Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Prophecy/Dark Prophecy Owners...need your advice.  (Read 2938 times)
Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« on: March 24, 2020, 08:23:14 PM »

So I know I said I was just about done with the wishlist.  However, I have the opportunity to get a Dark Prophecy v3 saber. It has sound (v4), BR, no FOC and red illuminated black av switch.  All at a very fair price. I've heard it's a smaller saber and I tend to prefer larger ones. This would take the place of the Dark Graflex I was thinking about. I've also heard it's really comfortable, but the info has come from those with smaller hands.  I'm kind of a big guy, I have larger hands. (ring size 12) Any big folks out there who own this saber? What do you think of it? Any and all advice is welcome.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

N9neRhymes
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »

The Dark Prophecy was my very first saber purchase. It’s actually the only saber I  own while I wait for my current order to ship. It’s definitely smaller and thinner than I expected it to be. I don’t have large hands, but I definitely feel it is better suited as a one-handed saber. Mainly because the covertec wheel machined in to the hilt gets in the way of a comfortable two handed grip. If that was removed, and you had a pommel that added a bit of extra length such as the Scorpion or Guardian (Gives it a more Sith appearance) you could probably get away with two hands because there are no other obstructions on the hilt.

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:04:32 AM »

I have fairly big hands (apparently at the low end of acceptable for NFL quarterbacks if I heard this year's Combine chatter correctly) and I love the feel of my Prophecy.  It's super comfortable, fast as heck and a superb spinner.  It is likely better suited for one handed use, but you can squeeze two hands on without much trouble.  I have an Emperor's Hand pommel on my Dark Prophecy and I can still use a two handed grip with my top hand at the upper choke point. 

Compared to the Graflex the Prophecy is about the same length but the diameter is much smaller which I think contributes most to the comfort.  The Graflex is pretty darn useable for a canon saber, but the doodads can get in the way and the grips are not comfortable at all.  As I said, they're about the same length so the two handed issues would be pretty much identical.

I think you'd enjoy the Dark Prophecy, but it's admittedly among my favorite hilts so I'm a bit biased.  It's light and slim with a nice choke point which in my opinion is hard to beat.  That said, a Dark Graflex to go along with my standard version is on my maybe pile too, so you can't go wrong.  Smiley  Good luck with your decision!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:38:58 AM »

I'm in the L-XL for glove size, and IMHO the Prophecy is a total win. The hills and valleys in the hilt body make for a fantastic grip, and is a nice change in pace from a 1.5"+ OD hilts that us bigger guys are used too. I always felt comfortable and in control while wielding a Prophecy, and it will be infinitely more useful in hand compared to a Graflex. It's worth picking up for sure. Here's my review if you feel like checking it out.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAe0977drEw&amp;t=16s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAe0977drEw&amp;t=16s</a>

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:40:49 AM »

I also wouldn't mind a Dark Prophecy at some point myself but not sure which blade color would go good with the saber, not the usual Sith red though for a change Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 02:47:14 AM »

hazard502, that video was very helpful. Appreciate your input.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 02:59:37 AM »

You're most welcome.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 03:00:31 AM »

I've got fairly large hands as well, and the Dark Prophecy fits well in my hand.
Feels good swinging it

N9neRhymes
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 03:14:30 AM »

I also wouldn't mind a Dark Prophecy at some point myself but not sure which blade color would go good with the saber, not the usual Sith red though for a change Tongue

I’m rocking SRD on mine. I absolutely love it

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »

Thanks for sharing. Love the review, thanks for getting into handling instead of the usual 'this-is-how-it-looks'-talk.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 02:32:33 PM »

So I know I said I was just about done with the wishlist.  However, I have the opportunity to get a Dark Prophecy v3 saber. It has sound (v4), BR, no FOC and red illuminated black av switch.  All at a very fair price. I've heard it's a smaller saber and I tend to prefer larger ones. This would take the place of the Dark Graflex I was thinking about. I've also heard it's really comfortable, but the info has come from those with smaller hands.  I'm kind of a big guy, I have larger hands. (ring size 12) Any big folks out there who own this saber? What do you think of it? Any and all advice is welcome.
I have to admit, for a V3, it is a very nice saber. It's light, and economic with material. Despite its simplicity, it still has style. (Could have MORE if they ever brought back the LE. Angry)

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:48:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Love the review, thanks for getting into handling instead of the usual 'this-is-how-it-looks'-talk.

Really appreciate the feedback, thank you.

I have to admit, for a V3, it is a very nice saber. It's light, and economic with material. Despite its simplicity, it still has style. (Could have MORE if they ever brought back the LE. Angry)

An LE version would be bonkers  Shocked

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 01:49:15 PM »

An LE version would be bonkers  Shocked

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »

The Dark Prophecy was my very first saber purchase. It’s actually the only saber I  own while I wait for my current order to ship. It’s definitely smaller and thinner than I expected it to be. I don’t have large hands, but I definitely feel it is better suited as a one-handed saber. Mainly because the covertec wheel machined in to the hilt gets in the way of a comfortable two handed grip. If that was removed, and you had a pommel that added a bit of extra length such as the Scorpion or Guardian (Gives it a more Sith appearance) you could probably get away with two hands because there are no other obstructions on the hilt.

N9neRhymes,  just FYI, you can remove the covertec wheel by taking out the knurled screw holding it on.  That should just leave a small hole, which you can fill with a button-top screw from the hardware store.  Thread size should be 8/32.  IN case you have the urge.   :-)

I don't own one of these, but a friend has one and it handles beautifully.   Smooth, well balanced with a 32" blade, and the choke-point lends it a very secure feel when doing spins and flourishes.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »

I vote for both versions but I like that second one

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up