Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: I feel like the old guy although probably not...  (Read 4080 times)
Thrindal
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: June 11, 2020, 01:09:43 AM »

Hey folks,  I have never owned a light saber, not even one of the plastic ones and I am 50 years old and have been a huge Star Wars fan since the beginning in 1977.

I have no idea what I want in a Saber.  I have considered just getting a Mystery Box but $75 is a lot of money and I kind of feel like if I am going to buy a Saber I might as well buy one I really want.

I can't decide on Sound or no sound, I feel like if I get sound I would need to be able to mute it so that means the expensive sound board.  So why bother getting sound?  IDK but it seems like fun.  Flash on Clash looks so cool but is it worth the extra cost?

I do feel like a bit of an old man, I don't think I would seriously duel someone else.  Maybe a light duel for fun but nothing crazy.

I see several sabers I think I like, and lots that just are not me.

It just feels like a huge investment for something few will appreciate other than friends.  I know my wife won't understand.  I really would like to hang one in my Star Wars Room though...

Can you tell I have been struggling with this?.  Wink

Drifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 146

May the force be with you

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 01:27:05 AM »

Hey welcome to the forum I have 1 with sound and 4 without I love messing around with them all but if I was to choose just 1 I would go the whole hog and get the diamond saber option for the full feel of owning a lightsaber as I say I have 1 and I feel it was worth it especially since I chose my favourite hilt to get with sound and now I'm hooked and want more lol hope this helps with your decision

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

There's light in the darkness but there is also darkness in the light

Let the force decide

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 01:30:05 AM »

Hey folks,  I have never owned a light saber, not even one of the plastic ones and I am 50 years old and have been a huge Star Wars fan since the beginning in 1977.

I have no idea what I want in a Saber.  I have considered just getting a Mystery Box but $75 is a lot of money and I kind of feel like if I am going to buy a Saber I might as well buy one I really want.

I can't decide on Sound or no sound, I feel like if I get sound I would need to be able to mute it so that means the expensive sound board.  So why bother getting sound?  IDK but it seems like fun.  Flash on Clash looks so cool but is it worth the extra cost?

I do feel like a bit of an old man, I don't think I would seriously duel someone else.  Maybe a light duel for fun but nothing crazy.

It just feels like a huge investment for something few will appreciate other than friends.  I know my wife won't understand.  I really would like to hang one in my Star Wars Room though...

Greetings, Your not old ( im 59 ) unless you start thinking you are . Struggling go with your instincts then see if your wallet can make it happen as for duelings that a personal choice there are many here who just collect sabers, Martial artists who duel, cos players who choreograph duels and performances there is no right or wrong way to enjoy this world of sabers and star wars  just enojy it and stay safe

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Mongerwind
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 01:40:59 AM »

Hello friend. By no means are you old. I will be 47 this year. I like you, saw the original in 1977.  Grew up with star wars.  Have always been a fan. I ordered my first lightsaber 4 weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting it.  I went with a mystery box with guaranteed sound ($200)   I put my trust in the Force and whatever hilt or color ot is, it will be mine.  I feel like a kid again waiting. I am not sure if it is the end of an era with the end of the Skywalker saga or the emergence of the mandolorian but i am feeling the star wars vibe and what a better way than to finally get a lightsaber.  This is not a toy or something silly, at least not for me.  But I would say get what you want.  And if you already have a star wars room, how can you not. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 02:24:06 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Let me start by saying that you are not alone. I'm 51 and have been a star wars fan from the beginning. Bought my 1st saber two years ago and I now have about 20ish or so. I did it for me. Dosen't matter if nobody gets it. We here in the forum get it, we get you. So, which sabers are calling you? Pick your absolute favorite and go for it. For me, it was the Emperor's Hand with angled switch. I went all out and got it in Diamond configuration. I can change blade colors and sounds with the touch of a single button. I couldn't be happier. If that's to much ($$$$) get your saber with premium v4 sound and flash on clash. A little pricey, but I promise you, you'll be so happy with it. So which saber is speaking to your soul?  What would you choose if you could have any saber in the Ultrasabers arsenal?

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 02:26:45 AM »

50 years old and still a fanatic?  God bless you, sir.  I'm 44 and absolutely refuse to grow up when it comes to all things Star Wars.  Don't ever feel like you're too old to be a fan.  Especially around here; you're in good company.   👍

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 02:45:19 AM »

Started my own collection back in '17, at the age of 50.
So, no need to feel old.
Trick will be getting the wife to understand.

Me, I didn't have that problem as I'm divorced and only answer to myself

GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 03:15:25 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional!

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 04:41:51 AM »

So Thrindal, what's it going to be?  Which saber or sabers are you looking at?

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Thrindal
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »

A little pricey, but I promise you, you'll be so happy with it. So which saber is speaking to your soul?  What would you choose if you could have any saber in the Ultrasabers arsenal?

I have had a couple in my wishlist and/or cart but right now I am leaning either very traditional and getting a Graflex or I like the cleanness of the Savior (even though its modeled after a dark side Saber).  At the moment with all that is going on in the world I am leaning toward the Light so no Red/Orange blades here, at least for the moment.

I do like the idea of being able to change blade color though.

Drifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 146

May the force be with you

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »

The colour changing option is something I like with mine then you can have the choice of your mood lol

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

There's light in the darkness but there is also darkness in the light

Let the force decide

drEe
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 13

Life long Star Wars nerd but not yet a Master

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »

Welcome to the forum; it is great to hear your fan-ship.

I understand the struggle; I am also in the old man category. If  I may offer any advice, go for a few sabers. My first order was one with sound, and a couple mystery boxes. This allowed me a freebie as well so I ended up with 4.

Check out my review to see what I received but I can tell you they are all great. It allowed me to get an idea what mattered and what did not matter.

I am a nerd with it and the girlfriend confirms it all the time but she likes the sabers as well and has gotten into it a little. She adopts sabers as I get them and dubs them hers...  Grin

Good luck on your decision and we will enjoy seeing your take.

DrEe Windu

Darth Andeddu
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -50

DS points please :)

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »

Welcome to the group!  I was a freshman in college when I went to see a wild space epic called Star Wars in the theater.  I have been collecting sabers for less than a year now, so I’m still relatively new to this forum myself.  While the wife is not a fan of the whole thing, the grandkids are totally into it and they are amused that Grampa is dueling with them . They have received a few stunt and Lite sound sabers from me for their own immersion in the franchise. 

I’d just say follow your heart and enjoy the community of fellow enthusiasts, and have fun!

Spectre, pro build, NEC Igniter 3, NPxl
Grand Master, Azure, pro build, GHv3, NPxl
Empress (dark), Pro ffie2.2, NPxl
Dark Apprentice LE V5, Xenopixel core 30 fonts *woot*
Sentinel LE V5, Xenopixel core, 30 fonts

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 04:02:38 PM »

Yep, same here.

Mystery boxes are a good recommendation if you're not sure what you want, and you're looking to try out US's quality. But since you do know what you want, I definitely recommend going with exactly what you want. It avoids the "this is nice but I really wish I had got that one other feature" regret. Especially if you're going to only get one or two sabers.

See below for my thoughts on sound. as far as Flash on Clast (FOC), it's nice, but I personally can take it or leave it. I usually get my sabers without.

Go with what you're comfortable with. But if you're going to light duel, you're going to need more than one saber (unless your friends see how awesome yours is and want one of their own).

I think that's true for most of us, which is one of the great things about US, they've got something for pretty much everyone's tastes.

It is a big investment, and then realize there are people here who own 10, 20, even more (I only have 12). My best advice on this is to only do it if you're absolutely sure it's going to be what's right for you. Now, on to the rest of my normal greeting and full advice:

Welcome to the party.

Apparently I'm one of the young'uns here at (almost) 46.

My advice based on what you've said so far:

1) Get two (2) sabers, although maybe not at the same time, but if you do get them at the same time, you can qualify for free stuff, depending on the total amount of the purchase before tax and shipping.

2) Get sound. Specifically get the Obsidian v4. Without sound, all you have is a very awesome glowstick. With sound, you have a lightsaber.

3) Get a recharge port. There are several very good reasons for this. First, you don't have to deal with taking the batteries out to charge them. Second, if you get Diamond/Emerald/Obsidian, you can have the saber plugged in while you're changing settings and not have to worry about the saber dying in the middle of it (the saber has to be turned on the entire time you have it connected to a computer).

4) Should you get Diamond or Emerald? That's up to you. Personally the whole blade color changing thing just doesn't do anything for me. I know a lot of people do like it and have a ton of fun with it, it's just not for me. If being able to change colors is something you want, then go for it.

5) Argument to help persuade the wife: Yes, you're getting a lightsaber. But it can be used for more than just swinging around with friends. One of the people who runs US, I can never remember which one, has a saber set up as mood lighting, with the relaxing sound of waves on a beach as the sound font for background noise. Or if you're in a Sith mood, you can have the relaxing sound of violent thunderstorms as the sound font for background noise. Or whatever sounds you want. So it can be used for more than just a pretty (awesome) wall display.

And that's pretty much it. You'll find we're a helpful bunch here, so if you have any questions about hilts/options/blades/etc., always feel free to ask. There is also a forum search function you can use if you're looking for specific information, although I recommend doing the searches in the individual sub-forums, as a full forum search can take a few minutes.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Thrindal
Force Sensitive

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 05:11:38 PM »

Welcome to the party.

Apparently I'm one of the young'uns here at (almost) 46.

My advice based on what you've said so far:

1) Get two (2) sabers, although maybe not at the same time, but if you do get them at the same time, you can qualify for free stuff, depending on the total amount of the purchase before tax and shipping.

2) Get sound. Specifically get the Obsidian v4. Without sound, all you have is a very awesome glowstick. With sound, you have a lightsaber.

Quick question on the Obsidian v4, does it have a Mute option?

5) Argument to help persuade the wife: Yes, you're getting a lightsaber. But it can be used for more than just swinging around with friends. One of the people who runs US, I can never remember which one, has a saber set up as mood lighting, with the relaxing sound of waves on a beach as the sound font for background noise. Or if you're in a Sith mood, you can have the relaxing sound of violent thunderstorms as the sound font for background noise. Or whatever sounds you want. So it can be used for more than just a pretty (awesome) wall display.

Those are neat ideas!  Thanks.

And that's pretty much it. You'll find we're a helpful bunch here, so if you have any questions about hilts/options/blades/etc., always feel free to ask. There is also a forum search function you can use if you're looking for specific information, although I recommend doing the searches in the individual sub-forums, as a full forum search can take a few minutes.

Thanks!  Not sure if you can answer this but what kind of promotions are in the usual rotation?  Just wondering because I don't think I will be pulling the trigger before the current promotion is over and just wondering what other promotions I might expect.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: