Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: lightsaber main gouche anyone?  (Read 1982 times)
eomund
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: June 30, 2020, 05:57:32 AM »

So I now  I've got my saber, i like it's weight and am having fun with it. I've been fencing for about 20 years now in a few different disciplines. Due to a recent injury I'm wondering about playing with a rapier / main gouche setup.

In order to do this the way I want I have 2 questions.

First, I'm wondering which model hilt is the shortest. I want the gouche to be a 1 handed blade.

Second, I want the blade to be max 12" long. Has anyone cut these blades down? If so, what kind of issues might I expect. I know the blades are coated on the insides, so I just want to know if there might be a problem if I do, like flaking or something.

Thanks for the tips!

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 06:12:50 AM »

So I now  I've got my saber, i like it's weight and am having fun with it. I've been fencing for about 20 years now in a few different disciplines. Due to a recent injury I'm wondering about playing with a rapier / main gouche setup.

In order to do this the way I want I have 2 questions.

First, I'm wondering which model hilt is the shortest. I want the gouche to be a 1 handed blade.

Second, I want the blade to be max 12" long. Has anyone cut these blades down? If so, what kind of issues might I expect. I know the blades are coated on the insides, so I just want to know if there might be a problem if I do, like flaking or something.

Thanks for the tips!
to your first question in versed enough to answer ( i have only been taking HEMA fencing for about 11 months and just got my first light sabers )

( first time ) I just cut down 2 heavy grade blades in less then 15 min , carfully removed the film, place cotton up to above cut line to keep cut dust from entering blade , used a hacksaw with fine tooth metal cut blade in it, took my time, blew out blade caned air, remove cotton , cut film made sure it was roled up tight slipped back into blades and done, any size you want sticking out of emitter so my saber takes up 3" of blade + 28" as im running a staff, take your time

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:25:07 AM »

Or the cleaner way to cut them is with a pipe cutter. The small cheap ones from any hardware store work well. Use it to cut the poly carbonate tube then pull the film out just enough to cut it with a pair of heavy scissors. Saves the chances of getting dust in the blade and is easier than fully reinserting removed film.

The shortest Ultrasaber is the initiate v2. Although as I understood a gauche should have guards for controlling an opponents blade. TCSS has parts to achieve this.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

eomund
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:46:14 AM »

Or the cleaner way to cut them is with a pipe cutter. The small cheap ones from any hardware store work well. Use it to cut the poly carbonate tube then pull the film out just enough to cut it with a pair of heavy scissors. Saves the chances of getting dust in the blade and is easier than fully reinserting removed film.

The shortest Ultrasaber is the initiate v2. Although as I understood a gauche should have guards for controlling an opponents blade. TCSS has parts to achieve this.

Typically gauches have a guard ya. But in this case I'm not doing one. If sabers were real, they'd cut right through one. Thanks for the tips. I do have a pipe cutter.

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »

Dam i did not think of the pipe cutter. as always firehand you  provide better and more accurate information ( bows )

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:49:37 PM »

Typically gauches have a guard ya. But in this case I'm not doing one. If sabers were real, they'd cut right through one. Thanks for the tips. I do have a pipe cutter.

Wouldn't cut through the guards if they were saber beams like Kylo Ren's. That's the type I was referring to. There's a way to do it by scaling down a Flamberge handle but it still has a big splitter portion. 

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 08:22:06 PM »

Wouldn't cut through the guards if they were saber beams like Kylo Ren's. That's the type I was referring to. There's a way to do it by scaling down a Flamberge handle but it still has a big splitter portion. 
Or if they were made of cortosis (jedi knight : jedi outcast).

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 07:30:30 AM »

Dam, as always firehand you  provide better and more accurate information ( bows )

I could not agree with you more.  I always miss a specific detail.  Firehand does not seem to suffer the same problem.  The man knows his stuff.
 Point to both of ya.

DOA40
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -19

Peace Is a Lie

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 12:37:07 PM »

I would point out that one of the other competition companies makes a Rapier-style lightsaber.  Sadly, it is currently "Out of Stock".  If it wasn't, this would be another saber that I would be adding to my slowly growing collection, as I have loved Rapiers since seeing "The Princess Bride" and Inigo Montoya's six-fingered Rapier.

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and leave everyone wondering how in the hell you did that.

Current Blades Owned:

Arbiter-Basic Sound Mystery Box-Fire Orange

Dark Mantis-Basic Sound Saber-Violet Amethyst

Emperor's Hand-Emerald Sound Saber-Consular Green

Renegade LE-Premium Sound Saber-Blazing Red

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »

[...] I have loved Rapiers since seeing "The Princess Bride" and Inigo Montoya's six-fingered Rapier.

Well, of course you have!  Who hasn’t?!?

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

eomund
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »

I would point out that one of the other competition companies makes a Rapier-style lightsaber.  Sadly, it is currently "Out of Stock".  If it wasn't, this would be another saber that I would be adding to my slowly growing collection, as I have loved Rapiers since seeing "The Princess Bride" and Inigo Montoya's six-fingered Rapier.

Less fun but quality. Give the movie the dualists a look.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: