Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Do Green and Blue blades mean anything anymore?  (Read 7979 times)
Daric Soldar
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 13

Lightside Points Appreciated

« on: May 18, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »

In the Legends canon, specifically in the Old Republic era, lightsaber blade colors had meaning. Green was for the Jedi Consular, who followed a more Force-focused path, blue was for the Jedi Guardian, who was more combat focused, and yellow was for Jedi Sentinels, who were multi-talented and had a wide range of tasks such as recon, technical expertise, etc.

With the Disney canon, this distinction is gone. You get a saber and the Kyber crystal changes color based on the connection it makes with the Force user.

However, does some of that distinction still kind of exist even though it's not explicit? I think Obi-Wan and Anakin squarely fit the Jedi Guardian path, Yoda in the Consular path, etc.

My question is: do we have clear contradictions of this in the Disney canon? Like someone focused on lightsaber combat who had a green saber, or someone focused on the Force with a blue saber? I thought maybe you lore experts would know.

I ask because, while the distinction may no longer technically exist, there still could be a larger sample of combat focused Jedi with blue sabers versus green which may indicate such a distinction is not totally without merit.

Thanks!

"Arrogance diminishes wisdom."
Shock LE (Emerald), Aeon v4 (Consular Green), Sentinel v5 (Tri-Cree Adegan Silver), Dominix LE v4 (Tri-Cree Consular Green)

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:58:43 PM »

I think the problem with this question is, how many people in the current Disney cannon have built their own lightsaber?

I can think of three: Ben Solo, Leia Organa Solo, and Rey.

Ben's was originally Blue, Leia's was Blue, and Rey's is Yellow.

Sticking to in universe history/story, I think the lightsaber colors losing their meaning has more to do with the lack of people with lightsabers. There aren't very many (pretty much one at this point that we know of) running around with one. I think with the fall of the jedi order there became no point to specific colors being used by specific groups. And I'm of the opinion that this would apply whether Disney had bought Star Wars or not. So I'm not sure it's a Disney thing as much as a "that's they way the universe is now" thing. Even going back to the EU, I don't think the colors had their previous meanings, possibly because no one knew what the previous meanings were (or they just didn't care, as they had more important things to worry about than whether they were carrying the correct lightsaber color to reflect their views).

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Daric Soldar
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 13

Lightside Points Appreciated

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 08:56:10 PM »

I think the problem with this question is, how many people in the current Disney cannon have built their own lightsaber?

I can think of three: Ben Solo, Leia Organa Solo, and Rey.

Ben's was originally Blue, Leia's was Blue, and Rey's is Yellow.

I had to read that a few times before I understood. You mean the lightsabers built in the content made since Disney took control of the Star Wars license includes these three sabers. Okay. I see what you meant. When I said the "Disney canon" I was including all 10 films (including "The Clone Wars") and the Clone Wars series, which had a ton of lightsabers made by Jedi, Sith and everything in between.

But I see what you mean, I think: has Disney changed what the lightsaber colors mean since they bought the rights to the story? That's a good question and, like you said, there are limited new lightsabers introduced in the sequel trilogy.

Some people made the connection with Rey's saber being yellow to the yellow lightsabers of the Old Republic Jedi Sentinels who were good with their hands, technology, etc., as Rey has been since she was a child. It was an interesting theory, but since all the Old Republic material has been deemed non-canon by Disney, it's only a theory. Can't really back it up with canonical material.

Even going back to the EU, I don't think the colors had their previous meanings, possibly because no one knew what the previous meanings were (or they just didn't care, as they had more important things to worry about than whether they were carrying the correct lightsaber color to reflect their views).

Yeah, you're right. In the older books, comics, video games, etc., color really had no connection to roles of Jedi within the Order. It was just kind of like "what looks cool for this character" or "what matches their personality". Although red lightsabers were pretty consistently used for Dark Jedi and blue and green for Jedi (excepting cases where a Jedi turned dark and used a blue saber, like Exar Kun).

It wasn't really until the "Knights of the Old Republic" game and the subsequent material based in the Old Republic ("Knights of the Old Republic II", "The Old Republic" MMO game, the related books and comics, etc.), where this idea of lightsaber colors being tied to the role of the Jedi arose.

I was just thinking of Jedi in "The Clone Wars" series. Did they try to tie color of the lightsaber with their personality? I think the purple saber of Mace Windu fits thematically with his character (and not just because Samuel Jackson wanted it, which was the actual reason) as he danced on the edge of the darkside in his lightsaber combat (so mixing blue + red = purple). And Jedi like Yoda and Qui Gonn having a very spiritual connection to the Force while not being really that focused on lightsaber combat. And Jedi like Anakin and Obi-Wan who excelled at lightsaber combat having a blue saber.

In the Clone Wars, we do see that yellow double-bladed sabers are exclusively used by the Jedi Temple Guards. So there is a little bit of that mentality of "saber and color being tied to the role of the Jedi", even if it wasn't the same from "The Old Republic" games and material.

But I guess there are many Jedi who were excellent at lightsaber combat and used a green saber (like Kit Fisto), but I don't know if that was really their focus.

Anyways, rambling at this point.

"Arrogance diminishes wisdom."
Shock LE (Emerald), Aeon v4 (Consular Green), Sentinel v5 (Tri-Cree Adegan Silver), Dominix LE v4 (Tri-Cree Consular Green)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 01:10:48 PM »

Fear not my brethren. I hear the rumor mill churning, and the word on the holo is that Uncle George has unseated his upstart failed apprentice, and taken back creative control. I sense a great disturbance in the Force that will soon bring about resolution to the schism of recent years, and reunite the fandom.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »

Much like the Question of about the Inquisitors in another Thread...this is chalked up to Video Game Mechanics.  The Colors for Classes was merely a way to tell them apart for gamers.  In the main EU Lightsabers colors were dependent on the type of crystal used.  Ilum Crystals produced either Green or Blue and they were the most common. 

Fear not my brethren. I hear the rumor mill churning, and the word on the holo is that Uncle George has unseated his upstart failed apprentice, and taken back creative control. I sense a great disturbance in the Force that will soon bring about resolution to the schism of recent years, and reunite the fandom.

Been in the rumors for a while...especially since it became known Lucas was a frequent visitor to the set of the Mandalorian and Faveru and Filoni would pick his brain.  Faveru even said they have an Open door policy for Lucas.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »

Much like the Question of about the Inquisitors in another Thread...this is chalked up to Video Game Mechanics.  The Colors for Classes was merely a way to tell them apart for gamers.  In the main EU Lightsabers colors were dependent on the type of crystal used.  Ilum Crystals produced either Green or Blue and they were the most common.  

Been in the rumors for a while...especially since it became known Lucas was a frequent visitor to the set of the Mandalorian and Faveru and Filoni would pick his brain.  Faveru even said they have an Open door policy for Lucas.
I've heard this goes deeper. Now that the ST is finished, I heard they are completely taking away all creative control from KK, and endeavoring to bypass if not retcon everything done up to now.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 07:36:35 PM »

I've heard this goes deeper. Now that the ST is finished, I heard they are completely taking away all creative control from KK, and endeavoring to bypass if not retcon everything done up to now.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I've heard the same.  The New Bob is supposed to want to recon a lot that came from the Sequel Trilogy when his power becomes complete...  damage is done though.  There is a lot they can move forward on and maybe even fix..... But Luke's character assassination isn't one of them.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »

I've heard the same.  The New Bob is supposed to want to recon a lot that came from the Sequel Trilogy when his power becomes complete...  damage is done though.  There is a lot they can move forward on and maybe even fix..... But Luke's character assassination isn't one of them.
Well........... Roll Eyes the hard solution is to simply de-canonize the ST. Yes, it will mean that there was a $#!%-ton of time and money that went into making something that is no longer canon, but take a look at the OCEU that was thrown out with the rest of the garbage. That took decades to create, and with one blasphemous word, they were gone.

BUT, on the other side of it, you could look at the ST as being something experimental that both re-surged public interest, grew interest in a new generation, and gauged what the old fans really wanted moving forward. Make it all a bad dream, THEN make what REALLY HAPPENED after the Battle of Endor.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sig by For Tyeth

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:55:46 PM »

Well........... Roll Eyes the hard solution is to simply de-canonize the ST. Yes, it will mean that there was a $#!%-ton of time and money that went into making something that is no longer canon, but take a look at the OCEU that was thrown out with the rest of the garbage. That took decades to create, and with one blasphemous word, they were gone.

BUT, on the other side of it, you could look at the ST as being something experimental that both re-surged public interest, grew interest in a new generation, and gauged what the old fans really wanted moving forward. Make it all a bad dream, THEN make what REALLY HAPPENED after the Battle of Endor.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That was actually a way JJ could have both gave the finger to RJ (who's petty enough to scribble over someone else's name on the falcon to add his???) and calmed the fandom by retconning RJ's garbage of a movie (personnal opinion) by beginning his second movie with Luke waking up from a force nightmare of sorts...

But as much as I hate the ST, that I consider noncanon, I believe you are right, I do hope it reignited a flame in the youngest people for SW =)

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 06:11:00 AM »

And to be back on topic, I still hold some truth to those colors particularities though I often do not respect them myself in the games I play.
I hate their new explanation for colors such as bleeding and the rest. So I'd rather stick with the old canon justification. Sourcing. =)

Plus, there were some consular really good at lightsaber combat... Yoda for one =)

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 08:18:16 PM »

All this Canon stuff fascinates me.  I need to dive deep into this.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 03:11:09 AM »

I checked these rumors and they seem to be untrue. I personally have no objection to Filoni's work.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 08:48:03 PM »

At the start it was basically bad guys red, good guys blue and then green was “I’m my own man now.”

I kind of have mixed feelings about assigning particular meanings to the colors though red fits the Sith very well as it’s a color often associated with anger. I kind of feel like the color should just be something that fits the character using it or even just looks cool when put against the rest of their design. Green really pops on Luke with the black of his costume. Kind of like Green Lantern.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 01:26:34 AM »

Something interesting that I was thinking about the other day is that after Qui-Gon returns to the Temple in TPM, he never mentions that Maul had a Red saber, only that "He was trained in the Jedi arts". Though that does not necessarily mean anything, it is interesting to think about the fact that Qui-Gon never even considered the fact that it was Red, therefor it probably meant nothing to him, and he had probably seen Red sabers before.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 01:36:12 AM »

Something interesting that I was thinking about the other day is that after Qui-Gon returns to the Temple in TPM, he never mentions that Maul had a Red saber, only that "He was trained in the Jedi arts". Though that does not necessarily mean anything, it is interesting to think about the fact that Qui-Gon never even considered the fact that it was Red, therefor it probably meant nothing to him, and he had probably seen Red sabers before.
That is a very interesting point. And calling them the "Jedi arts" is itself an interesting thing to say, although I suppose if the Sith were believed to be "extinct" for some time, then the Jedi would be the only ones trained to use lightsabers, so anyone using them would likely be viewed as knowing the "Jedi arts," even if they aren't actually exclusive to the Jedi in reality, for if no one knows the Sith still exist, no one would likely think that they were teaching anyone anything.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: