Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Did I forgot something?  (Read 2276 times)
Purzelkater
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« on: May 26, 2020, 06:19:00 AM »

I would like to know what's needed to upgrade an already owned Stunt lightsaber with sound. The stunt should have a standard setup (2xAA or 4xAAA).

Now I was digging through the online store...
  • Obsidian V4 Soundboard: $135
  • 2x14500 Battery Holder/Speaker Combo: $19
  • 2x14500 LiIO Batteries: $10
  • Wired BuckPuck: $14
  • Illuminated AV Switch: $15
  • LED Module with FoC: $70-$90
If my math is correct, this should make $263-$283, just for the parts.

Now I'm going to configure a whole saber...
  • Dark Apprentice v4: $245-$265
    + Obsidian V4
    + LiIO Setup with BuckPuck and 2x14500 (without charger)
    + Guarded Switch
    + LED with FoC
  • Illuminated AV Switch: $15
This makes $260-$280 for the whole saber.

The price depends on the LED configuration.

For the whole saber I have chosen to take a simple guarded switch and add an AV switch separately. This is because US is gluing in the switches and I don't know if I would be able to remove the switch without damages.

Yet without any discounts it would be cheaper to order a complete Obsidian V4 saber, remove the components needed und put them on the stunt. Not only that I also would get a nice hilt for future projects and a spare blade.

If we want to upgrade 2 stunt sabers it becomes even more interesting...
  • Dark Apprentice v4 Staff: $449-$489
    + 2x Obsidian V4
    + 2x LiIO Setup with BuckPuck and 2x14500 (without charger)
    + 2x Guarded Switch
    + 2x LED with FoC
    + 1x Quick Release Coupler (Included on Premium Sound staffs)
  • 2x Illuminated AV Switch: $30
It total it does $479-$519 or around $240-$260 each saber. And you will get the $35 Quick Release Coupler "for free". Or omit the coupler and it will reduce the price per saber of $10 again.
And if I look at all the raffles and promotions on the last months it becomes even more better.

Hence my question again: Did I forgot something?

Please don't get me wrong. I know it would be morally doubtful to have the sabers assembled by Ultrasabers, just to take them apart. I'm just looking at the price here and if I forgot something.

The Fallen: Diamond RGBW, White Illuminated Black AV Switch, 36"
Spectre with Engraving: Obsidian V4, BVA / FoC MLS, 36"
The Butcher Staff: TA Silver + Color Discs + Quick Release Coupler, 2x32"
Aeon LE V5: Stunt, GB, 36"
Dark Initiate V5: Stunt, BR, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 24"
Initiate V4: Stunt, BR, Windows,, 24"
The Dominix V2: Stunt, CG, 32"
Initiate V2: Stunt, GB, 24"

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »

That all looks accurate. You haven't missed anything. They obtain parts at bulk wholesale prices but sell them at retail often making parts more expensive when bought unassembled. This is the same in almost all things.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »

Looks correct to me

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:05:53 AM »

I don’t know why you think it would be morally questionable; once the sabers are bought and paid for, they’re yours to do with as you will; so long as you don’t expect UltraSabers to honor the warranty on their work once you’ve started monkeying around with the internals, I see no issue whatsoever with what you seem to be planning.  I wish you well, and look forward to seeing the outcome.

Me?  I’m not so dexterous or experienced with soldering (although I can do it, it looks VERY sloppy when I’m finished), nor do I wish to void the warranty.  I’d say that once the warranty had expired that I’d be more willing to play, but I have a six-year-old saber that I still haven’t monkeyed with at all, so... “more willing to monkey with it” does not equate to “definitely going to monkey with it.”

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:17:34 AM »

Nope, you got it. This is why we usually recommend just getting a new saber over upgrading one. In addition to getting you what you want, you end up with two sabers! (<- yes, I stole all of that from someone else and I'm not at all sorry for it because it's a really good argument.)

I also agree that it's not at all morally, or ethically for that matter, questionable to open up a saber and mess with/update/change/modify the internals. If it was, US wouldn't sell parts....

Just remember anything you do voids the warranty (if it hasn't expired yet). If you completely fry the internals, US will fix/replace it for you if you ask nicely, but they will also charge you for it. So a voided warranty doesn't mean "US will never touch the saber again" it just means "US will charge you for fixing what you messed up."

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Purzelkater
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 03:53:34 AM »

Well, in terms of morality it's more like my thoughts how craftsmanship work. Someone by Ultrasabers had to built my saber how I have ordered it, had to pay attention anything is like I wanted it, had to be sure it's working well. And after this work I would take the newly created saber just to rip it apart. If I would be the guy how has built this saber, I wouldn't find that funny.
In my mind it would be the same if I would let a blacksmith forged a saber for me, according to my wishes, just to melt it down after he has finished his work, because I wanted the metal and it was cheaper to let him make the whole saber instead of buying the steel separately.
I hope I could explain it. So yeah, it's some kind of emotional, but sometimes I am emotional. Wink

And I know I would lost warranty of the disassembled sabers. But wouldn't it be the same, if I would buy all parts separately? At least, with an already built saber I would be able to check whether everything works before I will take it apart.
And to be honest I don't know if warranty would work this way. But I can't imagine US would take all costs for sending the saber back from and to Germany.

The Fallen: Diamond RGBW, White Illuminated Black AV Switch, 36"
Spectre with Engraving: Obsidian V4, BVA / FoC MLS, 36"
The Butcher Staff: TA Silver + Color Discs + Quick Release Coupler, 2x32"
Aeon LE V5: Stunt, GB, 36"
Dark Initiate V5: Stunt, BR, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 36"
Aeon V3: Stunt, CG, 24"
Initiate V4: Stunt, BR, Windows,, 24"
The Dominix V2: Stunt, CG, 32"
Initiate V2: Stunt, GB, 24"

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 04:01:45 AM »

I appreciate your thinking, but as a blacksmith, I can assure you that I’d be more than happy to just sell you the metal!   Wink

Well, in terms of morality it's more like my thoughts how craftsmanship work....
In my mind it would be the same if I would let a blacksmith forged a saber for me, according to my wishes, just to melt it down after he has finished his work, because I wanted the metal and it was cheaper to let him make the whole saber instead of buying the steel separately.
I hope I could explain it. So yeah, it's some kind of emotional, but sometimes I am emotional. Wink

And I know I would lost warranty of the disassembled sabers. But wouldn't it be the same, if I would buy all parts separately? At least, with an already built saber I would be able to check whether everything works before I will take it apart.
And to be honest I don't know if warranty would work this way. But I can't imagine US would take all costs for sending the saber back from and to Germany.

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 05:02:08 AM »

In my line of work i buy and sell various parts from simple to complicated if anything i sell is defective as built by the original manufacture and has not been subject to modifications, used in a fashion not part of its original use it was designed for or severe use beyond its normal range of use i honor a 1 year warranty on the part no labor to repair or shipping is covered this has worked well for both myself and my customers for 35 yrs. If you purchase lets call it a " widge-it " intended for one use and you decide to use it for another purpose and it fails there is no warranty ... now i have been know to supply a replacement at a discounted price if the customer explains how it was used and the idea impresses me , a purely subjective situation. So if you buy it, you mess with it and break it then you own it. I dont think any manufacture or supplier would handle it any different . It is a very common practice to sell parts at a high price . (I do not mean to belittle anyone or their understanding of business i simply try to explain to those that do not know how things work ) example you buy a machine from me at $100.00 i profit $15.00 you need a bolt for the machine which cost me $.05 each now i have to go the paper work process, etc etc to get you that bolt now my cost is $10.00 and i have not made any money so i charge you $5.00 plus shipping and handling . If your gonna be one to get heavy into modifying things see if your supplier will offer bulk pricing. or seek another supplier these options are free to choose with no morale issue involved .

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: