Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Crossguard adapters and WIP tonfa/baton attachments  (Read 3642 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: May 01, 2020, 11:07:42 PM »

The tonfa/batons will be for my youngest son's Dark Initiate v4s when his Phantom Initiate v4 arrives. My plan is to glue the sabers' pommels directly into the PVC so they can be removable. I ordered the adjustable coupler with his staff, so he can use that either as a coupler, or if be remove the screw, each half of the couple should make nice replacement pommels if he wants to dual wield regular sabers.

Should turn out fun. I'll keep you guys posted, but I don't anticipate getting the sabers for at least a month. The photo just has his V2's slotting in as a proof of concept.

-

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 12:29:20 AM »

That's a good idea, Galef. How do you keep them secured to the tonfas?

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 01:24:19 AM »

I'm going to permanently glue the pommels into the PVC the same way I did with my custom quick release coupler for my V2s.
Basically I use a bit of hot glue in the PVC to fill the gaps perfectly between the pommel's shape and the PVC. Then I break that adhesion and apply superglue for a proper adhesion.
I don't think it will hold to hard dueling, but that's what the coupler will be for.

We'll use the coupler for staff/paired dueling with the thick walled 28" red blades we have and use the 24" midgrades the staff comes with for the tongs just for show and cosplay.

I'm actually going to leave them white n black as it has a Storm trooper vibe.

-

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 06:36:40 AM »

I'm going to permanently glue the pommels into the PVC the same way I did with my custom quick release coupler for my V2s.
Basically I use a bit of hot glue in the PVC to fill the gaps perfectly between the pommel's shape and the PVC. Then I break that adhesion and apply superglue for a proper adhesion.
I don't think it will hold to hard dueling, but that's what the coupler will be for.

We'll use the coupler for staff/paired dueling with the thick walled 28" red blades we have and use the 24" midgrades the staff comes with for the tongs just for show and cosplay.

I'm actually going to leave them white n black as it has a Storm trooper vibe.

-

I love this whole idea first off!
The reason I post, instead of glue why not let the hilt protrude from the bottom and use some  sort of washer and the pommel to hold it in place? 
 Just a thought that came to me.
   I will definitely be watching your end results. I've wanted an Ultrasaber baton for a while. This might be a good fix so to speak. My wife would definitely notice any new additions and not be pleased.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 12:26:47 PM »

The reason I post, instead of glue why not let the hilt protrude from the bottom and use some  sort of washer and the pommel to hold it in place? 
   I will definitely be watching your end results. I've wanted an Ultrasaber baton for a while. This might be a good fix so to speak. My wife would definitely notice any new additions and not be pleased.
I indeed know what you mean about the wife. We've only gotten our last few orders because my boys saved some allowance for it. I still paid for most, but it was a decent enough compromise to say they boys chipped in.

Could you elaborate on the washer idea? I know my method will work as I did the same thing with my Initiate V2s to given them a sort of QR coupler, but it's precision work (so that the hilt lines up perfectly) that could easily mess up and require me to strip the PVC and start again.

-
-

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 01:09:08 PM »

www.tcss.com/Tonfa-Pommel-Ring-P456.aspx

This link won't work, but if you look at the information contained within, you will get the idea?!?

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »

I like this idea, actually. Have a washer in place to hold it without the use of glue. You can remove it anytime you want without it being messing

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »

So, I've looked up the washer idea, but I'm still not sure I get it.  I see that there are tonfa adapters on TCSS, but those will cost a bit more than I'm wanting to invest.
I've already started putting together the PVC, after all. I'm ok 'sacrificing' the pommels to glue them into the PVC. I've done this with my V2s, so I'm confident it will work and hold quite well
Unlike my V2s, the coupler I ordered the Phantom v4 with is the adjustable one, so it has 2 parts that actually look like pommels on their own (a fact a plan on accentuating by adding O-rings to them).

Overall, I think I'm more excited for this project than my son is.  He just wanted a single Brood Guard, but you've got to get those in pairs, right?
And my other son & I really want one of us to have a double Red staff to re-enact some Ep1 duels since there's 3 of us.
So hopefully my plans will allow everyone to get what they want.

-

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 12:00:19 AM »

Cool!

Proud Owner of:
Graflex CE w/Diamond Controller
Spectre (Black Hilt) w/Diamond Controller
Lost Gray w/Diamond Controller
Guardian w/Emerald and Obsidian v4
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Archon v3.1 w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself
12 additional Mystery Box sabers

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 08:57:03 PM »

Slight update: I've also ordered an Apprentice V4 staff for myself with the QR coupler, which also doubles as pommels.
So between my spare pommels, and the Adjustable coupler for my son's Phantom Initiate which can also double as pommels, I think we've got plenty of pommels so that I can permanently glue a set into the PVC tonfas.
It should make for a sturdier setup if I can glue it in correctly. I've also had to cut the slant down quite a bit as once I'm ready to glue in the pommels, I need access to that area and it looked difficult as I have them pictured

I've also cut about 1" off my green Cross-guards so that the mirrored blade tip is closer to the light and hopefully a bit brighter.
I'll keep everyone posted. I'm just waiting on the sabers to arrive.

-

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 02:34:48 AM »

Got 'em done:

Just glued some spare pommels into the PVC.

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 04:58:59 AM »

Looking good, sir!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 05:45:58 AM »

nice crafting work sir , what is the spec on the pvc, 1 1/2" sched 40 ?

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »

nice crafting work sir , what is the spec on the pvc, 1 1/2" sched 40 ?
I actually didn't pay attention to the size specs, sorry. I just took the pommel to Home Depot and got pieces that fit it the most closely.

Ay any rate, I doubt these would hold up to dueling, which is fine since tonfa/batons aren't very practical IMO anyway.
But my son want a single Brood guard and I just couldn't see the sense it just 1 when I got do 2 adapters like this + an Initiate staff for LESS than the cost of 1 Brood guard.

-

Gryphawoo
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »

Those look awesome! I might steal the tonfa idea myself because the brood guards are so expensive. Did you make those crossguard adapters yourself or get them from CSS?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: