Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: I feel like the old guy although probably not...  (Read 4033 times)
Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 05:22:24 PM »

The summer raffle is coming up soon. Be a good time to get a saber. You could possibly win a  free one. I just won a Diamond Catalyst in the Spring Raffle that just ended.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 05:33:14 PM »

Check your pm. At the top of the page.

Drifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 146

May the force be with you

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »

Dam I missed the raffle lol when's the next 1?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

There's light in the darkness but there is also darkness in the light

Let the force decide

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 06:30:34 PM »

Summer raffle shouldn't be to far away. Besides, it's giving me time to get $$together for an entry.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »

I agree with pretty much everyone who’s already answered.  You’re not the oldest in the group, not by a long shot.  There are plenty of people here who, like me, have 50 in the rear-view mirror, so welcome!

I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever the count is by now) the recommendation to get the saber you want, and avoid the feeling of “yes, this is neat, but it’s just not what I was REALLY hoping for” as much as possible.

In 2014, I saw UltraSabers at a con, and I looked at a stunt (meaning no sound) Aeon LE V3.  I didn’t get sound because I hadn’t intended on buying ANYTHING at the con (for reasons that are irrelevant to this conversation), and the Aeon was already over my self-imposed general limit of $50 for impulse purchases.  As a result, ANY sound card was not an option, even if a stunt saber would be.  I went home that day not buying anything, and talked to my wife about buying the $80 saber.  She told me to go ahead, because she’d had no idea what to get me for my birthday, anyway.  I went back to the con the next day and did exactly that.

I was thrilled with my stunt saber... for a while.  I really, REALLY wanted sound, because like Sakura No Kaze said, if you don’t have sound, you have a really cool, sturdy, long-lasting glow stick that looks good in pictures, but you don’t feel like you have a light saber, ESPECIALLY if it’s your only one.

Five and a half years later, after planning, wishing, plotting, hoping, debating, LOTS OF STUDYING, and quite a bit of money-stashing, I bought a Diamond saber (an Azure Fallen, with Combat-Ready emitter).  Let me share my thought processes in how I went from owning an Aeon LE V5 stunt saber in Consular Green to owning that plus a Diamond saber and several others.  

I was originally thinking of getting my Aeon upgraded to sound, but for about the same money, I could get a $200 Mystery Box, and then have TWO sabers (which makes it lots easier to duel with a friend).  This "equivalent price" was based on the research that showed me that I wouldn't really be satisfied with an Obsidian Lite board, or even an Obsidian v3, because I have a Mac, and using the Obsidian Launcher on a Mac requires the Obsidian v4 board.  (Okay, it's only $10 more than the Obsidian v3 board for that option.)  Percolating on this allowed me to realize that ordering a Mystery Box expecting to get (read: counting on getting) the Obsidian v4 would be unfair both to myself and to UltraSabers, so that led to the realization that I should just get the saber I want, with the Obsidian v4 board.  

And then I continued to research other customization options, including the Tri-Cree (nixed because I wanted Flash On Clash) and the RGBW colors, which cost an extra bit, and the illuminated AV switch, which costs an extra bit. And then I continued to research customization options, and as I found out more and more about the Diamond controller, it soon became clear to me that, if this was going to be my "get what I want" saber, and perhaps my last saber (because while I'm not old enough for Social Security, I'm also not getting any younger, and I don't seem to be buying these things all that often), then I might as well get the Diamond controller, so that I can have whatever color blade I want, and so that I can have a whole HOST of font packages on board the saber at any given time, including MUTE.  And once I had made the decision on the Diamond controller, the price difference between the various hilts I wanted became somewhat of a moot point, so I got the Azure Fallen because that’s the one that was calling to me the strongest.  And because I bought during a Fall Giveaway sale (and because my buddy had me order a Fallen (the black one) with Diamond and other options), I ended up getting 4 free sabers with that order.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Thrindal
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 08:06:57 PM »

I agree with pretty much everyone who’s already answered.  You’re not the oldest in the group, not by a long shot.  There are plenty of people here who, like me, have 50 in the rear-view mirror, so welcome!

I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever the count is by now) the recommendation to get the saber you want, and avoid the feeling of “yes, this is neat, but it’s just not what I was REALLY hoping for” as much as possible.

In 2014, I saw UltraSabers at a con, and I looked at a stunt (meaning no sound) Aeon LE V3.  I didn’t get sound because I hadn’t intended on buying ANYTHING at the con (for reasons that are irrelevant to this conversation), and the Aeon was already over my self-imposed general limit of $50 for impulse purchases.  As a result, ANY sound card was not an option, even if a stunt saber would be.  I went home that day not buying anything, and talked to my wife about buying the $80 saber.  She told me to go ahead, because she’d had no idea what to get me for my birthday, anyway.  I went back to the con the next day and did exactly that.

I was thrilled with my stunt saber... for a while.  I really, REALLY wanted sound, because like Sakura No Kaze said, if you don’t have sound, you have a really cool, sturdy, long-lasting glow stick that looks good in pictures, but you don’t feel like you have a light saber, ESPECIALLY if it’s your only one.

Five and a half years later, after planning, wishing, plotting, hoping, debating, LOTS OF STUDYING, and quite a bit of money-stashing, I bought a Diamond saber (an Azure Fallen, with Combat-Ready emitter).  Let me share my thought processes in how I went from owning an Aeon LE V5 stunt saber in Consular Green to owning that plus a Diamond saber and several others.  

I was originally thinking of getting my Aeon upgraded to sound, but for about the same money, I could get a $200 Mystery Box, and then have TWO sabers (which makes it lots easier to duel with a friend).  This "equivalent price" was based on the research that showed me that I wouldn't really be satisfied with an Obsidian Lite board, or even an Obsidian v3, because I have a Mac, and using the Obsidian Launcher on a Mac requires the Obsidian v4 board.  (Okay, it's only $10 more than the Obsidian v3 board for that option.)  Percolating on this allowed me to realize that ordering a Mystery Box expecting to get (read: counting on getting) the Obsidian v4 would be unfair both to myself and to UltraSabers, so that led to the realization that I should just get the saber I want, with the Obsidian v4 board.  

And then I continued to research other customization options, including the Tri-Cree (nixed because I wanted Flash On Clash) and the RGBW colors, which cost an extra bit, and the illuminated AV switch, which costs an extra bit. And then I continued to research customization options, and as I found out more and more about the Diamond controller, it soon became clear to me that, if this was going to be my "get what I want" saber, and perhaps my last saber (because while I'm not old enough for Social Security, I'm also not getting any younger, and I don't seem to be buying these things all that often), then I might as well get the Diamond controller, so that I can have whatever color blade I want, and so that I can have a whole HOST of font packages on board the saber at any given time, including MUTE.  And once I had made the decision on the Diamond controller, the price difference between the various hilts I wanted became somewhat of a moot point, so I got the Azure Fallen because that’s the one that was calling to me the strongest.  And because I bought during a Fall Giveaway sale (and because my buddy had me order a Fallen (the black one) with Diamond and other options), I ended up getting 4 free sabers with that order.

Thanks for the feedback, those are all the considerations and thoughts I am having.  I feel like I am headed down the road you went down.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, those are all the considerations and thoughts I am having.  I feel like I am headed down the road you went down.

For me, it was well worth the wait.  May the Force be with you in your decision-making process.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »

Quick question on the Obsidian v4, does it have a Mute option?
Yes, and it's one of it's best features since you can swing the saber around at all hours without waking anyone else up (provided, unlike me, you don't knock somethings over).

Thanks!  Not sure if you can answer this but what kind of promotions are in the usual rotation?  Just wondering because I don't think I will be pulling the trigger before the current promotion is over and just wondering what other promotions I might expect.
The following are in no particular order, because I don't know what order US will do them in, and are based solely on past promotions.

Raffles - Spend a minimum amount before tax and shipping and be entered to win a free lightsaber. Anything from a stunt saber (lowest tier prize) to a full loaded with anything you want in the hilt of your choice saber (grand prize). US has given away anywhere between 50 and 100+ sabers in a raffle, so it's not like there's just one prize that everyone is trying to get. There are usually 3-5 raffles per year. As has been mentioned, the Summer one, if they do one, should be coming up soon. I'm pretty sure they will do one, but as I don't work for US, I have no way of knowing for certain.

Giveaways - Spend a minimum amount and get a free saber (or two, or three, or four, depending on which giveaway promotion is running, and how much you spend). The advantage to giveaways over raffles is that you're guaranteed to get something, but the advantage to the raffles is that you have a chance to get a much better saber than what they usually give away. This type of sale is what's going on now.

Discounts - Sometimes on complete sabers, sometimes on sound or other features, sometimes free shipping with minimum purchase, sometimes on something else I can't think of at the moment.

They basically rotate some variation of those throughout the year. There's some kind of sale going on pretty much all of the time. Personally I like to wait for raffles as I like the opportunity to win stuff (I'm 3 for 3 so far, two 4th place prizes and one 2nd place prize). But the giveaways are always good as well.

There's also:

Deal of the Day - If you go to the main site and click on the "Deal of the Day" link (next to the Build Your Own Lightsaber link), you'll see whatever individual hilts US has for sale (at the moment it's the Pre-sale for the Princess). Despite the name, sales can last anywhere from a day to a week or so. There's pretty much always 1-3 sabers on sale for the Deal of the Day, usually $10 off, sometimes $15, rarely $20.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 10:14:37 PM »

Greetings Thrindal, hope this communication finds you well (considering events on our planet since your last post). I don't know if it's more for your benefit or my own I reply but there is the possibility it will be helpful. I understand feeling old from a societal perspective. The young more often than not relegate older individuals than themselves to the blanket category of "old". Being over 30 I can commiserate on that point (and even remember that viewpoint from my teens/ 20's). But as stated in a post earlier "you're only as old as you feel". So if you happen to have grandkids who could enjoy learning moves and bonding with Grandpa all the better. If it's just a collectable then enjoy it for what it's worth. I made my 1st purchase a few weeks ago and eagerly await it. I agree it is about budget VS expectations. I plan to spar (possibly rather heavily) so I went with a Heavy Grade blade for durability. I'm closer to Sith alignment so a darker, more menacing hilt, pommel, and emitter. Researching made me see I like many v4 sabers (universally MSH compatible I believe) so parts I order will be interchangeable if I plan accordingly. Ideally I want sound and flash on clash, but just incase I destroy the 1st one training I went with a stunt saber first (also saving money). BUT I further expanded that thought to "If this is my entry level saber lets try Adegan Silver" to see if I like the result. Because I played games with a silver crystal in my blade, agree with Grey Jedi Philosophy, but it's a poor man's option on no sound color change. If interested I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.  Most importantly, since you asked there is a Raffle currently running if you order in the next 11 days, before 11/20/2020. If this is in any way helpful great. May the Force be With You, Always.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: