Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Clone Wars 2003's Palpatine  (Read 2500 times)
GuyWithTheCrossguard
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -7

"Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to."

« on: February 27, 2020, 04:24:23 AM »

I just want to take a moment to discuss the interpretation of Palpatine in the 2D Clone Wars series from 2003. Although Nick Jameson is definitely not my favorite voice for the character, the way they wrote him for this series is unique and very underrated among fans, in my opinion. This is mainly because they did a phenomenal job at separating the "Chancellor" and "Sith Lord" personas that the Palpatine character contains. In order words, they actually try to hide the fact that Palpatine is Sidious, as opposed to other incarnations where it's made extremely obvious Palpatine is evil. The current Clone Wars series is the most prominent example of this (looking at you Tim Curry, although I do like his voice). Even with this series being post-ROTS when all audiences knew the truth and the writers had the freedom to show Palpatine working in the shadows, it wasn't really an excuse to make Palptine's good guy facade barely believable. Even Ian "The Senate" McDiarmid himself was more suspicious when being good guy Palpatine than Nick Jameson, and this was before the reveal in ROTS. Palpatine in Clone Wars 2003 actually made me forget that he was the evil mastermind behind everything on multiple occasions. Take this scene with General Grevious for example. When Grievous barges into Palpatine's office with the intent to kidnap him, his attempt to be defensive and intimidating towards the 4 armed cyborg Jedi killer was extremely laughable. He just comes off as this silly oblivious old man on the verge of senility, a performance shown throughout pretty much the whole series... and then I remember he could completely obliterate everyone and everything in that room if he wanted to: Grievous AND the 3 Jedi prepared to protect him... and it's actually shocking, even with the knowledge of Palpatine's true identity. It's insane when you realize this guy and the literal demon we saw in The Rise Of Skywalker are the same person.  Shocked

Sabers:
Flamberge SE with Obsidian V4 in Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 with Obsidian Lite, also in Guardian Blue

Notable Non-US Sabers:
Hasbro Signature Series Luke (ROTJ)
Disney Store Kylo Ren

Wish List:
A vintage Graflex. Seriously.
Savi's Workshop Saber
A Saber built by me from scratch, like a true Jedi.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 05:28:24 AM »

You make a good observation there, the senator persona was crucial to getting Palpatine where he is and makes a critical part of his character development in slowly dropping that after the declaration of Empire. That bumbling but genial facade was something i'd have also liked to see maintained much more.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 02:21:00 AM »

You make a good observation there, the senator persona was crucial to getting Palpatine where he is and makes a critical part of his character development in slowly dropping that after the declaration of Empire. That bumbling but genial facade was something i'd have also liked to see maintained much more.
Then if you haven't already pick up a copy of Darth Plagueis by James Luceno. IMO it's a must read for any fans of Darth Sidious, because it's true he's a master of deception. Living double and triple lives, it's no wonder he loses his mind inevitably. How can you pretend to be your polar opposite for decades without losing it at least slightly. It's like a mole from some terror cell groomed from birth to become president, all to get the launch codes; by the time you're sworn into office and ready to push that Order 66 button do you even know who you really are or whom you serve? The character is as unique as he is iconic.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 04:53:05 AM »

Hmmm yes the new Clone Wars Palpatine was really well done. I couldn't figure out his angle when he asked the scientist to clone the Zillo Beast. I was thinking. What is Sidious's angle. What is his game, what is he up to?

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »

Hmmm yes the new Clone Wars Palpatine was really well done. I couldn't figure out his angle when he asked the scientist to clone the Zillo Beast. I was thinking. What is Sidious's angle. What is his game, what is he up to?

Sorry, but I believe you are referring to the wrong Clone Wars series.  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5BtE52BS9Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5BtE52BS9Y</a>

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 10:18:33 AM »

I member seeing this. Chara design was... Peculiar.
And jedi were soooooooooooo overpowered... (Wind punching droids or sending a sand crawler fly off, IIRC).
But it was interesting nonetheless. Especially the grievous scenes were he expanded his lightsaber collection and the explanation beyond his coughing.

I still have to go through the new clone wars series. And Rebels. Too many things to see. So little time...

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 07:53:01 PM »

I dont think the Jedi were overpowered in this show. Plus they gave a good explanation for Windu's strength. He was using the Force.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish

Light Side Favored.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 09:34:00 PM »

I dont think the Jedi were overpowered in this show. Plus they gave a good explanation for Windu's strength. He was using the Force.
Of course he was. Still, punching holes in metal droids seems pretty OP to me. plus sending ships flying.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 09:41:51 PM »

Of course he was. Still, punching holes in metal droids seems pretty OP to me. plus sending ships flying.

Well the EU actually explained what we were seeing there..... Shatterpoint.   It was a force ability that took a ton of training and focus to use.  It allowed the user to see the "shatter Point" in any structure.  The Shatter point, when hit with a physical or Force blow would break almost all if not the entire structure.  Mace was the last Jedi to use it before Jacen Solo.  Jacen used it to kill an assassin squad of Mandalorians by shattering their Beskar armor making them vulnerable to saber strikes.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 09:52:02 PM »

Yeah, I think you meant OP like in terms of preestablished power scaling right? Like OP in comparison to historical records of the movies and other things for "standard ideas" of Force Push... I mean there is over the top, and more in keeping with traditional standards; at least that's my take on it. That even the most gifted and powerful Jedi seemingly had some interesting limits mid combat or until exhausting themselves. Sand crawlers are super big and heavy, just flinging them around like toys would be some seriously high echelon effort; that may in all likelihood leave the Force user rather drained. I kind of want to watch this a bit now for reference.

Shatterpoint by definition surely falls squarely into the OP category by most definitions, people often rule it's use out completely in RP and as a power because it fits the definition of overkill so squarely. But seeing it used, oh awesome for sure.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 10:05:30 PM »

Lets not forget the Force allows us to do things others would not be able to do. So I call punching through metal droids fair game.

Light Side Favored.

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 11:17:36 PM »

Yeah, I think you meant OP like in terms of preestablished power scaling right?

To be fair, I feel like every non-droid combatant in this series is OP (for the better).  If anything Grievous stands out the most in this regard, for curb-stomping teams of Jedi masters and padawans on two separate occasions, lol.

Perhaps unintentionally (or intentionally, given Tartakovsky's brilliant reputation), this sets up an even greater contrast between said characters and the series' deceptively air-headed Palpatine. 

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 11:30:43 PM »

Palpatine does seem rather airheaded in that show.

Light Side Favored.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 06:24:27 AM »

Well the EU actually explained what we were seeing there..... Shatterpoint.   It was a force ability that took a ton of training and focus to use.  It allowed the user to see the "shatter Point" in any structure.  The Shatter point, when hit with a physical or Force blow would break almost all if not the entire structure.  Mace was the last Jedi to use it before Jacen Solo.  Jacen used it to kill an assassin squad of Mandalorians by shattering their Beskar armor making them vulnerable to saber strikes.
I'm meh convinced by this kind of stuff. And it's also this kind of stuff that made me hate the force unleashed game. (yup, didn't even try the second one). That and the terrible console to pc port.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 09:59:07 PM »

Force Unleashed sounds interesting to me.

Light Side Favored.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: