Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Do Green and Blue blades mean anything anymore?  (Read 7980 times)
TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 03:16:11 AM »

I've always reasoned that the "Jedi arts" line referred to the fact that the Sith order arose from a splinter faction of disillusioned Jedi, and while the Sith obviously have their own practices that distinguish them from Jedi, none of those abilities were on display during Maul's skirmish with Qui Gon.

As for the topic of blade colors, I believe each color still has a significance, although said significance has been changed or reassigned with the new canon.  For example, if I am not mistaken, formerly, yellow lightsaber blades were originally red before being purified.  That distinction has since been given to the white blades that Ashoka now wields.

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 03:32:15 AM »

I've always reasoned that the "Jedi arts" line referred to the fact that the Sith order arose from a splinter faction of disillusioned Jedi, and while the Sith obviously have their own practices that distinguish them from Jedi, none of those abilities were on display during Maul's skirmish with Qui Gon.

As for the topic of blade colors, I believe each color still has a significance, although said significance has been changed or reassigned with the new canon.  For example, if I am not mistaken, formerly, yellow lightsaber blades were originally red before being purified.  That distinction has since been given to the white blades that Ashoka now wields.

That is fair. I guess the Sith would be an offshoot of the Jedi, and looking dark and "evil" is hardly anything truly damning, which was pretty much all Qui-Gon saw in his first encounter with Maul, as I think he only used one blade then, so it was just a longer-hilted saber from what he saw there. Not that double-bladed sabers were truly exclusively Sith weapons, even if they are more common Sith weapons. Didn't KOTOR have blue = guardian (combat focused), green = consular (diplomacy focused), and yellow = sentinel (a balance of guardian and consular).

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »

I believe so.  To be honest, I was referring to one specific example in legends, when the crystal of a red lightsaber was cleansed.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jaden_Korr%27s_third_lightsaber

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 01:08:45 AM »

That is fair. I guess the Sith would be an offshoot of the Jedi, and looking dark and "evil" is hardly anything truly damning, which was pretty much all Qui-Gon saw in his first encounter with Maul, as I think he only used one blade then, so it was just a longer-hilted saber from what he saw there. Not that double-bladed sabers were truly exclusively Sith weapons, even if they are more common Sith weapons. Didn't KOTOR have blue = guardian (combat focused), green = consular (diplomacy focused), and yellow = sentinel (a balance of guardian and consular).

There were Jedi during Qui-Gon's life that would have had double-bladed sabers. The Temple Guards all used them, as well as Pong Krell, and probably many others. I doubt a double-bladed saber would've given him much pause.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 01:44:39 AM »

The main difference between the Sith and Jedi is that Sith have red lightsabers.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 01:49:57 AM »

There were Jedi during Qui-Gon's life that would have had double-bladed sabers. The Temple Guards all used them, as well as Pong Krell, and probably many others. I doubt a double-bladed saber would've given him much pause.
This is very true. Good point. Just because they weren't shown on-screen at the time Episode 1 was released doesn't mean that the characters later revealed weren't well known to him at the time. Dude could have just liked a red saber and black robes because his skin is those colors and he likes to match. That alone hardly makes him evil.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 04:38:32 AM »

Would be nice if Jedi could choose between purple, green, yellow and blue. The lack of meaning of the color doesn't bother me too much.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 03:14:19 PM »

Its possible even in new canon.  Anakin made Ahsokas lightsabers blue before he gave them back to her.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 06:50:08 PM »

A lot of great points about this topic... About the foundations of lightsaber combat being "Jedi" therefore "Jedi arts" comment. For sure also the references to many within the Order using double bladed lightsabers and even the old reference to Exar Kun.

I will say I did enjoy the clear distinction of the blade colors having explicit meaning. It made sense, and seemingly fit categorically in defining roles as an Order like the Jedi would be prone to do. Also loved the concept of purple having greater meaning and it's relevance to Windu and Revan. It just is better than "you get what you get" or "just pick a color" IMO.

That said, I would hate being "forced/relegated" into having a specific blade color as a Jedi. So I get why people would want to argue against it for personal reasons. Though in my opinion Orange is closer to a Sith color than Jedi one. So it's seemingly a moot point to debate it in such a way. I vomit rage at the Disney crystal logic (or lack thereof) so I will never proclaim any level of expertise in that field. Though technically I believe that the only definitive color their canon has so far established would be Sith = Red. Probably to avoid angering fans with a "rainbow" Sith spectrum/army or having "bad guys" with blue, green, pink whatever every which way. I just thought that the whole "bleeding the crystal" thing definitively makes red the Sith only color. Truly there should be more precedent in the Disney chain of logic to support that EU ideology of "you are this type of Jedi so you get this color of lightsaber". Because if the dang thing knows/harmonized with it's owner and is tied into the Force then it stands to reason "I'm your crystal, I know you, you'll be all crazy combat focused so I'm blue now... will of the Force, I don't care if pink is your favorite color, you don't get much choice in the matter since Will of the Force" Same would go for those tempted toward, straddling the line between, or returning from the Dark Side. Except in those cases it'd be more of a coin flip between Purple and Silver (thinking silver makes more sense for grey jedi but whatever). So, this is primarily just opinion based reasoning, I'm not going to even try and research Disney logic on this because it'd just give me a headache or nightmares pondering that too long.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 08:48:18 PM »

Hi everyone,

Well if the Force and Kyber crystal attunes themselves to the user/builder of a saber then I have a problem....I built this hilt and put a crystal in it and I think I may be conflicted  Grin

It's blue on one side and red on the other.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

I like the kotor explanation better actually. There are roles and colors, but you can still chose what you want depending on what color you find, etc.
It makes sense for me that sith would take a different path than jedi and create synthetic crystals.
This hippie tuning shell is disney level of garbage.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 09:05:20 PM »

Hi everyone,

Well if the Force and Kyber crystal attunes themselves to the user/builder of a saber then I have a problem....I built this hilt and put a crystal in it and I think I may be conflicted  Grin

It's blue on one side and red on the other.

The first bipolar lightsaber blade/crystal? I think you might get expelled from the Order for sure the minute you construct a lightsaber and it does that.

And yeah that makes me laugh a bit Darth R, I'd forgotten the "you leveled up a whole ton, reclass with your next tier mastery skills" so good reference there. I do remember just sitting there and saying on a few play throughs, blue or green? I AM THE FORCE, I am all the skills, I will cut you in half, Force push the pieces, and drain life from one and heal the other just so I can use lightning on it after... what blade color defines that? Better make a deeper red!

All joking aside, I'd agree with you fundamentally for sure. One big video game example I've seen done recently basically conflicts with itself in that regard too. So I'm just lost, I don't think there is logic or rules anymore (if there ever truly was), colors just happen. GL made the rules, broke them for SLJ, then Dis burned the rule book to ash. It's just made up along the way now I think.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2021, 09:16:16 PM »

I often go red+purple or purple+yellow anyway so...

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2021, 01:50:35 AM »

A lot of great points about this topic... About the foundations of lightsaber combat being "Jedi" therefore "Jedi arts" comment. For sure also the references to many within the Order using double bladed lightsabers and even the old reference to Exar Kun.

I will say I did enjoy the clear distinction of the blade colors having explicit meaning. It made sense, and seemingly fit categorically in defining roles as an Order like the Jedi would be prone to do. Also loved the concept of purple having greater meaning and it's relevance to Windu and Revan. It just is better than "you get what you get" or "just pick a color" IMO.

That said, I would hate being "forced/relegated" into having a specific blade color as a Jedi. So I get why people would want to argue against it for personal reasons. Though in my opinion Orange is closer to a Sith color than Jedi one. So it's seemingly a moot point to debate it in such a way. I vomit rage at the Disney crystal logic (or lack thereof) so I will never proclaim any level of expertise in that field. Though technically I believe that the only definitive color their canon has so far established would be Sith = Red. Probably to avoid angering fans with a "rainbow" Sith spectrum/army or having "bad guys" with blue, green, pink whatever every which way. I just thought that the whole "bleeding the crystal" thing definitively makes red the Sith only color. Truly there should be more precedent in the Disney chain of logic to support that EU ideology of "you are this type of Jedi so you get this color of lightsaber". Because if the dang thing knows/harmonized with it's owner and is tied into the Force then it stands to reason "I'm your crystal, I know you, you'll be all crazy combat focused so I'm blue now... will of the Force, I don't care if pink is your favorite color, you don't get much choice in the matter since Will of the Force" Same would go for those tempted toward, straddling the line between, or returning from the Dark Side. Except in those cases it'd be more of a coin flip between Purple and Silver (thinking silver makes more sense for grey jedi but whatever). So, this is primarily just opinion based reasoning, I'm not going to even try and research Disney logic on this because it'd just give me a headache or nightmares pondering that too long.
If it bases the initial color on what it thinks you will be in the future, then wouldn't the initial color being something more "conflicted" be a litmus test to see if someone is a good candidate to be a Jedi? Or at least if they need some "extra supervision" to help ensure they don't get too tempted by the Dark Side? I think perhaps if it must pick an initial color for you, it would be based on your current state, but it can change over time based on your thoughts and actions. So if it gradually turns to a more "conflicted" color, then the Masters/Council would be able to pretty easily check in on you.
I like the kotor explanation better actually. There are roles and colors, but you can still chose what you want depending on what color you find, etc.
It makes sense for me that sith would take a different path than jedi and create synthetic crystals.
This hippie tuning shell is disney level of garbage.
I like this as well. You are given an initial color based on your role/path/aptitude, but you can change it in the future if you desire. Just like how all Jedi are given the same/similar robes/attire as Padawans, but as they become Knights and Masters they can customize it to their liking. Like how Anakin wore vastly different clothes than Quinlan Vos did, and they were both different than your standard Jedi attire.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2021, 02:15:52 AM »

If it bases the initial color on what it thinks you will be in the future, then wouldn't the initial color being something more "conflicted" be a litmus test to see if someone is a good candidate to be a Jedi? Or at least if they need some "extra supervision" to help ensure they don't get too tempted by the Dark Side? I think perhaps if it must pick an initial color for you, it would be based on your current state, but it can change over time based on your thoughts and actions. So if it gradually turns to a more "conflicted" color, then the Masters/Council would be able to pretty easily check in on you.

For sure, it'd be hilariously simple if your lightsaber crystal acts like a karmic mood ring:
Knight- "Master I'd like to study saber combat more extensively" Master- "sure my young apprentice, your blade is a brilliant blue I see no harm; in fact I saw this coming for some time"
3 years later after some rather risky missions
Knight- "Master why does the Council continue to order us on such tasks, it seems to endager us for less than positive outcomes. Many have been less than fortunate, and not returned with us"   Master- "Be mindful of these doubts my friend, the council has it's reasons" *sees blade has been purple in hue for some time*
2 more years pass...
Knight- "Master stay with me, please get up. Don't die here Master!" Master- "Remember there is no...ugh"
Blade shifts hard RED...
Knight- "None of you will get away with this, I'm twice the swordsman he was. He simply wanted to take you in alive for questioning, I have no desire to do such a thing. None of you deserve to leave here if my Master cannot!"

...Oh that would be a little hardcore of an early warning system for sure! Watching blades shift during battles or after trauma. A little too on the nose for sure.

But to the initial part of if you're well suited to be a Jedi, well once you construct a lightsaber you're well down the path to becoming a Jedi. So if you just make one and BAM out comes a red blade... I mean yeah that'd be a hard pass on the rest of your training for sure. "Master what does this mean, nobody has this color?" "It means your training is at an end, and not in a good way."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: