Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New to Star wars  (Read 1844 times)
Dramborleg
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: June 04, 2020, 03:52:20 PM »

I have recently become a big fan of Star Wars. However, I am having trouble learning the star wars canon. Any advice on websites/books/Youtube videos to learn the canon? All I know is from the movies and first season of clone wars

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »

Welcome to a new world and you have hit it rich on this site , links, stories, picture oh my so much. enjoy going down this rabbit hole

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »

I have recently become a big fan of Star Wars. However, I am having trouble learning the star wars canon. Any advice on websites/books/Youtube videos to learn the canon? All I know is from the movies and first season of clone wars

The movies and TV shows are pretty much your bedrock as far as official Canon goes nowadays. Wookiepedia is kind of like the online encyclopedia for everything Star Wars and can be useful to look up specific information about virtually anything, you'll notice that pages on the site have separate "Canon" and "Legends" tabs so you can see which information made it into the Canon universe and what was relegated to Non-Canon by the Disney takeover.

As far as books I'd recommend DK offerings like:

You don't even have to buy books like this, most libraries have them.

Once you get a good grounding in it I would certainly recommend taking a look into the Legends material or what used to be called the "Expanded Universe". Most of it exists in book form. I'm only speaking for myself but I don't think I ever decided to go about learning Star Wars in any particular fashion, I just read every book and watched every kind of media I could get my hands on and went from there. It can be very overwhelming at first. I remember first looking at the sheer number of Legends novels and thinking there are way too many to read, much less own.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »

Try this link; it has a veritable wealth of information (I consistently use it for my stories  Smiley):
Wookiepedia
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

Edit: looks like Saso beat me by a minute or two  Wink  Still: he's absolutely right!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Dramborleg
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »

Ok, thanks

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »

Your best bet for current canon is to watch the 9 primary movies, the two anthology films, TCW and Rebels. That would get you a decent idea of current canon. Beyond that there's a healthy chunk of books and comics as well! Welcome to the fandom! Its a big place and theres a lot of things to love!

Dramborleg
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »

One more question. What are some good books to learn about the pre-republic era?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 05:29:34 PM »

One more question. What are some good books to learn about the pre-republic era?

Depends on what you mean.  Pre-Republic like before there was such thing as a Republic?  If so there isn't much in the Old Canon and nothing in Disney Canon.  If you mean Old Republic...like when the Sith and Jedi were at war.  Then there is a plethora of resources on that (actually some of the best Star Wars stories come from that period) but sadly Disney made all of that Non-Canon (legends).  Disney canon currently has nothing (except a few mentions of things that happened) on the Old Republic.  They are about to release The High Republic which takes place 200 years before The Phantom Menace.
   As was mentioned before Wookiepedia is the best source and of course you have us here to ask.  We have had many in depth discussions around here of the lore ,both EU and Disney Canon, and the highs and lows of both.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: