Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Aeon/Dominix V3 vs Initiate V3 (with extension) - which is more comfortable?  (Read 1966 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: March 18, 2020, 04:23:18 AM »

OK, this came up in another thread not to long ago in passing but I was shuffling some of my hilts around the other day and I noticed something very odd:   My (modified) Dominix V3 and my (modified) Initiate V3 are THE SAME LENGTH!

The stats on the sabers and their very modest modifications are as follows:

1) Dominix V3, SY, lit AV switch, MHS Scorpion pommel.
    2) Initiate V3, BVA, non-lit AV switch, painted, with an adjustable flush coupler, adapter, and Dark War Glaive pommel

I had laid them on the table next to each other and I noticed that the hilts are the same length.  Like within a quarter-inch.   This surprised me, because I didn't do it on purpose.  LOL   I originally added a Dark Catalyst pommel to my Dominix V3 and the Scorpion pommel graced my Dark Catalyst, but when my wife took over the Dark Cat, she requested that I return the stock pommel to it, so I put the Scorpion pommel on the Dominix.   And it works pretty well.

As for the Initiate...   It was bought as part of a pair, one VA, one DVA, and continues to be the primary component in the staff.  The pair function in two-handed mode with both hilts sporting War Glaive pommels, with this one having the adapter so I can leave the coupler in-place.  And the longer hilt supports a 36" blade exceptionally well while the shorter hilt balances the 32" blade nicely for off-hand/reverse grip work.   Its not exactly a shoto, but it serves.   And when in staff mode I use two 32" blades.

The two have also evolved in different places, as the Initiate until very recently graced my office on display while the Dominix was at home.   But I rotated my saber hilts not to long ago and they ended up together.   And they were the same length.

My first reaction was "of course".   I mean, I have pretty defined likes and dislikes in a hilt, and the size is one of them.   I added an extension to my Fallen to make it longer, because I wanted it to fit a certain visual aesthetic, and that hilt is a BEAST.  So no surprise that similar hilts would end up similar lengths.

But then I noticed the differences, and that led me to pick them up and compare them side-by-side for the first time, and honestly I was surprised.

Here's a picture of them, next to each other:

Now, what I noticed, after the length, was the choke points and especially the bulge BETWEEN the choke points.   That bulge, where the switch is located, is what naturally goes into the palm of my hand when I grip these hilts.  The circle of my grip is generally on the forward choke, with that bulb in the palm, forming a very natural grip for me.   But on the Initiate, that forward choke is quite a bit closer to the blade.

While both sabers handle well for me, that location of the pivot further forward on the Initiate makes that hilt, with a 36" standard blade, just float in my hand.  It moves effortlessly and smoothly in a way no other saber I own does.   The Aeon V4 is close, utilizing the forward choke, but even its not quite as smooth.  Only my Fallen matches it for effortless motion, and that saber has a couple of other slight issues that make their own dent in it's performance as a spinner and dueler.

So, finally, I have my answer on which blade is my absolute favorite.    Who'd a thunk it?   :-)

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone considering these two hilts.  And please note, these are extended and have swapped pommels, so a stock Initiate will NOT perform the same.   Though even a stock initiate with a 32" or 24" blade works pretty well.   :-)

And a parting "beauty shot", because it turned out so nice.   :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »

Great indepth explanation thank you.
And that Scorpion pommel looks great on that Dominix! Great idea.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 01:08:01 AM »

Detailed explanation, good old initiate sometimes simplest are the best.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »

Thank you for this, Karmack. This explains everything that people have been asking and gives me a history of both sabers. Because of you, I'm inspired to do something similar to see what I'll like so I have ordered extensions from TCSS a week ago to try them out myself. I like how you turn the Initiate V3 to it's own full size saber. 

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:12:43 PM »

Anxious to see what you're up to Infinite. Please do share  Grin

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »

Anxious to see what you're up to Infinite. Please do share  Grin

Will do!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »

Definitely!   Which extension did you order?   :-)

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »

I got a few of blade holder 28, blank style 3, and a few others (surprise)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »

I got a few of blade holder 28, blank style 3, and a few others (surprise)

Oh, TEASE!   Fine, just post some pictures!  ;-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: