17:52 PM »

Do any of you peps Spin with a Catalyst?
The design looks very ergonomic and perfect for spin practice.
I’ve never held one before but it’s something I’ve considered for spinning.... anything is better than my Flamberge... WHICH I LOVE. But it’s a bit of a beast Grin

I have, it feels great, have something to showcase sometime soon

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 05:14:38 PM »

I don't have a Catalyst, but I concur with the deep radiused chokes. My go-to spinning/dueling is my Ini V3. It would benefit from a heavier pommel, but the grip, imo, is second to none.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »

My go to are the V4 sabers, the Aeon, Dominix, and Sentinel V4s

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »

My go to are the V4 sabers, the Aeon, Dominix, and Sentinel V4s
The V4s are nice, but I prefer the deeper chokes.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: