Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Question about blades with the Diamond controller  (Read 1628 times)
eomund
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: June 30, 2020, 05:45:53 AM »

So I picked up the Initiate Lv5 blade with the diamond controller. My order says it has a stunt blade but everything I read says the stunt blades only come without sound.

I mainly want to know what kinda play/fighting I can do with it safely. Obviously I don't plan on beating the tar out of the thing. But I would like to smack it around with my friend who also has some sabers.

Also, really dig my new blade.

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »

So I picked up the Initiate Lv5 blade with the diamond controller. My order says it has a stunt blade but everything I read says the stunt blades only come without sound.

I mainly want to know what kinda play/fighting I can do with it safely. Obviously I don't plan on beating the tar out of the thing. But I would like to smack it around with my friend who also has some sabers.

I heavy duel alot with mine and with the heavy blades in my staff set up besides some knicks no issues

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 02:11:00 PM »

“Stunt” does not refer to the blade at all; it refers to the saber (hilt) and whether or not it has sound.  So if you have the Diamond controller, then the reference to “stunt” in the paperwork would merely be a reflection of the ordering process, because it started of as a saber without sound, and then you added the Diamond controller at a later step.

The blades for all sabers are suitable for dueling.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »

The blade should be one of four types: Mid-Grade, UltraEdge Mid-Grade, Heavy Grade, or UltraEdge Heavy Grade.

Mid-Grade blades can take up to moderate dueling, although be aware that because they are so thin, they will flex some. This in itself is not an issue, but it is possible for the blade film inside to get wrinkled. Heavy Grade blades in general can talk almost any amount of force while dueling. They are not completely indestructible, but it takes A LOT.

Chances are, if you actually manage to break either type of blade, it's going to be near the tip, or have the tip come off (a full explanation of why can be found here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=45229.0 )

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

eomund
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 05:29:05 PM »

The blade should be one of four types: Mid-Grade, UltraEdge Mid-Grade, Heavy Grade, or UltraEdge Heavy Grade.

Mid-Grade blades can take up to moderate dueling, although be aware that because they are so thin, they will flex some. This in itself is not an issue, but it is possible for the blade film inside to get wrinkled. Heavy Grade blades in general can talk almost any amount of force while dueling. They are not completely indestructible, but it takes A LOT.

Chances are, if you actually manage to break either type of blade, it's going to be near the tip, or have the tip come off (a full explanation of why can be found here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=45229.0 )

I got mine with the heavy blade.thats not my main concern though.its the pricey electronics in the handle that I don't want to break.thats what I wanna know will hold up to abuse with.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »

I got mine with the heavy blade.thats not my main concern though.its the pricey electronics in the handle that I don't want to break.thats what I wanna know will hold up to abuse with.

Then why did you ask about the blades?

Anyway... that’s not really relevant to your actual question, so here goes.  As with any electronics, there is some fragility.  HOWEVER, US uses epoxy over their boards, which helps keep the stuff that was originally soldered to the board, REMAIN soldered to the board.  The speaker helps keep the board assembly steady within the hilt, because it’s a snug fit.  From my personal experience, your biggest area of risk is the batteries getting jarred loose, so if you secure them by wrapping them, that’ll handle all but the worst abuse.  (Some folks use electrical tape, but I prefer Velcro tape, because it doesn’t leave that nasty residue that electrical tape does.).

OTHER FOLKS WHO DUEL MORE MAY HAVE DIFFERENT ADVICE TO GIVE, so keep looking here for more replies.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 07:03:16 PM »

I don't have a Diamond saber, but I use my saber with Obsidian v3 at least once a week for 2-4 hours of full speed, full contact sparring. I've been doing this for the last 5+ years with that saber and the board is as good as it was the day I received it. And yes, it's been dropped, A LOT, on everything from carpet to concrete, as well as been used for violent attempts to break a Heavy Grade blade on solid objects like other sabers, polypropeline (probably spelled wrong) practice swords, and boulder sized rocks.

What you want to do is make sure the battery pack doesn't rattle in the hilt. Personally I have the batteries wrapped in electrical tape to hold them in, and then a thick piece of Velcro around that to keep it from rattling at all. I do have a recharge port on it, so I never have to worry about taking anything out, so it sits in place pretty much permanently.

If you don't have a recharge port, I suggest doing the above wrapping with electrical tape and Velcro, with an additional pull tab around the Velcro that you can easily use to pull the battery pack out to charge the batteries or mess with the Diamond board. Yes, there might be sticky stuff from the electrical tape, but in my opinion, it's worth it to ensure that the batteries don't come loose or pop out during hard sparring. A zip tie pulled as tight as possible will also work if you don't want to use electrical tape.

Is the board indestructible? No. And if you flip the saber over, hold it by the blade, and smash the hilt repeatedly on concrete as hard as you can, yes, that might damage the board (and void the warranty). But US does advertise, and pride itself on, it's combat grade sabers. The entire saber, hilt, blade, and electronics, is made to be able to take a lot impacts and vibrations from sparring/duelling.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

SandmanLLL
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 07:24:07 PM »

I wonder what would happen if you just filled up the entire hilt with some sort of hard spray foam.  With a recharge port and after checking all the connections and covering any exposed wires obviously.

I wonder if it would act as a stabilizer for the electronics or if it would just break down with use and become a mess..... hahahahha probably the later.

Chassis' are probably better all around.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »

I wonder what would happen if you just filled up the entire hilt with some sort of hard spray foam.  With a recharge port and after checking all the connections and covering any exposed wires obviously.

I wonder if it would act as a stabilizer for the electronics or if it would just break down with use and become a mess..... hahahahha probably the later.

Chassis' are probably better all around.

I wouldn't suggest doing that for a few reasons:

1) It would absorb at lot of the impact vibrations, which could cause things like Flash on Clash and lock-up sounds to not work.

2) Eventually the vibrations would cause it to break up and crumble, which would be a mess.

3) I'm going to guess that it would probably void the warranty. A lot.

4) You also don't want to cover the speaker, for obvious reasons.

5) You'd lose the ability to connect to a computer to make any changes you wanted to whatever board you had in the saber.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 08:14:51 PM »

It would also act as an insulator and quite likely overheat the board.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

SandmanLLL
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 08:32:53 PM »

Hahahhaha.  Yeah I think it would probably burst into flames... Smiley .... Although I guess that stuff is supposed to be flame resistant for obvious reasons.

I just got struck when reading OP's issue that it seems like something someone would do....  Shocked

it would be good for a laugh if nothing else.

eomund
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 10:13:02 PM »

Thanks for the info gents.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: