Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What length blade should I get?  (Read 1354 times)
snowboardcat21
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 26, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »

Hi, my height is 5'1" and I'm worried that I might get a blade that is too long for my height. Could someone help me with this?

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:13 PM »

My daughter is about your height and she is perfectly comfortable with both 32" and 36" blades, though she prefers the 32" blades for both dueling and spinning.  At your height, 32" should be nearly perfect.

If I may ask, what hilt are you planning to purchase?  Some of them have deeper blade pockets and a 36" is more practical in them even for people of lesser stature.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 01:21:45 AM »

My daughter is 5'2" and tends to prefer 30 to 32 for spinning but 36 for fighting. It does make a difference how far they insert into the hilt but we always cut our own to specs we want anyway.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 02:22:31 AM »

At your height, I'd likely stay aroun 28" to 32"
I'm 5' 11" and a 36" seems almost too long

Roux
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:00:44 AM »

Most of mine are 36" but i think i prefer the 32". I am 5'4". I feel fine with both though. If you do a staff you will want no longer than 32" blades though

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »

IMHO it all depends on what you're planning to do with your saber.
For spinning I'll advice a shorter blade, makes it easier to spin and you don't have to worrie that much about hitting the floor, wich in turn let's you relax your shoulders a bit more. And I think the 32" blades balance out the sabers a bit better for spinning.
For duelling a few extra inch can make the difference between scoring a point (or kill someone).

I'm 6'7"(or Cool, and I use the 32" blades for spinning and the 36" for sparring and form-practice.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:48:07 PM »

I'm 5'10" and given the choice between 32" and 36", I'll pick the 32 every time.
Not only is it a "safer" length that you can more easily control but it also puts the reflector in the blade tip closer to the light source, thus you get a brighter blade.

Another thing I am realizing is the weight, especially for Heavy grade, is too far out with a 36", so even for spinning/dueling I'd rather go with the 32, maybe even 30".

For anyone shorter than me, especially several inches shorter, I don't think there is even a good reason to have longer than 32"
Unless the longer reach outweighs all those negatives

-

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 02:13:43 AM »

I think something like a 30" would be good. I'm 5'7" and use 24" only because I switch on the fly between staff and dual wield. If I'm going single saber than 32."

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:32:53 AM »

I’m 5’8” and I have switched over completely to heavy grade blades and due to the extra weight anything over 32” throws off the balance of my sabers.  Since most people I have ever dueled with are my kids and none of them are more than 5’1” I have no point of reference with someone with a longer reach so 36” blades are unnecessary.  If I really wanted a longer reach then I just use my Arbiter/Yari pike with a 30” blade and I’m good for distance. 

I suggest buying extra blades and cut some down in 2”-4” increments until you find the size you like.

MTFBWY
KDP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

I'm 5'10 and prefer the 30 to 32" blades. I'll typically take a 32 and cut off two inches from it so that I can spin comfortably.  For cosplay, 32" works for me. The wife is 5'4 and she's comfortable around the 28"

Atanvarno
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 21

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 03:07:04 PM »

I'm almost 6" I think, 182 cm. exactly and I'm confortable with a 36'' blade. I have to be a little careful on some of the spins, but in time you will get used with the length.
At your height I believe a 30" is ok.  It depends on how long are your hands, not just the height.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: