Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ideal Sabers for Dueling?  (Read 5413 times)
CollCoff
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: May 03, 2020, 06:04:44 PM »

While I'm waiting on my first lightsaber (mysterybox) to come in, I'm thinking about taking advantage of the 15% off and free shipping to get another one. Obviously I don't know what the first one will be, and I also got a quick release pummel so I can ultimately make a double-sided saber.

I've had my eye on the Grand Master but I'm not sure if it would be good for combat or if it's more of a saber for show. As of right now, dueling would consist of light sparring with the kids and their toy lightsabers but I'd like to ultimately do some real sparring with some friends.

So what would be a good 2nd saber for combat (either as a single-sided or double-sided) and what are some sabers to stay away from (as in only for looks really)?

I've been looking at the Grand Master, the Scorpion, and maybe the Spectre or the Menace. Are any of these good for combat? Potentially open to other sabers however.

Sithlord77
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -44

Embrace the Darkside!

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »

I dont know alot about Dual or Staff Sabers but the Menace is designed after Darth Mauls saber so that would be a good Dual or Staff.
I know the Aeon is a good duel worthy single because of the choke points. I really like the Bane due to the 2 grip areas.

In the Arsenal:
Apprentice V4 w/ Consular Green
Dominix LE V2 w/ Blazing Red
Dark Menace w/ Blazing Red w/ Obsidian V4
Chosen One SE w/ Tri Blazing Red w/ Obsidian V4
Graflex SE w/ Tri Consular Green w/ Obsidian V4
Bellicose w/ Obsidian V3 & Emerald 2 Channel Driver (1st Place Raffle Prize)
Archon 3.1 w/ Tri Fire Orange w/ Obsidian V4
Initiate V5 w/ Tri Guardian Blue w/ Obsidian V4
Initiate LE V4 w/ Fire Orange

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 08:50:00 PM »

If you're looking for hilts to play around with, cheaper is better in my opinion. This way you can "mess around" with them and not worry as much as getting them dinged and dented. For myself, i'm more comfortable scratching up a pair of $65/hilt than a $600+ top of the line hilt. Also, the first tier hilts are slimmer and for me, easier to use as there's not any greebles switch boxes or claws to get caught on.

Yes, you can combat with higher tier/higher priced hilts and if you can afford to do so, more power to you. My to-hand hilts are my $200 or less hilts because if they get damaged, it adds character.

My opinion though.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Witchpig
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 16

Judge me by my size, do you?

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 01:53:00 AM »

I have rather small hands but I have to say the apprentice V4 has a very nice choke point and grip, especially if you cover both in electrical tape for an even grippier grip. I love how spins and for actual sparring it is very easy to control. I don't find it slipping out of my hands very much at all. Overall it has a very ergonomic feel.

Initiate V3 LE
Dark Initiate V4
Apprentice V4 LE

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 08:34:38 AM »

I don't have any experience in the high end hilts (simply can't affort them). And Chalion has a good point about the lesser worry about damaging your hilt if they're less expensive.
I would advise to go for a stunt saber. Less electronics so less parts and pieces that can damage.

As for the hilt. My Aeon v4 is my go-to-saber for everything. Spinning, duelling, form-training, etc. Like the Aeon v3 as well, feels a bit more softer to the hands, but has less choking points. Sentinel v4 is nice, but a bit rougher then the Aeon IMHO.
I like the longer hilts, 'cause I have a small preference for double handed sabers, or at least the ability to use it as a double handed saber. And being a tall guy I have les problems wielding them one-handed.

So in short, my advise, stunt Aeon v4.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »

I don't have any experience in the high end hilts (simply can't affort them). And Chalion has a good point about the lesser worry about damaging your hilt if they're less expensive.
I would advise to go for a stunt saber. Less electronics so less parts and pieces that can damage.

As for the hilt. My Aeon v4 is my go-to-saber for everything. Spinning, duelling, form-training, etc. Like the Aeon v3 as well, feels a bit more softer to the hands, but has less choking points. Sentinel v4 is nice, but a bit rougher then the Aeon IMHO.
I like the longer hilts, 'cause I have a small preference for double handed sabers, or at least the ability to use it as a double handed saber. And being a tall guy I have les problems wielding them one-handed.

So in short, my advise, stunt Aeon v4.

I agree with what you day here ...

My favorite saber for duel is the AEON ... and I took a V2 because the diameter of the hilt is smaller and it is good for my hand.

That said, I mainly duel one handed ...

Just my opinion : Aeon

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

CollCoff
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 02:11:50 AM »

I ended up going with a Grand Master with LITE sound and Adegan silver (and color disks).

It ended up working out though. My MysteryBox came in today and I realized I think I'm glad it came as a stunt saber. I really wanted it to have sound but I think the sound would get annoying for regular, every day use.

Anyway I got the Dominix V4 with emitter windows and Silver AV switch (which is like a $25 addd-n but whatever) with an Orange blade. A nice sized, cheap saber that still looks good and I won't care about banging it up too badly.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 12:18:39 AM »

Yeah, I'd take a Dominix v4 over the Grand Master for dueling any day. Although honestly I'd prefer a v3 over the v4.

My favorites, in order:

Dark Standard Issue
Dark Liberator
Sentinel v4
Dominix v3
Apprentice v4
Initiate v4

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »

I ended up going with a Grand Master with LITE sound and Adegan silver (and color disks).

It ended up working out though. My MysteryBox came in today and I realized I think I'm glad it came as a stunt saber. I really wanted it to have sound but I think the sound would get annoying for regular, every day use.

Anyway I got the Dominix V4 with emitter windows and Silver AV switch (which is like a $25 addd-n but whatever) with an Orange blade. A nice sized, cheap saber that still looks good and I won't care about banging it up too badly.

Sorry I didn't see this until now.  I got the Grand Master last year and used it as my only saber at the local saber club. As such, I've also compared it to my compatriots.

It is the second heaviest saber at the club (Emperor's Hand  weighing in more).
The three support spars are at a bad spot, where you'd like to choke up on the grip, making it unbalanced and heavier to swing.

One of the lightest and best designed grips I've seen is my wife's Savior.  Very light, and the flare at the end of the hilt proper before the emitter works great for hand placement. I didn't think it looked cool, but it works very well for combat.

If your goal is specifically sparring, the Grand Master is not a good design for that.

I'm looking at a Consular, which I hear good things for sparring.  It's got something that looks better than a pipe turned on a lathe (what I hate about most hilts and why I chose the Grand Master), but should be lighter, and has a higher grip point to improve balance.

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »

I'm just getting into saber combat training, and I am glad that I found a good sale on my Dark Catalyst.  My first saber was a Fallen, and especially with my small hands, its a bit of a beast.  The catalyst has a great choke point, but is plenty long for two-hand use.  I think my favorite, though, is the Initiate V4s that my son bought.  They are long enough for two hands, but short enough and light enough for single hand use.  Also, DON'T get a heavy blade unless you are an absolute monster.  I was a blacksmith for years, and even with that, a 32" heavy blade was too much to move with any real speed.  Blades are cheap, tendons and ligaments are not.

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

AstraVlad
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »

I'm just getting into saber combat training, and I am glad that I found a good sale on my Dark Catalyst.  My first saber was a Fallen, and especially with my small hands, its a bit of a beast.  The catalyst has a great choke point, but is plenty long for two-hand use.  I think my favorite, though, is the Initiate V4s that my son bought.  They are long enough for two hands, but short enough and light enough for single hand use.  Also, DON'T get a heavy blade unless you are an absolute monster.  I was a blacksmith for years, and even with that, a 32" heavy blade was too much to move with any real speed.  Blades are cheap, tendons and ligaments are not.
I'm sorry but may be you should visit a physician? I've never was a blacksmith, I'm a middle-aged office worker but I spar with 36'' heavygrades all the time and never had an issue. Even when I'm using it one-handed (that I do most of the time) I still able to fence with ease because they are really, really light. Just for the comparison: my HEMA sabre (steel) weights 850 grams while my favorite duelling lightsabre (Dark Prophecy v3) with HG blade is about 650 grams.If you are experiencing difficulties with HG blade it can be a sign of some health-related issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: