Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Choreo/Real training techniques  (Read 1520 times)
DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -8

Balance Should be Key over control

« on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:00 PM »

Fellow Duelists/Choreographers

Recently, my apprentice and I have come up with (I hesitate to say invented because I am sure this has been done before) a form of training that can be effective in both choreograph skills and sparring.  In essence, the drill is simple:

Decide at the beginning who strikes first.
You and your partner stand in ready positions. 
Whomever it is will take one step forward and attack once (anywhere), as the other takes a step back to defend. 
Then the person who was just on the defensive will immediately (no reset) take one step forward and attack once as the first person takes a step back and defends. 
Then repeat with the first person (no reset)
Continue this pattern 10 times.
Once you get to the tenth time, begin doing two strikes per, rather than one, as the other person will now defend twice before attacking twice themselves.
Again repeat this ten times.
Continue to progress going to 3 strikes per for ten times, then 4 strikes per for ten times, and so on, until you are at 10 strikes per person.
Once you are at this stage, begin progressing down, going to 9 strikes per (10x...as always), to 8 strikes per, all the way back down to one

Hopefully once you are at the end, you are faster and more fluid with both your strikes and blocks....however here is the catch.  If at any point you hit your partner, or your partner hits you, you have to start from the beginning.  And trust me, it will happen.

This practice allows you to be more comfortable with your partner and develop trust that you will be able to block their attacks if they miss a beat of choreography, and it also helps you progress to actual lightsaber duels that are way cooler looking and are more than the playground flailing that many beginners do.

Best of luck, I encourage you to leave comments and if you choose to use this method, I encourage filming it for record, and I wouldn't mind seeing it!

MTFBWYA!

(some of you may recognize elements from the game ninja when reading this, thats partially where the idea sprang)

"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it" -Darth Bane

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:17:43 AM »

This is very common in Martial Arts drills. This is essentially workshopping. I call these “ A/B “ drills. Great for many, many reasons. One piece of advice. Do not get in the habit of stepping straight back. Angle or circle with some sort of footwork. If you get used to going  straight back bad habits could form as well as you run out of room with the habit of retreating. Other than that sounds good to me. Just my two cents. We call this shading in FMA.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 12:27:34 AM »

This is very common in Martial Arts drills. This is essentially workshopping. I call these “ A/B “ drills. Great for many, many reasons. One piece of advice. Do not get in the habit of stepping straight back. Angle or circle with some sort of footwork. If you get used to going  straight back bad habits could form as well as you run out of room with the habit of retreating. Other than that sounds good to me. Just my two cents. We call this shading in FMA.
Awesome! Thanks for the tip, I totally agree! I just happen to always do this in a very open field and that hadn't occurred to me but it does now!

"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it" -Darth Bane

finlayfox
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -36

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 12:44:22 AM »

go to the youtube and look up stage combat tutorials. You always record the defender's move, and you attack a very specific position(the videos will go into much more detail). It can sometimes limit what moves you execute, however you decrease the chance of injury.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Teddy Roosevelt

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:50:27 AM »

A little different but still similar:
http://www.lsabers.com/velocities.html

Point for you, DR!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:50:43 AM »

go to the youtube and look up stage combat tutorials. You always record the defender's move, and you attack a very specific position(the videos will go into much more detail). It can sometimes limit what moves you execute, however you decrease the chance of injury.
Oh I definitely know! I am actually trained in stage combat, admittedly this exercise is more for actual dueling, but if you stick to the six zones its effective for choreo

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:52:22 AM »

A little different but still similar:
http://www.lsabers.com/velocities.html

Point for you, DR!

Thank you for the point, and this was partially based of the jedi velocities I read about a year ago! Thanks!

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 08:16:57 AM »

Like! Grin

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: