Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Standard-Setup with 2xAA?  (Read 2164 times)
Purzelkater
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« on: April 24, 2020, 05:18:15 PM »

Hi,

today I got my first US sabers with 3 of them are stunt sabers with standard setup. Well, all I have seen so far, US has only two option: Standard-Setup with 4x AAA batteries or LiIO-Setup with 2x 14500.
But all of my stunt sabers came with 2x AA batteries (no akkus).

Have they changed their standard-setup? And how can they use 2x AA (2x 1,5V) instead of 4x AAA (4x 1,5V) now?

Kind regards
from Purzelkater

The Fallen: Diamond RGBW, White Illuminated Black AV Switch, 36"
Spectre with Engraving: Obsidian V4, BVA / FoC MLS, 36"
The Butcher Staff: TA Silver + Color Discs + Quick Release Coupler, 2x32"
Aeon LE V5: Stunt, GB, 36"
Dark Initiate V5: Stunt, BR, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 24"
Initiate V4: Stunt, BR, Windows,, 24"
The Dominix V2: Stunt, CG, 32"
Initiate V2: Stunt, GB, 24"

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »

Hi,

today I got my first US sabers with 3 of them are stunt sabers with standard setup. Well, all I have seen so far, US has only two option: Standard-Setup with 4x AAA batteries or LiIO-Setup with 2x 14500.
But all of my stunt sabers came with 2x AA batteries (no akkus).

Have they changed their standard-setup? And how can they use 2x AA (2x 1,5V) instead of 4x AAA (4x 1,5V) now?

Kind regards
from Purzelkater

We've seen a few of these, mainly during the huge rush at the beginning of the year, and the general consensus is that US was not able to obtain enough of the 4xAAA packs to fulfill all orders and so built some with 2xAA packs.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 06:07:51 PM »

The stunts I just received are a mix of the 4 AAA and the 2 AA.  Depending the LED setup, 2 AA batteries is sufficient to power a stunt saber.  I'm not sure why US is changing up the power source for stunts.  Maybe there is a shortage of AAA battery holders.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »

As stated the change was probably caused by AAA holder shortage. The use of AAAs is most likely just a hold over from the days of V2s when the AA was to wide to fit. Using AAA also kept back confusion between AA cells and 14500 Li-Ion cells. 
All of the LEDs US uses run at 3 volts or less so it's just a matter of wiring them correctly to get the multi colored LEDs to light. They will still need resistors,  just not as high rated ones, to run safely.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Purzelkater
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 03:18:57 AM »

It seems like it depends on the LED color, that's right. Both of the Blazing Red stunts have the 2xAA setup, the Guardian Blue stunt have a 4xAAA setup.

Well, I don't know about the downside or the upside of this setups. Perhaps the brightness is lower or the runtime is shorter if only 2 instead of 4 batteries are used. I don't know the exact specifications of the LEDs.
But if you can read everywhere that the standard setup means 4xAAA, then it would have been appropriate to inform about this change, in my opinion. Otherwise you buy a stack of AAA NiMH batteries and then you can't do anything with them because you would have to use AA sized.

The Fallen: Diamond RGBW, White Illuminated Black AV Switch, 36"
Spectre with Engraving: Obsidian V4, BVA / FoC MLS, 36"
The Butcher Staff: TA Silver + Color Discs + Quick Release Coupler, 2x32"
Aeon LE V5: Stunt, GB, 36"
Dark Initiate V5: Stunt, BR, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 24"
Initiate V4: Stunt, BR, Windows,, 24"
The Dominix V2: Stunt, CG, 32"
Initiate V2: Stunt, GB, 24"

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »

technically the difference between 2xAA and 4xAAA is one of voltage and endurance.   AAA and AA batteries both give out 1.5V.  When you connect them in series, that voltage is cumulative.   So two AA batteries run at 3V, and a circuit of 4 AAA batteries run at 6V.

That's a maximum output.   As Firehand stated, all of the LEDs US uses are 3V or less.  So stacking 4 AAA batteries together over-volts them, hence the need for resistors to cut the flow down to safe levels.   With AA batteries this is less of an issue, though even then you need to resist for the color.   Red, for example, uses lower voltage than blue. 

So what's the difference?   Storage capacity.   The AA batteries have more storage because they simply have more reactant inside them.  They're bigger.   But 4 AAA batteries are almost equal to 2 AA batteries on that front. 

So as long as the resistors are done right, there's no practical difference between them.

Now, if they could cram-fu in 4xAA....   Then you'd get more storage, and longer battery life.  But I don't think you could make that fit.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 01:41:17 AM »

I also just received a saber with 2AAs in Red.
I want to get rechargeables for them, but my preferred brand (Eneloop Pro) provides 1.2v in their AAs (and their AAAs but that's much less of an issue with 4 batteries)

If a Red requires more than 2.4v, does that mean two 1.2v AAs won't be enough?
Any suggestions on where I can get proper rechargeable AAs?

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 02:43:02 AM »

I want to get rechargeables for them, but my preferred brand (Eneloop Pro) provides 1.2v in their AAs (and their AAAs but that's much less of an issue with 4 batteries)

-

See my other answers to this question.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

GeneralMalice-
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 83

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:33:14 AM »

-

I use ladda from ikea only. Their batteries are all from japan and top knotch

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 06:17:58 PM »

Update: got my rechargeable eneloop pro AAs today.
Popped them into the saber to test them before giving them a full charge (they come ready to use, but I like to top them off first).
It seems even at 1.2v each, they work just fine for my BR LED.
I was worried about the voltage since regular alkaline AAs atec1.5v each.
I don't notice any difference in brightness.

YMMV as I know different colors require different voltage minimums, but I've not heard of anyone getting the 2AA setup in anything other than Red or Orange.
I assume the voltage requirement for Blues and Greens is too high for 2AAs.

-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: