Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Phantasm Initiate V2 or V4?  (Read 1035 times)
Space Mom
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« on: July 08, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »

I am planning to buy a double -bladed Ultrasaber and the Phantasm Initiate V2 & V4 are the ones I am considering, and need some help deciding between them. I am interested in trying out spinning & light sparring--as a complete beginner. Primarily, however, I will use it as a cosplay prop and photoshoots. (Rebel Legion member)
The V4 LE would match my Aeon LE V4 for dual wielding, which would be cool, but since I do want to learn spinning, whichever one is better for that would tip the scales.

Other questions:
1) Should I avoid the windows, which my Aeon has,  if I want to spar/spin with the V4? I recall reading that the edges can be sharp. I have not had a problem with my Aeon.
2) Blade length--initiate or 32"? I am a 5'5" woman. My hands are small, and my legs are a bit shorter than average. (I wear petite length pants which are generally for 5 '3" and under height.)

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:00:36 PM »

I am planning to buy a double -bladed Ultrasaber and the Phantasm Initiate V2 & V4 are the ones I am considering, and need some help deciding between them. I am interested in trying out spinning & light sparring--as a complete beginner. Primarily, however, I will use it as a cosplay prop and photoshoots. (Rebel Legion member)
The V4 LE would match my Aeon LE V4 for dual wielding, which would be cool, but since I do want to learn spinning, whichever one is better for that would tip the scales.

Other questions:
1) Should I avoid the windows, which my Aeon has,  if I want to spar/spin with the V4? I recall reading that the edges can be sharp. I have not had a problem with my Aeon.
2) Blade length--initiate or 32"? I am a 5'5" woman. My hands are small, and my legs are a bit shorter than average. (I wear petite length pants which are generally for 5 '3" and under height.)

I am a staff only person. rule of thumb is staff should equal no more then your height . i will look up the specs on your choice . ok your looking at aprox 19" (-/+) of hilt leaves you 44" for blades so i suggest 24" blades qith the chance they may need to be cut down more . as for windows thats a person choice, that are on the ends and not near " normal" hand placement and i strongly suggest av switches. good luck

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »

Neither is really "better" since either can be spun. However, generally speaking having choke points on the saber is generally preferred for spinning, which would favor the v4. Ideally you'd get the v3, which, in my opinion, is MUCH better than the v2 or v4 (or v5 for that matter), but I know they're out of stock.

Other questions:
1) Should I avoid the windows, which my Aeon has,  if I want to spar/spin with the V4? I recall reading that the edges can be sharp. I have not had a problem with my Aeon.
No, although if you don't like the windows, then don't get them. But having them makes little difference. While it's possible there will be a sharp edge, it's fairly rare to run into, and even if you do get one like that, you can simply file the edge down to smooth it out.

Without doing the math, I'm going to say at your height go with the 24" Initiate blades. That will give you a staff that's only a couple of inches shorter than you are (fine, I did the math). Hilts are 18.75" with standard coupler, plus two 24" blades, minus 2" for blade length lost inside each emitter equals about 62" and you're 65" tall, so that will probably work well for you. By comparison, with 32" blades, you'd be looking at a saber which is about 80". While you could spin it, I doubt it would be as easy or comfortable as the shorter one.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »

My granddaughter is 59" tall and uses a 60" x 1" heavy staff and  has had no issues but to fair not everyone has a private instructor

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 04:14:01 PM »

I've had both and I think the deciding factor should be whether you intend to keep it as a staff most of the time (get the V2) or if you are likely to dual wield often (get the V4 with Quick Release coupler)

Also if you want good choke points, I'd recommend the Apprentice V4 staff over the Phantasm Initiate V4.
The Phantasm initiate V4 has great choke points right where the windows are placed, but the choke point right above the switch section is less than ideal because it's too short and hard edged.
The Apprentice V4 choke point is both comfortable and ideally placed before the emitter section.

The only advantages the V2s have are that they are the shortest sabers offered, so the staff is quite compact and makes spinning must faster.
But I'd recommend upgrading to the 32" blades in either case and cut them to your preferred size.
24" is too small IMO, even if you are only 5'5". I'm 5'10" and 28" blades feel right for my Apprentice V4 staff with QR coupler.
If you go with the V2 initiate staff, 28" blades will be about the same proportion.

-

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »

Also if you want good choke points, I'd recommend the Apprentice V4 staff over the Phantasm Initiate V4.
The Phantasm initiate V4 has great choke points right where the windows are placed, but the choke point right above the switch section is less than ideal because it's too short and hard edged.
The Apprentice V4 choke point is both comfortable and ideally placed before the emitter section.

Yes, but the Initiate v3 is even better than the Apprentice v4. But I will say I prefer the Apprentice v4 over the Initiate v4.

On the other hand, I can spin a DSI with no issues and it has no choke points.

The only reason I would ever recommend the v2's is for smaller hands since it's a smaller diameter, but if you have no trouble with your Aeon, then you'll be fine with either the Initiate or Apprentice v4's.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: