Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First time weathering a hilt  (Read 1974 times)
AutisticJedi
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 3

« on: March 29, 2020, 05:23:48 AM »

New saber customizer here. I've just ordered an Ultrasabers Catalyst. I'm going to do a leather wrap on the grooved section, that much I know. But I want to weather the rest of the saber. I'm going back and forth between using black shoe polish and black paint. I'd prefer not to use spray paint but I will if I must. Shoe polish seems easier. I know the process usually involves applying paint (or shoe polish) and wiping it off until the desired effect is achieved. but I have more questions:

1. Before painting, can I get by with just sanding it or do I HAVE to do something else as well?

2. If I use the shoe polish, do I have to use clear coat to keep it from rubbing off?

3. Whether painting or using polish, do I apply the clear coat before painting/polishing, after, or both?

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 11:05:58 AM »

New saber customizer here. I've just ordered an Ultrasabers Catalyst. I'm going to do a leather wrap on the grooved section, that much I know. But I want to weather the rest of the saber. I'm going back and forth between using black shoe polish and black paint. I'd prefer not to use spray paint but I will if I must. Shoe polish seems easier. I know the process usually involves applying paint (or shoe polish) and wiping it off until the desired effect is achieved. but I have more questions:

1. Before painting, can I get by with just sanding it or do I HAVE to do something else as well?

2. If I use the shoe polish, do I have to use clear coat to keep it from rubbing off?

3. Whether painting or using polish, do I apply the clear coat before painting/polishing, after, or both?

First of all, you are taking your first steps into a much larger universe! congrats!

1) sand first. This creates a better surface for the paint to adhere to

2) I suggest paint over polish (never tried the polish though…interesting idea)

3) whatever you use, clear coat is last to seal everything in.

I have a link to my saber builds below. Check them out and let me know what you think.

bravery point

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14:26 PM »

If you have a dark hilt or a silver and black hilt, you can definitely start with sandpaper to start weathering.  Since the hilt is aluminum, we typically use Aluminum black paint that is made to adhere to the metal better. I haven't heard about nail polish but you can always test it by trying it on a small spot on the saber.

AutisticJedi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »

If you have a dark hilt or a silver and black hilt, you can definitely start with sandpaper to start weathering.  Since the hilt is aluminum, we typically use Aluminum black paint that is made to adhere to the metal better. I haven't heard about nail polish but you can always test it by trying it on a small spot on the saber.

I've been told that aluminum black is a corrosive liquid and that it needs to be rinsed after painting. is this true as well?

AutisticJedi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »

First of all, you are taking your first steps into a much larger universe! congrats!

1) sand first. This creates a better surface for the paint to adhere to

2) I suggest paint over polish (never tried the polish though…interesting idea)

3) whatever you use, clear coat is last to seal everything in.

I have a link to my saber builds below. Check them out and let me know what you think.

bravery point

The dominix looks amazing. what kind of paint did you use?

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 08:26:07 PM »

I've been told that aluminum black is a corrosive liquid and that it needs to be rinsed after painting. is this true as well?

I never had to

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 02:27:44 AM »

The dominix looks amazing. what kind of paint did you use?

both are dominix hilts. One is a v2 the other is v3. On the v3, I used a spray can of hammered steel (i think…iit's been a minute). I dry brushed it a bit too.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:52:14 PM »

This is correct.  It's not a paint at all, it's a chemical reaction that causes the upper payers of the material to change, creating a patina layer.  And yes, you must neutralize the solution once it has gotten to the level that you want.  This is the route that I plan to go, which means I'm going to have to disassemble the saber to remove the electronics prior to applying.  The great thing about it is that it is a gradual darkening, so you can really adjust it to get exactly the look you want.  Also, it's MUCH more durable.

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: