Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help: Newbie trying to change LEDs on stunt saber  (Read 972 times)
Sovaa
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: July 03, 2020, 10:08:48 PM »

So I'm looking into changing the LEDs on my stunt Apprentice V4... The thing is I'm completely new to this and I don't know much about soldering. So of course I have a question or two..

• How difficult would swapping the LED module be for someone like me who is completely new to this? I'm willing to learn how to do so and if anyone can point me in the right direction (guides, videos, tips, advice, etc.) I would appreciate it.
  • I wouldn't have to completely gut the hilt just to change the LED module, right? I'm able to pull out the current LED module with the wires still attached on it and I figured if I was only changing the LEDs, all I'd have to do is snip the wires and solder them onto the new module.
  • When swapping the LEDs, would it matter or would there be any issues if the previous one was a TriCree and I want to switch to a non TriCree? Right now it's TriCree fire orange and I want to switch it to blue violet amethyst.  I noticed there are more wires involved with a TriCree setup than a non TriCree.

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:11:06 PM »

you will have an answer soon most likely from firehand

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 11:05:43 PM »

When one is willing to learn and assuming they have the patience to do so nothing on these sabers is too difficult.
To simply change the LED one would typically not need to gut the entire saber. It is generally as easy as snipping the wires and soldering to the new module or adding in quick connects. Make sure to insulate any wire connections with heat shrink tube.
There shouldn't be an issue swapping but I recommend checking the resistor values. If it's the same as ones I've done before US uses a standard resistor on the main line in the saber then secondary ones near the module to mix colors. Your orange should have just the main one. Then if you use a US blue violet Amethyst module it should come with the mixing resistors attached. So pull the LlED out to where all the extra tri wires go back together in one red and one black to cut and connect there.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Dirtbagleader
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 01:35:17 PM »

Soldering is an excellent skill to have at your disposal; I applaud you undertaking this project if just to start learning how to solder.  Fortunately, it's also pretty easy and cheap to do.  Watch a youtube video or two, make sure you have a clean tip up to temperature, then start practicing on some scrap wires/resistors/etc. to get the feel for it. Remember you want to head/feed solder to the joint itself, not the tip of the iron.  I bet within 15 minutes you'll have the confidence to be ready to start snipping and working on your actual saber.  Good luck!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: