Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: EMPTY HAND??  (Read 1215 times)
Robyn_Goodfellow
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 155

« on: March 13, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »

Hi,

What do you guys do with your spare/empty hand when spinning??
I feel like it just gets in the way...

I filmed my practice this morning  - any advice greatly appreciated xXx

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&amp;v=4dGrA_xwFPA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&amp;v=4dGrA_xwFPA</a>

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »

Nice spinning! You're making progress!

Love the question, had to think about the awnser.
In spinning I usually have my empty hand on the back. Sometimes in front or my sternum, and on a very few occasions on my stomach.
I think I might advice to leave it where it feel comfortable and not much in the way. So in my case, on the back or in front of the sternum.

In duelling etc. your empty hand does have a function most of the time. At least, that's what I've been taught and then the placing of the empty hand does get very important. But that's a whole other discussion waiting for a next time.

Points for the question and making me think about it.

Update:
Took a quick look through a few of my own video's I do seem to let the empty hand just hang beside my body as well....

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

finlayfox
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -36

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »

I had made a reply but I'm not seeing it so I shall say it again
1 - learning some small tosses for hand transfers is a really fun thing to do.
2- that saber you have is definitely a 2-hander, and as such, I recommend looking at the German longsword forms put together by HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts or somesuch) for poses to at least start at and end up at.
3 - main option if dueling is to keep the hand tucked/out of the way - you have a few options for this - first is tucked in front and out of the way of your swinging sword. Another is to keep your arm behind you and dangle the arm, put it on your hip, or pull an Errol Flynn and just have you hand behind and above your head.
4 -Another option is to put a small shield(or even a shorter blade) in your off hand and learn how to use it both for dueling and flow purposes.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Teddy Roosevelt

Robyn_Goodfellow
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »

Nice spinning! You're making progress!

Love the question, had to think about the awnser.
In spinning I usually have my empty hand on the back. Sometimes in front or my sternum, and on a very few occasions on my stomach.
I think I might advice to leave it where it feel comfortable and not much in the way. So in my case, on the back or in front of the sternum.

In duelling etc. your empty hand does have a function most of the time. At least, that's what I've been taught and then the placing of the empty hand does get very important. But that's a whole other discussion waiting for a next time.

Points for the question and making me think about it.

Update:
Took a quick look through a few of my own video's I do seem to let the empty hand just hang beside my body as well....

I need to place it anywhere but where I知 resting it currently.. I was horrified when I watched the video back and it looks like I知 holding my right boob!

I知 going to practice with my empty hand in different positions and hopefully find something comfortable that also doesn稚 look like I知 groping myself  Shocked

Lol I知 so embarrassed

Robyn_Goodfellow
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:53:14 PM »

I had made a reply but I'm not seeing it so I shall say it again
1 - learning some small tosses for hand transfers is a really fun thing to do.
2- that saber you have is definitely a 2-hander, and as such, I recommend looking at the German longsword forms put together by HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts or somesuch) for poses to at least start at and end up at.
3 - main option if dueling is to keep the hand tucked/out of the way - you have a few options for this - first is tucked in front and out of the way of your swinging sword. Another is to keep your arm behind you and dangle the arm, put it on your hip, or pull an Errol Flynn and just have you hand behind and above your head.
4 -Another option is to put a small shield(or even a shorter blade) in your off hand and learn how to use it both for dueling and flow purposes.

Great suggestions - Thank you

I really want to toss my saber and catch it. I知 just very nervous about dropping it.
I知 planning on making a similar size saber from pipe and weight it with a bit of lead so I can practice with that as I am exceptionally clumsy and will no doubt drop it often.

Also I致e just signed up to our local KDF (Kunst Des Fechtens) group to practice longsword fighting  Grin

Once again - thanks xXx

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »

From a simple view, it should look like you are fighting or dancing.

What would your free hand be doing in either case? A later question is what should your feet be doing...

it's not flopping around, that's good.

The simple things to do with your hand:
put it on your hip
raised over your head like erol flynn (fencing style)
across your chest, hand over sternum, palm flat, fingers vertical in a guard position

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: