Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: The Jedi may have asked for it....  (Read 8238 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 01:57:17 AM »

Oh yes, that was some really good stuff.

And more evidence that Mace might very well be the most arrogant Jedi. In AOTC at the Petranaki Arena when Dooku calmly informs him that he's hopelessly outnumbered, Mace's response of "I don't think so" just reeks of arrogance. We kind of brush it off because it's just Samuel L being awesome, but really thinking of the character they were hopelessly outnumbered at first and dozens of Jedi paid the price for it. There's so much in the Prequels that Lucas worked in, it's just subtle.

Right.  He had the drop on them....On COUNT FREAKING DOOKU!! and all he did was put his saber to Jango's throat. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »

Yea, Sam will always be the BMF......  But Windu just never gave Anakin an inch.  The rest of the council came to accept or at least tolerate Anakin's presence as a Jedi.  Windu...just never let it go.  He always spoke to and about Anakin as if he didn't belong.  You have to wonder...what if Windu had brought Anakin with him to arrest Palpatine instead of effectively sending him to his room or at most sent him to contact Yoda.  Anakin may not have had time to stew in his doubts.
Perhaps Windu sensed something that everyone else didn't/couldn't. I always liked the notion that Windu had a more....intimate understanding of the Dark Side than your typical Jedi. Maybe he was picking up on the subtle pulls to the dark.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 08:38:00 PM »

Perhaps Windu sensed something that everyone else didn't/couldn't. I always liked the notion that Windu had a more....intimate understanding of the Dark Side than your typical Jedi. Maybe he was picking up on the subtle pulls to the dark.

Which would, IMO, even further illustrate their inexperience and lack of understanding about emotional states.  Ok Anakin had darker tendencies..... but by treating him with constant suspicion and disdain...that just pushed him further to the dark. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 08:42:38 PM »

Which would, IMO, even further illustrate their inexperience and lack of understanding about emotional states.  Ok Anakin had darker tendencies..... but by treating him with constant suspicion and disdain...that just pushed him further to the dark. 
It actually did something particularly profound: It showed that after all is said and done...the Jedi are people; fallible, biased, and pety.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -8

Balance Should be Key over control

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 07:18:15 PM »

It actually did something particularly profound: It showed that after all is said and done...the Jedi are people; fallible, biased, and pety.
And this is why although many sith are viewed as evil...their mantra actually makes more sense because its about emotion and using your emotions rather than blocking them out and ignoring your feelings, which, IRL is a pathway to depression and trama

"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it" -Darth Bane

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 11:25:52 PM »

And this is why although many sith are viewed as evil...their mantra actually makes more sense because its about emotion and using your emotions rather than blocking them out and ignoring your feelings, which, IRL is a pathway to depression and trama

Everyone always says "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely"   I don't believe this is a constant.....history is full of Rulers who did not fall to corruption...they just aren't as fun to read about Tongue      But the saying should be "Power attracts the easily corruptible."....and that is the Sith to a tee.  Especially after the Rule of Two.

Exactly.  So how did Luke respond to this?   Well lets see...In the Old Canon he struggled with how to best not make the same mistakes as the old order.  Found a way to balance Love and Attachment with the Jedi code and in the end made the Jedi stronger than they may have ever been.    But in Disney Canon...... "The Jedi must End..."    Undecided   (I'll finds anyway to beat that dead horse)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »

It's ironic, but the Sith are actually more in touch with their feelings. Roll Eyes I always hated that exchange with Maul in the Mando throne room, Obi Wan says that the weak give in to the Dark Side. IMO, the weak hide from their emotions because they are too difficult to deal with. That is why there are those who turn to drugs and drinking to subdue what they feel. Do the Sith always get it right? No, but at least for the most part they are honest, even if they are only honest with themselves.

Everyone always says "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely"   I don't believe this is a constant.....history is full of Rulers who did not fall to corruption...they just aren't as fun to read about Tongue      But the saying should be "Power attracts the easily corruptible."....and that is the Sith to a tee.  Especially after the Rule of Two.
But that still falls under the faulty logic that ONLY the corrupt seek power. And that wasn't necessarily true. Zannah was devoted not corrupt. Bane was more like a tough loving older brother to her, and she was loyal to him. She dragged her feet to find an apprentice until she was sure that she had EVERYTHING Bane had to teach. But Bane grew impatient and forced her hand. She only fulfilled the Rule of Two to honor her master's wishes.

But in Disney Canon...... "The Jedi must End..."    Undecided   (I'll finds anyway to beat that dead horse)
Which one? The Disney Canon sucks dead horse ass? Tongue Cuz I'll never let that die.

Sig by For Tyeth

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 06:39:57 PM »

Which one? The Disney Canon sucks dead horse ass? Tongue Cuz I'll never let that die.
So true...the Jedi must end...now Rey...Go and restore the Jedi even though you have never even really earned your power you just got a crash course of the force and everything else was handed to you

"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it" -Darth Bane

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 12:28:41 AM »

But that still falls under the faulty logic that ONLY the corrupt seek power.

Didn't say that....power does attract the easily corruptible.  This by no means everyone who seeks or has power is easily corruptible.   If I had said "Those who seek power are easily corruptible."  That would be faulty logic.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »

Didn't say that....power does attract the easily corruptible.  This by no means everyone who seeks or has power is easily corruptible.   If I had said "Those who seek power are easily corruptible."  That would be faulty logic.
True. But at the same time the original saying stands firm due to that very logic. It's more in the sense that the word "can" (and the subsequent conjugation of verbs) was left out, which would have made a more encompassing statement:

Power can corrupt, and absolute power can corrupt absolutely.

However, it loses its momentum as a warning when you take away the certainty the original wording suggests. And adding a line about being vigilant just muddles things.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 02:31:09 PM »

True. But at the same time the original saying stands firm due to that very logic. It's more in the sense that the word "can" (and the subsequent conjugation of verbs) was left out, which would have made a more encompassing statement:

Power can corrupt, and absolute power can corrupt absolutely.

However, it loses its momentum as a warning when you take away the certainty the original wording suggests. And adding a line about being vigilant just muddles things.

Difference of perception then, "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely" is an....absolute statement.  It leaves no wiggle room.  It declares those in Power will...not might....be corrupted by it.    Going by the original wording it isn't a warning but a statement of fact.    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men..." John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton in a letter to an Anglican Bishop.  True he said "Almost always" but from what I remember about him he had a disdain for anyone in power no matter what.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 04:37:49 PM »

Difference of perception then, "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely" is an....absolute statement.  It leaves no wiggle room.  It declares those in Power will...not might....be corrupted by it.    Going by the original wording it isn't a warning but a statement of fact.    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men..." John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton in a letter to an Anglican Bishop.  True he said "Almost always" but from what I remember about him he had a disdain for anyone in power no matter what.
I meant a moral warning. But there is also a difference between power and "authority"....I think. Undecided But on the flip side, is there such a thing as absolute power?

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 05:55:30 PM »

I meant a moral warning. But there is also a difference between power and "authority"....I think. Undecided But on the flip side, is there such a thing as absolute power?

Yes....maybe not as much now but at one time.  Emperors, Dictators and Pope's had absolute power until they didn't. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »

Yes....maybe not as much now but at one time.  Emperors, Dictators and Pope's had absolute power until they didn't. 
I could say something, but it will only break RULES.

On the other side though, all those examples only had power because people believed they had it. Case in point: when the people decided that the Tzar no longer had authority in their lives, he lost all his power. Similarly, the people stopped believing that the Jedi were the ultimate good in the galaxy, and allowed the Empire to label them as villains. So when Palps declared them enemies of the state, people were happy.

Sig by For Tyeth

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2020, 06:28:32 PM »

I could say something, but it will only break RULES.

On the other side though, all those examples only had power because people believed they had it. Case in point: when the people decided that the Tzar no longer had authority in their lives, he lost all his power. Similarly, the people stopped believing that the Jedi were the ultimate good in the galaxy, and allowed the Empire to label them as villains. So when Palps declared them enemies of the state, people were happy.
Yeah, Old Shevie created an idea that the jedi were trying to take over, and since he seemed a nice guy people believed him, and the jedi did nothing to prove him wrong when they had the chance.  Also if you read the ROTS novel, his trick with the tape was pretty clever, but also showed that the jedi just went in and were like "you're under arrest" with no proof they could give the senate.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: