Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars: The High Republic  (Read 4526 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 03:50:11 AM »

[quote author=StoryDtechtive link=topic=44314.msg753040#msg753040 date=

Cut to The High Republic. Yes, Yoda would be alive. The idea of the Jedi being like the knights of the round table could be very interesting. But 200 years...this is a time when the Jedi are at the doorway of what lead to the council in the prequels...which were a tainted version of themselves, duped by the Republic, essentially did their work for them while struggling to find an enemy right under their noses. The dark side was on the rise and had already gained such power as to blind their vision and keep them fighting a hopeless battle.

So that timeframe of 200 years ago, much like the knights of Camelot, is a search for Utopia while engaging in battles which will ultimately just give energy to the dark side of the force and create opposition. We know it’s a time of growing darkness which gives birth to the legend of a “Chosen One” who will come and save them.

I'll admit I don't know much about the prequel alien lifespans. Wookies are long lived... Yoda is naturally ancient... but the rest? I don't know. If they are anything 'close' to human life spans... 200 years CAN be a long time. A LOT can happen in that time frame.

For context... It's like saying we don't want a story dealing with the Revolutionary war... because we know how America turns out....     LOTS of story that can be played with. Now if Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin were still sitting on capital hill directing things, then change may be a bit slow... but who knows what stories can be told Wink

I hope they at least embrace 'the past' in ways that the prequels didn't. Technology and ideas should be 'older' then the current years. More like Star Trek Enterprise than Discovery.

While it never outright said it in the prequels, the way the characters spoke gave off the vibe the Jedi had remained unchanged for quite a long time... As if no one...even Yoda was there when their current way of doing things was established.  They mention the Sith were destroyed a Millennia (1000 years) before TPM.  It would make sense that after their main enemy was "gone" The Jedi would evolve..or diminish depending on your POV.  That's what I...and it seems many others...got from the Prequels.  To be completely transparent my main source of contention with the 200 years is I don't want to see "regular" people in SW.  I got into SW because of the Jedi and Sith.  I want stories 100% focused on their war.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

phantom1592
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 08:26:42 PM »

While it never outright said it in the prequels, the way the characters spoke gave off the vibe the Jedi had remained unchanged for quite a long time... As if no one...even Yoda was there when their current way of doing things was established.  They mention the Sith were destroyed a Millennia (1000 years) before TPM.  It would make sense that after their main enemy was "gone" The Jedi would evolve..or diminish depending on your POV.  That's what I...and it seems many others...got from the Prequels.  To be completely transparent my main source of contention with the 200 years is I don't want to see "regular" people in SW.  I got into SW because of the Jedi and Sith.  I want stories 100% focused on their war.

I HATE the 'rule of two'... I find it insanely limiting.  That said, I remember during the prequels to want something OTHER than Sith for a change. The one sub-sect of evil jedi that followed one particular path of forbidden knowledge was getting old.  I found Count Dooku to be refreshing because he was just a disgraced Jedi who embraced the dark side and abandoned the Jedi Order... and I wanted MORE OF THAT. Not everyone had to be a 'Darth'...  I think they backtracked on that too and made Dooku a Sith Lord too... but that first appearance made it look like he was just a 'dark jedi'.

That could still have some potential.

One thing I don't think they do enough with is fallen Jedi. The Jedi order is very strict... they have very rigid rules that are hard to live up to.... and they focus on life, so outright execution of anyone who fails their ideals is out of character.... I want to see what happens to the jedi who have mastery of the force.. but aren't out for universe domination either.

Light Side all the way Cheesy

Ordered 2/8/20:

*Azure Fallen: Obsidian v4, Guardian Blue, Flash Silver, Recharge port, Blue illuminated AVswitch
*Mystery Box
*Free Initiate

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 09:09:29 PM »

I HATE the 'rule of two'... I find it insanely limiting.  That said, I remember during the prequels to want something OTHER than Sith for a change. The one sub-sect of evil jedi that followed one particular path of forbidden knowledge was getting old.  I found Count Dooku to be refreshing because he was just a disgraced Jedi who embraced the dark side and abandoned the Jedi Order... and I wanted MORE OF THAT. Not everyone had to be a 'Darth'...  I think they backtracked on that too and made Dooku a Sith Lord too... but that first appearance made it look like he was just a 'dark jedi'.

That could still have some potential.

One thing I don't think they do enough with is fallen Jedi. The Jedi order is very strict... they have very rigid rules that are hard to live up to.... and they focus on life, so outright execution of anyone who fails their ideals is out of character.... I want to see what happens to the jedi who have mastery of the force.. but aren't out for universe domination either.

While you could say The Rule of Two was limiting..it made total sense and was a smart plan.  It eliminated the internal strife and conflicts that plagued the sith...it allowed them to hide nearly in plain sight and it assured that only the strongest lived on.   Dooku was a Sith Lord the first time we saw him...Darth Tyranus.  We were meant to think...like the characters...that Dooku wasn't a Sith but just one of the "Lost" Jedi.  Jedi who had left the Order.  It wasn't until his red blade was revelead that we were supposed to discover he was Sith...but of course we all knew since the toys had been out for like 3 weeks before the film.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord Vaalic
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »

I am with Darth Tepes. I want to see the ancient Sith vs Jedi wars.

Who among us didn't love the first time in TPM when you saw dozens of Jedi light up their sabers and rush into battle with the droids? I have no disdain for the Skywalkers, or any of the characters. I love Star Wars, but it needs to move on to new stories and eras. The Mandalorian was awesome, it was all new people and a fresh new story.

Learning the origins of the Sith, the huge battles, all of that would be great. The EU (Legends) and even canon say nothing has changed much in the last 1000 years. Maybe even some other sects of dark force users. How long do Muun live? Would 200 years mean Plageous is the current Sith Lord?

The rule of two was needed and a good idea. But other sects of Dark Jedi may not have to adhere to it, and plenty happened before it was implemented.

There is no light side, there is no dark side. There is only the force. Jedi and Sith are two sides of the same coin. One paralyzed by fear of emotion, and one ruled and destroyed by it.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »

Learning the origins of the Sith, the huge battles, all of that would be great. The EU (Legends) and even canon say nothing has changed much in the last 1000 years. Maybe even some other sects of dark force users. How long do Muun live? Would 200 years mean Plageous is the current Sith Lord?

According to Wookieepedia, the Legends tab says that a Muun Average Lifespan is over 100 years. I'd say it's highly likely that Plagueis could be alive, though I don't think he would be very old.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: