Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Leather wrapped hilts  (Read 20139 times)
Natalia
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 25, 2011, 05:19:25 PM »

I've wrapped a couple of my hilts with 2mm leather cord to give them some better grip.  I did a knotted wrap on my Dark SI and a simple wrap on my Liberator.  I put down a layer of 2-sided scotch tape as a base to keep everything in place.  They definitely give the sabers a better grip, I don't have to worry so much about them slipping out of my hands during fast moves.  I got the cord on Amazon for about $8 shipped.

zach skywalker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »

Is that faux leather. Also they look preety awsome

Yoda"Try not do or do not"
Luke"You want the imposible"

Natalia
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »

Is that faux leather. Also they look preety awsome

Thanks!  That's real leather, although I'm not sure what kind.  I also wrapped my daughters Dark Initiate, will be posting pics soon.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:16:41 AM »

Nice. I find aluminum baseball bat grips work great as well.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »

Nice! I is amazing what a simple "wrap job" can do. I think this is the First pic I have seen of any customization to the new dark version of the Si. I am planning on getting a dark liberator and because they are the same color design I was wonder what else i could do to make it "MINE".   

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Natalia
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »

Here's some shots of the wrapping job I did on my daughter's Dark Initiate.  The way the hilt is cut, it just cries out for a good wrapping to finish out the look.  Now I want to get an Aeon to do a tan/brown leather wrap.  I think it would be an awesome look for a Jedi saber.

Mansavage
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »

It looks great.  What did you do with the ends of the cord at the start and finish of the wrap?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:31:24 AM by Mansavage » Logged

Evil triumphs when good people are idle and do nothing.

Prophecy: RGB
Custom Dark Liberator: Consular Green
Oppressor: Blazing Red

Natalia
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »

I looks great.  What did you do with the ends of the cord at the start and finish of the wrap?

I run the extra cord from the beginning piece along the handle under the wrap and then wrap the other end piece around itself several times then use a pick to tuck it under a few layers above.  There are some sites on the internet that show how to do various cord wrapping styles.  I mainly just figured it out from messing with it.  These weren't the first sword hilts I've wrapped though.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »

Try steering wheel covers, I'm loving these things and they fit most of my sabers when I cut out the padding. They come in tons of different styles including a cool wood finish and lots of grippy options, and they're like 10 bucks at walmart.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

monkey fighter
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »

I'm thinking about trying a mess of O-rings.

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:39:12 AM »

@Monkey fighter:  Go for it.  O-Rings are awesome for grip, and look great besides.  You can do quite a few things with them, depending on your saber and the quantity.

Darth Eyece
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -22

I am a force user, but I fight for no one cause...

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »

I quite liked your wrapping Natalia!  I am familiar with the leather that you used, and I like your spirals that were added, very nice!  Another cheap idea would be to look up tandy leather factory, and see if you can get some suede scraps, give them a call, they'll ship you a mess of scraps in dozens of crazy colors for dirt cheap!  Suede is a great grip, but so is cordage!  But, you can also get suede lace in 1/4" strips or wider, and this might open some ideas or options up to you or others following this thread.  Just thoughts, leather is a big hobby of mine!

I'm working on a belt with a horizontal covertec clip installed directly onto the belt, for more of the wild west draw when you pull back the robes, and it hangs on your side imposingly, then a quick brush back and the saber comes flyin forward!  I quite like the thought of that...

I just purchased my dominix v2 le and was reading somewheres around here you installed a soundboard into yours, and I would love to pick your brain about that, since i'm no tech-savvy type, ohms and watts and circuit boards are still yet to be learned at this point in time, but I'd be happy to try my hand at it!  Any pictures or advice?

Again, great handles, hope you can use any of this!

*edit by Ultra: Blue text on a black background is nearly unreadable.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:19:03 PM by Ultra » Logged

"Sith Apprentice, 'Darth Eyece' sir." 
"Never 'eard of 'im."
"...this'll be the last time... I assure you..."
Due to the nature of my character, I would appreciate Dark Side points please...

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:36 AM »

Nice looking job. I started to wrap my hilt on a whim once and it came out so nice I almost cried. BUT, then I got done and I couldn't figure out how to tie off the end so that it wouldn't move or unravel, and after an hour of trying various things I ended up taking it apart again, and then I did cry.

What do you do with the end once you're done wrapping the hilt?

Natalia
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 10:02:20 PM »

When I get near the bottom of the hilt I put down a loop of leather or cord, with the ends hanging out and wrap the last few layers over it.  When I do the last wrap I loop it around the previous wrap once, the pull the end through the bottom loop of my extra cord.  Then I pull the other end of my loop and pull the end of the wrap up through to bottom few layers.  Just cut off the excess and tuck the end in and you're good to go.  I use a base layer of double-sided scotch tape to help everything stay put.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get this cord?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: