Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Brand New Saber making strange noises  (Read 1019 times)
wizzy
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: July 08, 2020, 10:02:10 PM »

Hello,
My first lightsaber arrived yesterday and I absolutely love it but after 5 minutes of admiring it and doing basic forms, it started whispering 'Obsidian' (and 'confirmed' i think) and now the saber doesn't sound right when I turned it on. I was wondering whether this is due to the batteries running low (I have ordered a li-ion battery charger because my order didn't come with one for some reason) or a problem with the soundboard. I don't really want to try poking around with the soundboard in case i break it or something so has anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks in advance (:
Izzy

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 02:22:49 AM »

When it starts saying "Obsidian" it usually means the batteries are running low. You're lucky though, the first time I heard it I could have sworn it said "you're an idiot."

The only other thing I can think of is if it's a Diamond board, you may be making some motion that triggers something, because, as I understand it, there are several hundred subtly different gestures that can trigger a couple hundred thousand different sounds/colors/strobes/seizures/flashes/disco balls.

But yes, it's probably the batteries.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

wizzy
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 02:29:48 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I tried charging the batteries but the saber still sounds wrong. It's really hard to explain but it sounds crackly . It wasn't making sounds like this when i first turned it on. I'm really worried because it would so annoying if my first saber broke after less than a day. I live in the UK so shipping it back for repairs or something would be expensive and i know absolutely nothing about electronics. I might try charging the batteries for 24 hours and seeing if that makes a difference

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 06:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I tried charging the batteries but the saber still sounds wrong. It's really hard to explain but it sounds crackly . It wasn't making sounds like this when i first turned it on. I'm really worried because it would so annoying if my first saber broke after less than a day. I live in the UK so shipping it back for repairs or something would be expensive and i know absolutely nothing about electronics. I might try charging the batteries for 24 hours and seeing if that makes a difference

One thing I should probably have asked first is which Obsidian board you have. I presume it's an Obsidian v4? If so, there are a couple of sound fonts on that it comes with that are supposed to sound crackly. But if they all sound that way, then yes, there might be an issue.

Other things to check after the batteries are fully charged and if there is still an issue:

Make sure the batteries are sitting completely flush in the holder. They will sometimes have a tendency to pop up slightly and not make full contact. This can be fixed by wrapping something around them to hold them down. My personal preference for this is electrical tape, but zip ties or a Velcro strap can work as well. Also make sure the battery pack isn't cracked on either end, which would allow the batteries to push the end out. It's fairly rare that this happens, but it can happen.

Make sure the speaker is fully attached to the battery holder, and that there's no obvious damage to it. Make sure the wiring to it is secure and in good condition.

Also make sure there's no foreign debris in the hilt that could be blocking the sound. I don't know what hilt you have, but some of them have larger holes in the pommel, and sometimes stuff gets in. Also check in the pommel to make sure there's nothing in it blocking the holes. Probably not the case since you've been taking the batteries out to charge, but it never hurts to double check.

Yes, it's possible that the speaker is damaged or defective. And yes, that absolutely sucks. It is covered under warranty should you elect to have US fix it. From what I've seen, speaker replacement isn't difficult, so you could probably do it yourself if you chose to. But be aware that doing so would void your warranty completely.

Hopefully it's just the batteries though.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

wizzy
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:07:41 PM »

Hi thanks for all of your help.
Turns out that I was holding the power button down and the saber changed to the ancient saber sound, that's why it sounded different! I didn't realise that it could do that (I feel like such an idiot haha). But I have managed to change it back to its default setting so problem solved

Thanks again

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: