Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Li-Ion Battery Management for Large Collections  (Read 1347 times)
MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« on: July 02, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »

For those of you who have large collections of Li-Ion setups, how do you manage your batteries?  I know you're supposed to either keep them plugged in via recharge port or keep the batteries in the charger, but with a large collection it becomes a bit overwhelming / impossible to keep dozens of batteries constantly on charge.  Is charging the batteries fully and then removing them the best option in such a case?  What have you guys found to be the best solution?

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Fatalis
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 60

Good..Bad...I'm the guy with the saber!

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »

For those of you who have large collections of Li-Ion setups, how do you manage your batteries?  I know you're supposed to either keep them plugged in via recharge port or keep the batteries in the charger, but with a large collection it becomes a bit overwhelming / impossible to keep dozens of batteries constantly on charge.  Is charging the batteries fully and then removing them the best option in such a case?  What have you guys found to be the best solution?

Great post. I also would like to know this.

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 02:19:40 PM »

Before I knew that keeping them in the charger was a "must do" I just always ordered spare batteries.
I also made the mistake of ordering a stunt staff in Li-ions, which for some reason drain the batteries far faster when idle than either of our V4 sound sabers.

Needless to say, I've sold that staff and will always get stunts in Standard from now on.

I only have 2 sabers now with Li-ion setup and 1 spare set of batteries. The spare set seems to hold most of its charge even when not in the charger. It only drops about 2% per week.
So I just swap them out each week.

For larger collections, I'd recommend getting Xtar vc4 chargers as they have 4 bays, so you'll need less charges plugged at once.
Just keep spares in the charger and swap every week or so

-

Fatalis
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 60

Good..Bad...I'm the guy with the saber!

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »

Before I knew that keeping them in the charger was a "must do" I just always ordered spare batteries.
I also made the mistake of ordering a stunt staff in Li-ions, which for some reason drain the batteries far faster when idle than either of our V4 sound sabers.

Needless to say, I've sold that staff and will always get stunts in Standard from now on.

I only have 2 sabers now with Li-ion setup and 1 spare set of batteries. The spare set seems to hold most of its charge even when not in the charger. It only drops about 2% per week.
So I just swap them out each week.

For larger collections, I'd recommend getting Xtar vc4 chargers as they have 4 bays, so you'll need less charges plugged at once.
Just keep spares in the charger and swap every week or so

-

I have 12 Li-on batteries with 3 2 bay chargers. Waiting on a VC4 andwill get another one later, but I agree... standard will be my next stunt purchase.

GeneralMalice-
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 83

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 01:15:28 AM »

I have a Xtar V8 that you can get for 3 large pizzas not to bad and has all the bells on it.

DarthTrav23
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -1

Chaotic Neutral to the core.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 04:18:00 AM »

Wait so my sabers needs to be constantly plugged in via recharge port when not in use??? Am I understanding this right?

Currently awaiting

The Fallen - RGBW w/ diamond controller

eomund
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 05:22:43 AM »

Little bit of battery knowledge to drop here.

If the saber is not going to be used, yes you don't want to store it with the batteries in it. The reason is if the battery has any problems, gains corrosion, leaks it'll destroy what it's in. So that's a yes. Store it with no batteries.

As for storing it in the charger, negative red rider. The included charger charges till full and stops charging it. It doesn't keep supplying power, and doesn't monitor the battery level keeping it full like a battery tender. So if you keep it in the charger, it'll do about the same as charging it and pulling it from the charger and storing it.

My recommendations with the batteries are 2 fold. 1, it's best if you use the batteries and rotate them as you use them. You don't want too many sets of batteries because that is just a nightmare. IF you want to store your batteries. I recommend keeping them in the fridge. Heat makes the batteries dissipate faster and wears them out faster. So keeping them cool helps keep them longer.

DarthTrav23
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »

If the saber is not going to be used, yes you don't want to store it with the batteries in it. The reason is if the battery has any problems, gains corrosion, leaks it'll destroy what it's in. So that's a yes. Store it with no batteries.

As for storing it in the charger, negative red rider. The included charger charges till full and stops charging it. It doesn't keep supplying power, and doesn't monitor the battery level keeping it full like a battery tender. So if you keep it in the charger, it'll do about the same as charging it and pulling it from the charger and storing it.

My recommendations with the batteries are 2 fold. 1, it's best if you use the batteries and rotate them as you use them. You don't want too many sets of batteries because that is just a nightmare. IF you want to store your batteries. I recommend keeping them in the fridge. Heat makes the batteries dissipate faster and wears them out faster. So keeping them cool helps keep them longer.

Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.
Have a point on me!

Currently awaiting

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 02:57:08 PM »

Nope... the XTAR charger actually will keep the batteries topped off (read the manual), and so will the charger that comes with the recharge port.  Neither lithium-ion batteries nor Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries benefit from being stored below room temperature. Also, if you are using either NiMH or Li-Ion batteries, the risk of corrosion and leakage is GREATly reduced compared to alkaline batteries.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

DarthTrav23
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »

Nope... the XTAR charger actually will keep the batteries topped off (read the manual), and so will the charger that comes with the recharge port.  Neither lithium-ion batteries nor Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries benefit from being stored below room temperature. Also, if you are using either NiMH or Li-Ion batteries, the risk of corrosion and leakage is GREATly reduced compared to alkaline batteries.

Oh okay. Awesome. Thank you!

Currently awaiting

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: