Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dim saber and it isn't the batteries  (Read 1398 times)
Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« on: March 30, 2020, 08:04:08 PM »

I have a stunt saber with Li-Ion and a buck puck.  A week ago it looked great.  A few days ago I had it on for quite a while (about 45-minutes straight).  I was making some videos for my band students and had it on in the background.  When I went to turn it off it was noticeably dimmer.  I thought buck pucks wouldn't dim as the battery died.  I also noticed it was hot to the touch.  I turned it off with the expectation of letting it cool, change the batteries and see if everything went back to normal.  It didn't.  Today it is still dim.  I have tried all of the Li-Ion batteries I have and it is still dim.  The batteries are fully charged (according to the charger and the fact that they illuminate the other sabers just fine).  My only guess is that the LEDs are burning out or that the buck puck is going bad?  Here are some pics from last week and today (same camera, same lighting conditions).  It looks even dimmer in person.  Any thoughts as to my problem?

Last Week - Full Brightness

Today - Dimmer

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:03:58 AM »

LEDs do dim with time and use. Heat causes them to do it faster. There are variations in LEDs when they are made that can make it happen faster. The buck puck runs the LEDs US uses at near their maximum capacity. You may have gotten one that was susceptible to damage at that level. Contact US about warranty service. It sounds like an indication of a defect in the LED.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 10:59:36 AM »

What firehand said, contact US for repairs

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »

Well, it's not the LED.  I had an epiphany in the shower.  All of my sabers have quick connects.  So, I took the LED from the dim saber and put it in every single one of my other sabers.  The LED was suddenly full brightness.  When I did that I also took the LED from that test saber and put in on the dim saber.  That LED was suddenly significantly dimmer.  So, it must be a bad buck puck.  I can't think of any other issue it could be.  I didn't know buck pucks could go bad or cause the LED to dim.  I will probably just replace it myself as US is backlogged still from all the other orders and who knows when I would get it back.  Plus, I replaced the battery holder sometime ago so I've voided the warranty. 

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »

UPDATE:

I ordered a new buck puck from Amazon the exact same one on the US website, but not the same one that was in the hilt. The new one is nice good sized block.  The old one was just a circuit board.  I removed the old buck puck (old on the left, new on the right)...

Wired the new one to the battery holder...
Ready to solder...

Positive Soldered...

Negative Soldered...

Wires Individually Wrapped...

Wires Over Wrapped (On power wires I always shrink wrap them twice)...

Positive LED Wire Soldered (I did snip off there wire sticking up)...

Negative LED Wire Soldered (not my best/cleanest solder)...

LED Wires Wrapped...

Dorinian With New Buck Puck Installed - FULL ILLUMINATION IS BACK!!!...

Oh, and I changed the "power supply" today.  Instead of the 14500 batteries I am now using a 7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack from TCSS.  It fits nicely in the hit (it is a little looser but I use a velcro strap to keep it and the wires in place.  I did have to rewire a new connection to it and the charger (also from TCSS).  It works great I will probably make this modification on my other Li-Ion stunts (won't do it to the ones with sound since the soundboard is attached to the battery holder, though I might see if I can figure out a solution for that)...

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:

Wife’s:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: