Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Got really lucky with a Grab Bag....kinda  (Read 2964 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: June 26, 2020, 10:57:55 PM »

First the setup: I've been saving my Reward Points so I could order a blade-less Grab bag for free(+shipping).
I placed my order on Monday, fully expecting it to take some time.
But it arrived today just 4 days later, so that's the first bit of luck.

I fully intended to resell the GB if it wasn't a hilt or color I liked.
I expected to get something no better than a V4.
But this is what I got:

That's a Dark Standard Issue with engraving lines and AV switch upgrade! Over $100 value. Sweet.
It's also in Blazing Red, which is not a color I have in my collection, unless you count my RGB that's processing or my VA Sentinel v5 using a color disc.
But this is a "dedicated" Red that I can keep my Red day blade in primarily for display.

The Force was definitely with me on this order.

Now for the "kinda" part. Grab Bag are typically odd sabers that either have blemishes or other minor imperfections, which is disclosed on the website.
Check this out:

Yep, those are 2 AAs, not AAAs or Li-ions.
I'm cool with that, but it means I have to order some Eneloop AAs because all my current Nihm rechargeables are AAAs.
Slightly inconvenient, but even if it had AAAs keeping it would mean I'd eventually want to get more batteries anyway.
Glad my chargers fit both types.

Just wanted to share and say how awesome US continues to be.

-

GingerWizard
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 11:22:37 PM »

First the setup: I've been saving my Reward Points so I could order a blade-less Grab bag for free(+shipping).

But this is what I got:

That's a Dark Standard Issue with engraving lines and AV switch upgrade! Over $100 value. Sweet.
It's also in Blazing Red, which is not a color I have in my collection, unless you count my RGB that's processing or my VA Sentinel v5 using a color disc.
But this is a "dedicated" Red that I can keep my Red day blade in primarily for display.

Now for the "kinda" part. Grab Bag are typically odd sabers that either have blemishes or other minor imperfections, which is disclosed on the website.
Check this out:

I'm cool with that, but it means I have to order some Eneloop AAs because all my current Nihm rechargeables are AAAs.
Slightly inconvenient, but even if it had AAAs keeping it would mean I'd eventually want to get more batteries anyway.

-
Oh that's awesome. The Dark standard issue looks so much cooler than I imagined. The force was most definitely with you on that order. I am a little envious that yours takes AA. I go through triple A's was to quick and they expensive lol also I love the red blade, or is that a fire orange?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 11:26:26 PM »

It's definitely Red, but my camera shows it orange when it's over exposed.

I recommend getting some rechargeable Eneloop pro AAAs.

-

GingerWizard
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:27:40 PM »

It's definitely Red, but my camera shows it orange when it's over exposed.

I recommend getting some rechargeable Eneloop pro AAAs.

-
Well it looks amazing. Where did you find an actual red blade like that? Ive never seen those.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 11:50:56 PM »

Well it looks amazing. Where did you find an actual red blade like that? Ive never seen those.

Day blades are available from TCSS, the only other saber-related forum we are allowed to mention by name.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

GingerWizard
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 12:04:53 AM »

Day blades are available from TCSS, the only other saber-related forum we are allowed to mention by name.
Hey thanks Cyc, yeah ima have to check that out. Cause those are legit.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 12:24:19 AM »

Hey Cyclops, do you think Eneloop AAs will be fine for this?
I'm worried the voltage might not be right. I know I can't use Li-ions and can use regular alkaline AAs. So hopefully Nihm rechargeables will work

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 02:38:47 AM »

I'm worried the voltage might not be right. I know I can't use Li-ions and can use regular alkaline AAs. So hopefully Nihm rechargeables will work

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!  And I’d go with the Eneloop Pro series on this, too, because they’ll handle the high current drain the saber’s LED will pull better than the standard Eneloops.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 02:41:31 AM »

First, you got the third best saber US offers (second would have been a Dark Liberator, first would have been a DSI without the grooves).

And from what I can find on the internets, the Eneloop Pro AA actually have a lower voltage than "regular" AA batteries (~1.2 vs. ~1.5).

Edit: And this time Cyclops beat me to it  Wink

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 04:46:05 AM »

First, you got the third best saber US offers (second would have been a Dark Liberator, first would have been a DSI without the grooves).
Interesting. As much as I'm please with the hilt, I'm not sure I'd rank any of those that high. I like sabers with fiddly bits like windows, choke points, etc. The final crown jewel of my collection is going to be a Crimson Scorpion, for example.
Is it the smoothness of those that appeals to you?

And from what I can find on the internets, the Eneloop Pro AA actually have a lower voltage than "regular" AA batteries (~1.2 vs. ~1.5).
That's my fear. I think I read that the Red LED requires a minimum of 2.6v. Two 1.2v AAs will be only 2.4v, so that's not enough.

-

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 07:25:10 AM »

Interesting. As much as I'm please with the hilt, I'm not sure I'd rank any of those that high. I like sabers with fiddly bits like windows, choke points, etc. The final crown jewel of my collection is going to be a Crimson Scorpion, for example.
Is it the smoothness of those that appeals to you?

I have all of the sabers I listed above (both versions of the DSI, and the Dark Liberator), as well as a couple of Sentinels, Dark Apprentices, a Dark Initiate v4, a Dominix v3, and a Dark War Glaive (as well as a Mantis and Archon v3.1, but we don't talk about those).

So yes, my criteria for sabers is comfort and functionality in combat first, and it looking pretty... well never.

Choke points are well and good, as long as they're comfortable, which is why I greatly prefer the Dominx/Aeon/Initiate v3's over the v4 and v5 versions.

Windows I can take or leave, I'm not against them, but I don't go out of my way to get them either. The sabers I have with windows (Sentinels) I got in grab bags/mystery boxes.

Pretty much all other "doodads" like screws, knobs, covertec wheels, etc. I avoid as they get in the way of my hands. Which means I'll never intentionally get a saber that has a mandatory covertec wheel (but I'm not going to turn one down if I win it in a raffle or get it in a mystery box either).

I like the DSI (and as I've said in other threads, I GREATLY prefer the version without grooves) because of it's simplicity of design with a touch of style from the slanted emitter and it's ease and comfort in handling (and it does spin great). It was also the first saber I ever purchased.

I would probably have never picked the Liberator on my own, but I got one as a grab bag and loved it so much that I immediately ordered a Dark version, Obsidian v4 sound, Hot Pink LED.

And yes, I know the Dark War Glaive stands out on that list because of the claws. But I use it on a single yari extension, basically a nagamaki, so the claws are much less of a handling issue. And it actually is quite comfortable just as a saber.

As for your Scorpion pick... it's a pretty saber, but I'd never buy one, pretty much for the reasons above. I'd have to remove the claw and replace the pommel with a much simpler one that didn't poke my hand holding the saber, and by then half of what makes the Scorpion what it is would be gone. Plus it comes standard with a covertec wheel so that also rules it out.

Of course all of the above is only my opinion and personal tastes. You should absolutely get what you want and like, and be happy with it. And it illustrates one of the great things about US, they have a saber for pretty much everyone's tastes.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »

That's fair. And one of the best things about US is that there's a saber (or sabers) for everyone's taste.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 12:31:07 PM »

But this is what I got:

Check this out:

-

That's awesome, Galef!  Originally I'd overlooked the Standard Issue line, thinking it too plain.  However after seeing numerous pics from members--yours being the most recent--I'm convinced that I'll be getting that hilt in an upcoming order (who knows: maybe I'll luck out like you with a future Grab Bag/Mystery Box  Smiley)!  Beautiful hilt!

Here's a congratulatory point for your amazing pull  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »

Great pull Galef, that's totally one of the best grab bags I've seen. BR is a great color blade for that particular saber. Have a point.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 05:06:42 AM »

You now have officially got very lucky with getting this saber, as they are now out of stock. Along with the "Regular" Standard Issue, both Liberators, all versions of the Initiate/Aeon/Dominix v3's, and both Prophecies.

Hey, those are also the most common sabers to receive in a grab bag. What are the odds? Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: