Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Swapping DIAMOND guts into a Graflex and Archon  (Read 4378 times)
MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« on: April 27, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »

OK, so here's my dilemma...
I ordered two of my favorite sabers, the Graflex CE and the Archon 3.1, which I received and I LOVE them!
My problem is, after spoiling myself with the DIAMOND Controller in my Manticore, the Premium Sound with FoC in the Graflex and Archon just doesn't cut it.
What I'd like to do is pick up a couple other sabers with the DIAMOND Controller and swap the electronics into the Graflex and Archon.
I'm sure this has been done, looking for some advice or tips on how not to screw it up or potential issues to avoid.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »

Archon v 2.1 and 3.1 are easy enough to swap into, but the led module is the lipped type, not the flat standard cylinder as in other hilts. (Modular led system - MLS). Problem with the Graflex is that the hilt has an inner sleeve that the led module slots into and is tough to disassemble. Both cosmetic buttons need to be removed to access hidden set screws underneath. It would be much easier but more expensive to just have US do that work instead of you chancing the hilt getting damaged.

Removal of the Diamond card (WARRANTY VOIDED) & led module in many hilts I did not find difficult in the simple lineup from the v4 or v5 line. In actuality, the Archon style hilts are probably the easiest for me to swap out the electronic guts. Taking off the emitter and neck allow access to both the led module and switch. (I needed to replace my switch and the one I put in didn't even need to be soldered - it had 2 screw posts). The hardest part is loosening the hot melt glue US uses - heat gun or hair dryer will work for this.

Note - I did not have illuminated AV switches for the hilts I pulled the Diamond systems on. I didn't want the added complication of keeping track of the wires for those. Simpler to only watch those 2 wires for the basic AV switch.

Now, my advice: Either buy another Graflex CE and Archon with the Diamond system in both, or have US do the work for you. It's more expensive either way, but US knows what they're doing and have done this work many times before and it saves the warranty.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 08:37:39 PM »

Archon v 2.1 and 3.1 are easy enough to swap into, but the led module is the lipped type, not the flat standard cylinder as in other hilts. (Modular led system - MLS). Problem with the Graflex is that the hilt has an inner sleeve that the led module slots into and is tough to disassemble. Both cosmetic buttons need to be removed to access hidden set screws underneath. It would be much easier but more expensive to just have US do that work instead of you chancing the hilt getting damaged.

Removal of the Diamond card (WARRANTY VOIDED) & led module in many hilts I did not find difficult in the simple lineup from the v4 or v5 line. In actuality, the Archon style hilts are probably the easiest for me to swap out the electronic guts. Taking off the emitter and neck allow access to both the led module and switch. (I needed to replace my switch and the one I put in didn't even need to be soldered - it had 2 screw posts). The hardest part is loosening the hot melt glue US uses - heat gun or hair dryer will work for this.

Note - I did not have illuminated AV switches for the hilts I pulled the Diamond systems on. I didn't want the added complication of keeping track of the wires for those. Simpler to only watch those 2 wires for the basic AV switch.

Now, my advice: Either buy another Graflex CE and Archon with the Diamond system in both, or have US do the work for you. It's more expensive either way, but US knows what they're doing and have done this work many times before and it saves the warranty.

Info GREATLY appreciated!

I do have Illuminated A/V switches on both.  Me being me, I'm not particularly worried about the warranties, I actually enjoy the challenge and resulting pride of doing the work myself.  My concern was parts that would not be compatible or the like.

My plan, since I theyre on my wishlist anyway, was to order a diamond Consular and diamond Guardian, and swap the electronics.  I believe the LEDs in all 4 sabers then are all MLS, correct?  I would also order them with Illuminated A/V switches to make the swaps wire for wire.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 01:58:00 AM »

Consular and Guardian have I believe the same LED module as the Graflex CE does. The ones used in the Archon hilts are different, with the lip/flange along the top/lense end so the neck keeps it in place. IF you had to, you could just swap the aluminum barrels/cylinders from one to the other if you do go with the Diamond in the Consular and Guardian hilts. The blades basically hold the led module in place in most of the rest of the US hilts. I find this annoying because i'd rather have the emitter necked down 2 mm or so to create a "ledge" for the led module to butt up against to hold it in place instead, but since most of the less expensive hilts are 1 solid piece of metal, it would just add more complexity and cost to the hilts.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:43:44 AM »

Consular and Guardian have I believe the same LED module as the Graflex CE does. The ones used in the Archon hilts are different, with the lip/flange along the top/lense end so the neck keeps it in place. IF you had to, you could just swap the aluminum barrels/cylinders from one to the other if you do go with the Diamond in the Consular and Guardian hilts. The blades basically hold the led module in place in most of the rest of the US hilts. I find this annoying because i'd rather have the emitter necked down 2 mm or so to create a "ledge" for the led module to butt up against to hold it in place instead, but since most of the less expensive hilts are 1 solid piece of metal, it would just add more complexity and cost to the hilts.

The Consular, the Archon, and the Graflex all use the same MLS LED housing, the one with the lip one it. The Guardian is the only one of those with the smooth 1 inch LED housing. The Graflex has a blade holder piece that is held in place by the greeblies at the front of it. The lip of the MLS unit is retained by that blade holder but it isn't clamped in tight by it without a blade holding it securely. Swapping guts on the Graflex poses the added challenge that all of the greeblies need to be removed just to get the LED out.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 07:26:18 PM »

The Consular, the Archon, and the Graflex all use the same MLS LED housing, the one with the lip one it. The Guardian is the only one of those with the smooth 1 inch LED housing. The Graflex has a blade holder piece that is held in place by the greeblies at the front of it. The lip of the MLS unit is retained by that blade holder but it isn't clamped in tight by it without a blade holding it securely. Swapping guts on the Graflex poses the added challenge that all of the greeblies need to be removed just to get the LED out.

Thanks for the correction. It's what I get for going by memory instead of actually pulling the Consular hilt out and checking the module.

Point to you.

Xiphos
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

Master the blade - master the self. Train hard.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 04:13:14 AM »

Have you anymore info regarding how to remove all those Graflex greeblies, and what the LED module for that saber looks like? I have an empty Graflex for a DIY project, and I'm not sure how to remove the blade holder from the main body, or how to secure the LED module in the holder. The large button on the underside stumps me. Is it glued in?

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 01:28:00 PM »

Have you anymore info regarding how to remove all those Graflex greeblies, and what the LED module for that saber looks like? I have an empty Graflex for a DIY project, and I'm not sure how to remove the blade holder from the main body, or how to secure the LED module in the holder. The large button on the underside stumps me. Is it glued in?
bump!
I do not own this one so not able to help other than bringing to the top. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: